Charging system problems? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Charging system problems?

As I run heated grips, extra lights and in cold conditions Electric clothing. And my complete charging system is cuput.. I'm seeking a source for a higher output stator & a series R/R. I been riding total loss for a couple weeks and only have a range about 30 miles. Just got my last journeyman Check and have decided that I want to cruise til it gets cooler!! You guys have any good advise????

Lean/Two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:41 PM

Yeah, reduce your electrical load. I would get rid of the extra lights first.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply waltermitty!! But live in deer country so extra lighting could prove vital to my survival? I've looked into replacing my Halogen headlamps (115 watts) on high beam, with an LED Cree system but have mixed advice about that? But only 50 watts total? Heated grips are essential in my environment below 50' F and maybe I'm just a wuss? But I prefer to use an Electric full jacket at much below that temp. I have E chaps,socks too! I can tolerate temps down to 20 for brief periods. I'm looking to improve rather than regress.

Lean/Two

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 06:38 PM

You have 336 watts to run the whole bike. LED lights are the way to reduce your demand. http://stores.advmonster.com/ has great products. Maybe he has an H7 conversion. I know he has an H4 conversion that works better than the halogen H4's. You can certainly get more light from your existing aux lights with less power by going with his set ups.

I'm no diplomat
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cothron View Post
Thanks for your reply waltermitty!! But live in deer country so extra lighting could prove vital to my survival? I've looked into replacing my Halogen headlamps (115 watts) on high beam, with an LED Cree system but have mixed advice about that? But only 50 watts total? Heated grips are essential in my environment below 50' F and maybe I'm just a wuss? But I prefer to use an Electric full jacket at much below that temp. I have E chaps,socks too! I can tolerate temps down to 20 for brief periods. I'm looking to improve rather than regress.
I live in deer country, too. More light ain't gonna spot a deer. I use heated gear, Widder vest. You can cut down a little by using leds in some stuff like instruments.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 PM

I hate the glare from them, but a HID kit on the low beam would free up 20W, ditch those auxiliary lamps, and if you think you need them, get some LED Rigid lights:

http://powersports.rigidindustries.c...lighting/50131

Two of those would use 60W instead of 115W (is that each one or both? I'll assume both) and you'd freed up 75W!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Your stator was operating at constant maximum output because of stock shunt type R/R, no matter how many powered accessories you may have been running. Stator load and heat will be reduced with series type R/R, especially with reduced current draw. I have an LED in my license plate lamp, and single amber LED's on fronts which compensates for my 65W high and low beams.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-S25-22...032400?vxp=mtr

Last edited by invader; 06-18-2014 at 11:40 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I'm following this thread with mucho interest...

LED headlight modules - including H7
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:17 AM

This maybe. . .

I had one as a kid. It might help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (14.9 KB, 62 views)

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

My extra lighting consists of a Trail Tech Helmet mounted 30 watt Hid so I can "scan" for critters on both sides of the road! I do not need jokes, only advice as to sources for to rewind my stator for greater output. I'm a former pro bike wrench and at one time had a local motor rewinder who would perform these kind of services for me,(on the cheap)! Sadly he has since deceased. Surely there must be people of similar talents? And yes Invador I'm going with the Compufire 55204 R/R when I revive my beloved Versys!!!

Lean/Two
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Just ordered a Compufire 55402 for the GREEN HORNET, yesterday. (Number changed after invaders post below...!)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-19-2014 at 04:07 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:42 PM

I live in Colo., much colder than TN. I too have heated grips and extra lighting. I've converted everything possible to LED. I usually my heated grips sparingly, as needed. Having handguards helps to cut down on the wind/cold on my hands. I only use my extra lights when needed (I'm running a set of PIAA's, planning to swap to LED's soon). As fro clothing, I don't bother with heated, too much bother, but I do have a 3 season and a one season jacket. I wear the one season jacket in the winter. BTW, I ride to work at 3 am, so it's down right cold in the winter, with the risk of snow/ice. Haven't killed mine yet.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
I live in Colo., much colder than TN. I too have heated grips and extra lighting. I've converted everything possible to LED. I usually my heated grips sparingly, as needed. Having handguards helps to cut down on the wind/cold on my hands. I only use my extra lights when needed (I'm running a set of PIAA's, planning to swap to LED's soon). As for clothing, I don't bother with heated, too much bother, but I do have a 3 season and a one season jacket. I wear the one season jacket in the winter. BTW, I ride to work at 3 am, so it's down right cold in the winter, with the risk of snow/ice. Haven't killed mine yet.
Your stator is always operating at its maximum output because of stock shunt type R/R, no matter how many powered accessories or how many LED's you may have. Any unused power is being shunt to ground.

Last edited by invader; 06-22-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode