Tapping noise when warm? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tapping noise when warm?

Tapping/Ticking noise. Increases with engine revs. Not super load, but I can hear it at idle and when riding over my aftermarket exhaust.

I'm going to check the valves anyways, could it be a tight valve tapping a piston?

Any other ideas?

I'm riding from Ohio to Los Angeles up highway 1 to San Fran and then the Redwoods in a week and then home someway. So, advice on this noise is greatly appreciated.

-Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Bug View Post

I'm going to check the valves anyways, could it be a tight valve tapping a piston?

Any other ideas?
IF one of your valves "tapped" a piston it would've stopped the engine with a BANG!

A LOOSE valve will tap. The old KLR mantra was... "A tappy KLR is a happy KLR". We all set the valves at the loose end of the limits, which is how I set my Vs' valves.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 PM

If it's a ticking noise from the right side of the motor then it is just the Cam Chain Tensioner. Sometimes it will get louder as the slack increases in the chain but then the CCT will spring out into its next position and tighten the slack thus lessoning the noise.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you FastEddie,

I have to ask, because with such small tolerances I've thought a valve could tap a piston in .00xx inches or so and make a light tapping. I've heard and read about bike owners discovering and polishing valve marks out of their pistons during a teardown on bikes that run fine.

I had a large cam that was shimmed too tight tap a valve with no damage in my RF900, just a slight scuff on the piston. When it was shimmed correctly the sound went away. But, that sound was much louder then this. Which is why I was wondering if it was a shim slightly outta spec .. and when everything expands much more outta sec.. so a tapping sound.

I've seen engines that have bent valves from pistons hitting them and they still run and didn't stop with a bang. Why would it stop with a bang?

Just trying to figure this out before I leave for 6,500 miles.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF one of your valves "tapped" a piston it would've stopped the engine with a BANG!

A LOOSE valve will tap. The old KLR mantra was... "A tappy KLR is a happy KLR". We all set the valves at the loose end of the limits, which is how I set my Vs' valves.

Last edited by Alien_Bug; 06-15-2014 at 04:56 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 02:39 AM

Feel free to drop me a note when you're on your way to SF. I've got a garage with tools if you need any basic maintenance like clean and lube a chain. I wish I could offer you a place to stay, but the in-laws are here. I'm heading up to Mendocino National Forest for a one nighter next weekend. If the timing is right, maybe you'd like to join me?

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I can hear it when riding over my aftermarket exhaust.
That's not normal. Year, mileage and maintenance? What type of oil is in it now?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

2009. 8,500 miles. The valves have never been checked, dealer said they don't do that for first service. Change oil every 3- 4K with Kawasaki 10-40. Changed it 3 times before 1,000 miles.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That's not normal. Year, mileage and maintenance? What type of oil is in it now?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...I've seen engines that have bent valves from pistons hitting them and they still run and didn't stop with a bang. Why would it stop with a bang?...
USUALLY when a piston and a valve try to "occupy" the same space, it either bends the valve's stem (so that contact becomes continuous) or causes a "dropped valve" where the head falls off and into the cylinder.

In my experience (mostly drag-racing) the engine goes "BOOM" because of the high revs...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:58 PM

Tapping noise at only 8500 miles

I could agree with either ZX6 or Invador? Is oil level OK? Could be just a loose valve tolerance? Or the cam chain tensioner is rachet type mechanism and allows a certain amount of lask before the chain wears enough to engage the next rachet "tooth"!! If you have both an 8mm & a 12 mm Wrench? the CCT can be reset.

Lean/Two
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for you help! Both exhaust on #1 were close to bottom tolerance so loosened them up. Both exhaust on #2 were much tighter, felt like a .21 or just under maybe. So , I loosened them up as well. This forum always helps out a bit, like when my damn fuel connecter wouldn't go back on a few minutes ago.

Hopefully, the adjustment and resetting the cam tensioner will do the trick.

If any one else chimes in with an idea what it could be , cool.

Tomorrow I'll ride it and see if it still makes the noise.

Thanks again!

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
USUALLY when a piston and a valve try to "occupy" the same space, it either bends the valve's stem (so that contact becomes continuous) or causes a "dropped valve" where the head falls off and into the cylinder.

In my experience (mostly drag-racing) the engine goes "BOOM" because of the high revs...!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 AM

Just to reiterate, my ZX6R, Versys, my buddys Z, all had "ticking". That is ussally the CCT. Resetting it as required due to the valve job should do the trick. But keep in mind it will probably come back, and thats ok if its CCT ticking. Now if its a tapping noise or dull dapping then that's different. My ticking kinda sounds like a sporter engine. And sometimes it's not there, other times it is, and sometimes it's louder, but then eventually fades away as the CCT adjusts.

Before buying my DS70 exhaust, I listened to a ton of videos of different exhausts on youtube. If you listen to enough, you will hear the ticking I'm refferring to on a lot of ER6N, Versys, and 650R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode