Problem with idle variability - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Problem with idle variability

Ok, I'm ready to ask this question.

For some time now my V has had an annoying issue with the idle. It goes like this. I start the bike cold and it revs up to 2K RPM just fine. And after a few moments, like a minute or so, it drops down, but instead of dropping down to 1,300, it is dropping down to about 1,100.

If that's all the happened, then simple, adjust idle. But NO! After several minutes of wanting to idle at 1,100, it then comes up to it's set idle at 1,300 and generally stays there. It seems to wait until it is fully hot and warmed up before settling into the 1,300.

This is a problem for several reasons:
1. When the idle is at about 1,100 it sounds bad and has insufficient RPM for smooth running and starts.
2. There must be some problem with either the mechanics of the choke system or the electronics of the fuel injection.

I am super picky about my machines running close to perfectly. It annoys the hell out of me to have something like this not work.

Do any of you have this problem? Any ideas on the cause or solution?

The bike has about 12K on it now and no I have not yet done a valve job or throttle sync. New plugs and air filter and all that. It doesn't make sense to me that this variability would be related to valves or throttle sync as when it warms up it runs just fine.

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Garage
I've experienced the same. (09 with about 4k miles) Only my lowest idle is set to 1300 sometimes its idling up at 1500 and warms up around 2k.

Sorry I can't help diagnose the issue, I'm not as bothered by it, but I have noticed.

Luck favors the prepared.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mac-man. Makes me think it may be a characteristic of the bike. But that would suck. And given the number of views and the lack of comments, I wonder if either the problem is so common it is unremarkable to most, or if it is rare enough to not apply to most?

2009 Versys 16K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 07:40 PM

Garage
Hi, I would say that the throttle position sensor needs adjusting. If it's about to have a service, make sure this is checked along with the throttle body sync. Both should be done after the valves, plugs & air filter.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salishversys View Post
The bike has about 12K on it now and no I have not yet done a valve job or throttle sync. New plugs and air filter and all that.
It was due for new spark plugs and a throttle body sync back at 7.5K. Do it ASAP and clean+oil your air filter. Check your valve clearances first if you can... How are you doing on oil changes?

Seattle is at low elevation... If you're not fully satisfied after the required tune up, you could try rotating your main thrrottle sensor counterclockwise by just a hair to add just enough fuel at idle and low thrrottle opening to cure lean idle hunting as well as the lean stumble which is worse at near 2,800 rpm.

Idle speed will always be a bit higher when colder outside, and slightly lower when it gets warmer than when you adjusted it.

Last edited by invader; 06-11-2014 at 09:44 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-man View Post
I've experienced the same. (09 with about 4k miles) Only my lowest idle is set to 1300 sometimes its idling up at 1500 and warms up around 2k.

Sorry I can't help diagnose the issue, I'm not as bothered by it, but I have noticed.
My '08 goes to around 2,000 rpm on high-idle after start, while my '09 only goes up to around 1,500 to 1,700.

BOTH are set to idle at 1,300.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salishversys View Post
Thanks Mac-man. Makes me think it may be a characteristic of the bike. But that would suck. And given the number of views and the lack of comments, I wonder if either the problem is so common it is unremarkable to most, or if it is rare enough to not apply to most?
I'm following this thread for information purposes. I'm not observing these characteristics on my bike, but if I do, I like to know what suggestions were made and what the out come was. I hope you get it figured out...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Idle speed will always be a bit higher when colder outside, and slightly lower when it gets warmer than when you adjusted it.
That's a good point. The weather this spring has been all over the place and I don't notice it as much when it's warm out...

Luck favors the prepared.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the input. I've no reason to think valves have anything to do with this though they need doing next. Would be interested in any rationale for how valves affect idle variability. The only idle adjustment I've made is the finger turned screw that sets base idle. Not familiar with the position sensor mentioned.

Need to decide if I am going to do my throttle sync myself or have it done. Haven't priced it. Have any of you paid and can share that cost? I have a vacuum gauge from working on my old diesel mercedes, but not a special motorcycle vacuum model home made or otherwise.

Bike really runs great, love it, and keep her in A1 shape. But this idle thing really does gimp my peace of happy machinery mind.

2009 Versys 16K

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:15 PM

As stated earlier you'll need to check the valves first before doing the throttle sync. Also the plugs and a clean air filter while your in there.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Plugs and filter already done and fwiw also regular oil and chain maintenance Valves affect combustion effectiveness, and therefore HP and fuel economy. If off significantly they can suppress idle. They would have no impact on the idle moving around like this. I've been adjusting valves for 35 years. Do it religiously on my cars. So unless someone has a rationale for how motorcycle valves impact idle variability I think we can agree it is time for me to do mine but it is not the cause of the problem.

Throttle sync may be related loosely, but seems unlikely to cause this searching.

Again, it's a minor thing but I notice it.

2009 Versys 16K

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 PM

Mine does it as well. Try not to think about it too much and just ride... Next we will be driving ourselves crazy with the CCT ticking.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6RTraded View Post
Mine does it as well. Try not to think about it too much and just ride... Next we will be driving ourselves crazy with the CCT ticking.
Do you hear your chain? I don't hear mine at all - no noise from there. Is your cam setting okey?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_M-aE_ttG8
Start worrying....

Anders B.
Sweden
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:53 AM

Garage
Its just the slight click at idle, mine does it sometimes.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
Do you hear your chain? I don't hear mine at all - no noise from there. Is your cam setting okey?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_M-aE_ttG8
Start worrying....
They all do it. They will get slightly louder untill the cam chain tensioner clicks out another click to take up the slack in the cam chain. My ZX6R did the same thing as did my buddy's Z1000. Clicking while rolling is the drive chain needing to be lubed. This is an actually ticking coming from the right side of the motor right where the cct is and ticks even at idle.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6RTraded View Post
They all do it. They will get slightly louder untill the cam chain tensioner clicks out another click to take up the slack in the cam chain. My ZX6R did the same thing as did my buddy's Z1000. Clicking while rolling is the drive chain needing to be lubed. This is an actually ticking coming from the right side of the motor right where the cct is and ticks even at idle.
Sure it s not the injectors clicking? (Sorry for the off topic, dear TS... I will restrain myself now )

Anders B.
Sweden
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Well is it noisier idling resting tilted on the kickstand or when it is vertical like when you are sitting on it?
Check Oil Level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode