Fuel Tank Removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Tank Removal

Has anyone ever removed their fuel tank? How do you remove it? I'm eventually going to replace my tank with a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:51 AM

Invader's THE MAN.

Tim Brown,

If you need the manuals, find them at http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2846

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:48 PM

I took mine out 2 weeks ago, is not too hard but I recommend to have someone help you hold it while you unplug the overflow line, the fuel pump line, the fuel gauge plug and the fuel pump plug, put a towel under the line before disconnecting so you don't get gas on the plugs etc. YOu must also drain the tank before so you avoid any mishaps. The service manual will guide you correctly. Download them here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=manuals
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:49 PM

you should change the air filter while you are at it, or at least, inspect it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM

I wouldn't do it with a full tank, but I've had mine off numerous times and never bothered to drain it. Towel and a friend around are a great idea.

Machog

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 AM

Yeah, no need to drain it. I've removed my tank when it was full without any fuel leaking out. The extra weight just cuts in the back of my left hand holding the tank as I work the fuel line fitting. That red clip's ends have to be expanded to slide it back (not completely off) on the fuel line fitting. The red clip can then be slid back in place before reinserting the fuel line. You'll hear it click when it's properly inserted and locked in.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I want to remove it to replace it with a new tank. The tank that's on there now I dinged and scratched during my wreck last month (and yes I'll sell it here later). It looks like one could remove the tank in 1/2 an hour. I just have to decide if I want to do it or let the shop remove the tank. And I know they can't tell me it'll take a long time to do the work, so I know how much it'll cost me.

In other news--
I've cleaned the V. (I bought-it nearly in a mountainside ditch), stripped the rear & left step / "stay" holder, removed the broken front signal & fixture, removed the scratched front fender and reflectors, tossed the banged-up mirrors, removed the inner and outer cowling (the right side is undamaged), cowling support, windshield, and headlight assembly. I've removed the tach case, radiator cover, left pivot plastic cover, taken off the cracked rear & left blinker light lense, and replaced the handlebar, clutch cable and clutch assembly, left grip, left bar-end weights, replaced the gear mechanism's frame fitting piece & reattached the linkage and lever. I've had the seat recovered with marine-grade vinyl over memory foam at the local upholsterer (M&M great work and they are friendly too). I've installed new right-hand-side seat plastics & a grip. The left step, left-side pivot fitting, left-side radiator cover, left-side seat plastics & grip, and black side piece will be finished in a few days. Next up: the left-side radiator cover, the black plastic piece around the left side of the muffler, a straight linkage for the gear changer mechanism, a rear foot peg assembly, a left tail light lense, reassembly of the left-hand electric controls box, replacement of the lower handlebar riser and front fender, then replacement of the gas tank; I have to find out then why the wheel & handlebars are out of alignment 5 or-so degrees (possibly replacing the front end / frame), and then I have to replace the cowling support, cowling, tach case, headlight, left front signal assembly. I can only hope the frame is not bent (right now).

Last edited by tim_brown; 11-22-2009 at 09:31 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 PM

If you've done all that work, you can also remove the fuel tank... Your fork may be just rotated a bit in the clamps. If forks, triple clamps and/or frame are not bent, you can usually release the tension and straighten it back out by jolting your handlebars by hand with the front of the tire leaning against a wall, post or tree, etc. If not, try again by first loosening the triple clamps' bolts a bit (too much will make it slide down on the forks), straighten then retighten.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Here's a shot at the tank:

The other thing I wonder about is if this swingarm damage is critical for safety:

It was caused by the stay bending backwards and into the swingarm. The swingarm looks good but for that penny-size bend and dime-size dime-size gash.

All in all, repair at this level remains less expensive than a new bike, so it's all good while my leg and wrist heal.

Last edited by tim_brown; 11-22-2009 at 10:12 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

(OT) And if you do ding up your tank & bike and break your radius, this is what you might get as a post crash gift to yourself via insurance (if you have it):

Palm up, the titanium device on the right in the photo (it's upside down so you can see the screws) screws into your radius bone and wrist cartilage. You will have therapy until (and beyond) you can again grip the throttle.

GP racer Casey Stoner, I wonder, might've had the same type of surgery / device done up for him in the '07 season.

Last edited by tim_brown; 11-22-2009 at 10:32 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Is the back of that section bent in closer to the tire a bit? A good welder could repair that well enough. Drive chain has to cut off or removed with the swingarm if you want to have it repaired or replace it. I don't think it lost enough rigidity to be a safety factor...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

These photos show the swingarm from above:

What do you think?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 AM

It looks ok enough... How long before you can ride again? What about your leg? How did the accident happen? Anyone else involved?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

The accident happened the first weekend of October north of Franklin N.C. on US 441--the same place where 12 other people have had accidents and were either severely injured or died (according to the patrol officer).

I was headed for the inside of a left curve when the automobile ahead of me moved into the lane. The vehicle was moving into the lane as the driver signaled the lane change, and I was coming down a 7% grade, into it hard, trying to control the brake, and attempting to fight cold and rain. I don't know for sure but I don't think the driver knew I was there. To avoid the driver side-swiping me I had to make an adjustment back to right, which move caused me to overshoot the curve. I don't know for sure, somewhere along the road's side the wet grass or the shoulder caused a loss of traction and I was ejected while the bike went forward and down onto the left side. I hit the road and roadside with a significant thump face down and a follow-up slide forward about 60 feet into a muddy ditch's side. My helmet saved my face and life. My jacket saved my upper body (around here where I live many young and Harley riders don't wear a helmet and I often see them riding with t-shirts and flip-flops).

My leg suffered a non-displaced fracture and a PCL sprain. My radius was fractured in 3 places and my unla was fractured in one place. I think I might be able to drive again in mid January.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode