• 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
2011 Low Beam not working

Early morning all!

On my way to work one evening my low beam stopped working... Used my bright the rest of the way, worked my third shift, then went and bought a new bulb. Replaced it before work but still didn't work.

Next thought was a fuse, checked the main fuse harness, fuse next to the starter, replaced some that I thought could be having an issue but ultimately it didn't work.

I just switched out the regulator and still don't have low beam... so this is where I need help.

I am lost on what else to replace.

I changed nearly every fuse (just for ****s.. I have a lot), I replaced the regulator, I change bulbs... I don't have any power going to the low beam socket.

My brother and I spent most all Wednesday evening and most of Tuesday working on it. He ended up surprising me with LED lights which we mounted down near the front tire and tied it into my high beams so I have plenty of light with my high on, but I have zero light otherwise.

Checking the wire diagram I just don't know what else it could be other than maybe a wire that is shorted out or disconnected. Can anyone else think of what else it would be?

TL;DR:

Low beam isn't working. Replaced bulb, fuses, regulator and still no power to the socket that the low beam bulb plugs into.

Steve
34000 miles and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 05:26 AM

You have swapped a lot of parts but not done any diagnosis. I would buy a cheap multimetter or continuity tester as a start and check to see if you have power at the light socket.

When I changed bulbs in my '12 I was surprised to find a little plastic "thingy" on the base of the H7 bulb. Did you swap that "thingy" over to the new bulb?

I would suspect the headlight dimmer switch if everything else checks out.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I changed nearly every fuse (just for ****s.. I have a lot), I replaced the regulator, I change bulbs... I don't have any power going to the low beam socket.

Did you check this with a meter? Or.......
It does seem weird that just the lowbeam isn't working. Is the little parking light above the headlight working?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I'd be checking 2 things now that all fuses are ok.

Check the headlight low/high beam switch (mains/brights for youz'all)
contacts can get corroded.

Also check wiring with a multimeter. Multimeters can check for continuity ie. if thw wire has a break in it or not.

I wonder if you have you tried putting the High Beam H7 bulb connector onto you low beam bulb so you don't blind oncomming trafic? (that is if the cable is long enough)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 10:22 AM

Relay switch could be the culprit.

When u turn the key to ON, noticed that the lights are still off. When u hit the starter, the relay switch kicks in and starts the low beam. I am not sure where the location of the relay is, got to check the service manual.

Moisture may cause the magnetic latching arm to get stuck if there is a leak into the switch housing. Sometimes, a few impact taps onto the relay may loosen it up but the switch got to be changed soon, even if it began working again.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 10:34 AM

it was either Brian Curry or Don Eilenberger who said:

Quote:
Never trouble shoot with your wallet

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 06-15-2014 at 11:05 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
You have a wiring harness problem. Here are some simple tests; turn on key, but don't start bike, try high beam or passing switch, you should have no light; next start bike, you should now have high beam once bike is at idle, hit kill switch, high beam should still be on. If all this checks out, you have a broken wire or bad stakon at low beam socket. Headlight relay feeds the low beam direct and taps off to high beam switch.Too bad you bought all that stuff. Any further questions don't be afraid to ask, this is a excellent forum.
scott12837 likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I think the headlight relay is inside the sealed relay module next to the battery and fuses. If it is faulty you cannot fix it. A replacement is needed.
Test the harness connection there.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wasn't worried about the cost as I still have the old fuses (They all look good but just ruling them out), and the relay was used and cheap... So far I am only about about $15, and without knowing electrical systems it was worth it as a test. Besides, now if I am dead on the side of the road and need the relay I have an extra! Haha.

Thank you for the help, I will be trying that tonight when I get home.

Edit: As for troubleshooting, I don't have tools so I used two piece of wire shoved into the back side of the low beam and touched them together, nothing. Did it on the high beam, and they sparked so thats how I tested it. Crude I know but I didn't have a lot to work with at the time. Im already planning on purchasing the right tools, but I do appreciate the information.

Steve

Last edited by ZaethDekar; 06-15-2014 at 04:07 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
You have a wiring harness problem. Here are some simple tests; turn on key, but don't start bike, try high beam or passing switch, you should have no light; next start bike, you should now have high beam once bike is at idle, hit kill switch, high beam should still be on. If all this checks out, you have a broken wire or bad stakon at low beam socket. Headlight relay feeds the low beam direct and taps off to high beam switch.Too bad you bought all that stuff. Any further questions don't be afraid to ask, this is a excellent forum.
High beam stayed on when the bike was off so now to get the tools I need and trouble shoot the low beam harness.

I have a feeling it will be the wire I need to run as that would be my luck. Haha

Steve
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Very first place I would look is the socket the light plugs into, very good possibility wire burnt off in socket, what I would do is pull on both wires at the socket, don't be surprised if one comes right out and has melted plastic.One other thing you could do is start the bike, have the bulb in the socket but not inserted in the housing, try pulling or pushing / bending wires at socket, light might just come on, indicating bad / broken connection.

Myself I would check to make sure the ground connection is good using a continuity tester, if you don't have one you could use the new bulb you bought with two pieces of wire attached to the spade terminals, strip about 1.5 inches and wrap terminal, the wire you plan on connecting to the positive battery terminal, use electrical tape on the spade connection just so sparks don't fly if you touch the frame with bare wire. The other wire you use to check ground connection at socket of bulb, if the bulb lights up you have a ground, so the the problem is in the positive connection. If it doesn't light up, then it is possible you have a broken wire or burnt off wire, only the positive wire is switched, the negative ground goes direct to each socket.

So what I am saying is to keep it simple, I have big hands and I can change the bulb and get at the sockets without removing anything, taking things off if easier, however time consuming and several times I came close to cross threading the front fairing bolts.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-15-2014 at 08:51 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 AM

Garage
a multimeter is like $5 at harbor freight.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Garage
You may have already considered this, but the head light does not toggle on until after the engine has started. It stays on after the engine is started and then stopped with the kill switch. Just turning the ignition key to the on position does not turn the headlight on.

I replaced my low beam bulb with a cheap ($29) HID conversion kit I bought on ebay and feel the upgrade is well worth it. The light is brighter and it produces a pure white light that is more visible in daytime traffic. The kit includes a HID H7 bulb that is a direct replacement for the stock H7 bulb and a HID power transformer/ballast I attached under the cowling. The other advantage of HID is it draws less power than incandescent bulbs. The only disadvantage is that it takes 15 seconds or so to reach full brightness, like a florescent bulb, so may not be the ideal candidate for high beam use but in the low beam socket it works great.

Total install time was less than 5 min plus time to remove and reattach front cowling to provide access.

This has been one of my favorite "cheap" upgrades.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-16-2014 at 03:13 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
SO I solved the problem. The wire going from the regulator to the headlight is damaged. I ran a temp wire on the outside of the wire harness so I can have the low beam and when I have a little more down time I will be replacing the wire so it matches what should be there.

I appreciate the help this place offers. Now to get some pictures of the LED lights that are installed!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode