Anti-Lock Brakes System (ABS) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anti-Lock Brakes System (ABS)

Is there any way to add ABS to a US version 2010 Versys? I'm thinking that if the European version has it, then parts must be available and should fit the US version. Thoughts? Links?

Vendetta
A friend of mine once said: Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 AM

I would say is not worth the expense, it must be over a grand.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 AM

Some one costed this out, do a search its probably in here somewhere. In between the F*&king spammers.

It was very expensive as KK says.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:01 PM

If I recall, it has been researched and it's either far too expensive or almost impossible. Or both.

Personally I think Kawasaki should just follow Suzuki's example. In Canada you can't buy a new V Strom, GSX650F or their big scooter without ABS. I think it's a matter of keeping dealer inventories simple. If they keep the options limited they don't have to carry as much stock. It makes good business sense, particularly in a weak economy.

Since the Versys has limited appeal in North America, it looks like Kawasaki has decided to export only one model and they went with the cheaper one. A Versys without ABS packs a lot of punch for the dollar. Adding another $500 to $1000 to the price by adding ABS probably puts it into a more competitive bracket.

It's too bad, though, that they didn't decide to bring some ABS models into North America even to test the market for 2010. I'm sure there are people who would buy them and no doubt Kawasaki could steal some business from Suzuki.

Last edited by charly; 11-25-2009 at 03:03 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM

I wish they would offer one of the models in abs in the usa so I can get a new bike & the wife too.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 AM

Its coming. Lots of those that claim to know feel ABS will be mandatory within a year or two.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Bump to this thread. Anyone know if there is an update on this? The new 650 is available with ABS. How about those earlier US models without?

09 Green
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnymac View Post
Bump to this thread. Anyone know if there is an update on this? The new 650 is available with ABS. How about those earlier US models without?
What are you asking? The same question the OP asked? If so, the answer is the same. Can be done if you are willing to spend the money and time, but you would probably be better off upgrading to a '14 or newer.

I guess, with the '14s out, you could hold out for a wrecked one and maybe come out ahead after you sell off all the other parts.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 12:07 AM

FWIW, ABS works like a dream on these bikes! had the opportunity to test mine out the other day ;-)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
FWIW, ABS works like a dream on these bikes! had the opportunity to test mine out the other day ;-)
Do you mean USE it, or test it?

I have tested mine on the Connie and Voyager, but have never needed to USE it on the street.

I ride like I don't have it since my other bikes don't, but it is nice to know it is there for the time I forget how to ride and panic.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i honestly dont see the appeal of ABS,(on most bikes) i personally have been riding for over 20 years on and off road and yes there were times it could have been of use possible.....but i can think of meany other times it would be a hindrance, and if someone learns on a bike with abs and is use to braking to aggressively when they get on something without abs there going to have a bad time

the place i can see it being of good use it on something like a gold wing but a 650 not so much..
but thats just my opinion
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 09:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i honestly dont see the appeal of ABS,(on most bikes) i personally have been riding for over 20 years on and off road and yes there were times it could have been of use possible.....but i can think of meany other times it would be a hindrance, and if someone learns on a bike with abs and is use to braking to aggressively when they get on something without abs there going to have a bad time

the place i can see it being of good use it on something like a gold wing but a 650 not so much..
but thats just my opinion
Personaly I see ZERO negatives of ABS for the normal person. Yes there have been tests done and they can get a bike to stop faster without ABS than with it turned on. But all of these tets are done with professional riders, or top level racers. Lets see the same tests done with just a standard person who rides for enjoyment. I am sure the ABS will wi 99% of the time.

Haveing ABS should not change a persons braking habbits. It is only tere incase you get a tad over carried away on squeezing. I have ABS in my truck, and have used it on a few ocasions. That doesn't make me drive around flooring the brake pedal through the floor every time I need to stop.

As far as it being bad to have it if you may ride a bike in the future that does not.....That is just crazy. If we followed that idea all bikes other than the new Kawi H2 should be eliminated, because some of them allow yiu to just wack open the throttle with no worries of what may happen.....

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 09:50 AM

I learned on bikes without it, and now my 14 has it. It's better. I'd imagine it is going to be very difficult to find a bike without it in the future as previously posted.

If you want to keep your skills up you can always install an ABS toggle switch- it especially helps off road where abs can really suck.

2014 Versys ABS
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
If I recall, it has been researched and it's either far too expensive or almost impossible. Or both.
It is perfectly possible, I did look into it. I can't recall all the details but you'd need:

- Wiring harness.
- Dashboard.
- ABS pump.
- All brake lines.
- Left fork.
- Rear caliper carrier.
- Sensors.
- Left front brake rotor (ABS encoder).
- Rear brake rotor
- RR support bracket / ABS pump bracket.
- Misc brackets.

You're better off buying an ABS bike, specially now that the '15 are out the '14 leftovers will be very cheap.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
It is perfectly possible, I did look into it. I can't recall all the details but you'd need:

- Wiring harness.
- Dashboard.
- ABS pump.
- All brake lines.
- Left fork.
- Rear caliper carrier.
- Sensors.
- Left front brake rotor (ABS encoder).
- Rear brake rotor
- RR support bracket / ABS pump bracket.
- Misc brackets.

You're better off buying an ABS bike, specially now that the '15 are out the '14 leftovers will be very cheap.
Since you looked into it in detail, I have a question for you. If the ABS senses that the front wheel is locking up, does it modulate both brakes or just the front brake?

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If the ABS senses that the front wheel is locking up, does it modulate both brakes or just the front brake?
Can't answer for the front for sure, but with light front braking and heavy rear braking, it modulated the rear brake during lockup, with no felt effect on the front brake.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Since you looked into it in detail, I have a question for you. If the ABS senses that the front wheel is locking up, does it modulate both brakes or just the front brake?
Just the wheel that is locking up. Sometimes when braking very hard on uneven pavement I'lll get hard on both brakes and as the weight transfers forward the ABS on the rear brake will engage, but I don't feel the front brake lever pulsating. The ABS module is checking the speed of the wheels, when it senses an abnormal change of speed on a wheel it will engage, it doesn't wait for the tire to lock up to engage. On broken pavement, when the wheel manages to "float/skip" a bit as you're braking, it will engage even if you're braking lighltly as the wheel will reduce its speed faster when it is not touching the pavement.

Just "trivia", the Versys has Bosch Generation 8 ABS. It's functionally identical to the current Generation 9 ABS, it's just that the pump is larger and heavier. Other bikes having the Gen 8 are the F650GS (twin cylinder), F700/800GS and the F800R/S/ST/GT series, old Wee-Stroms (the Glee Strom got the Gen 9 as part of it's weight reduction), etc.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 11-22-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2010, abs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode