Battery Tenders... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Battery Tenders...

Which is the best battery tender to get? Does it have specifically To be made for motorcycles?
I'm keeping my versys inside my house: call me crazy but my shed is falling apart and probably mice, raccoons opossums and squirrels together with all sorts of other more minute beasts are awaiting to eat at anything I put in there...
Thank you.

Last edited by cesk; 11-13-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:15 PM

I like the Battery Minder made by VDC Electronics. My DRZ400 battery is 4-5 years old and still good. Most DRZ400 owning folks who don't use something like a Battery Minder or Battery Tender only seem to get 1-2 years life out of their batteries.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 12:01 AM

I think any 12v tender would do just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 12:35 AM

Hi Cesk,

Chargers listed in the service manual page 512.

Using the optimate 4 now and no issues.
Had used the Battery Tender previously and also good.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:09 AM

Check out Harborfreight. I have one I got for about $6.00 couple of years ago. It charges at 600maps and cuts off at about 12.7 volts I think. I use it for 3 months continuously on my wife's BMW when we are out of town each year.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292

Its showing here at $10.00, but there are coupons and sales all the time.

Highly recommend it and price is right.
Machog

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:16 AM

great info.......TYVM.

side note.....My 09 Versys came pre-wired for a tender.
My dealer; "Macomb Power Sport" in Clinton township did the install. ( they do it on all the bikes they sell). So I have this small, capped plug mounted to the the rear frame all ready for convenient hook-up.
Very thought full and probably not too expensive for the dealer to do on all the bikes they sell....We are in 'the great white north' after all and maintaining a healthy battery is mandatory....unless you enjoy replacing 160 dollar batteries every year.

HOW COOOOOOL (pardon the pun) IS THAT !!!!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:21 AM

PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
great info.......TYVM.

side note.....My 09 Versys came pre-wired for a tender.
My dealer; "Macomb Power Sport" in Clinton township did the install. ( they do it on all the bikes they sell). So I have this small, capped plug mounted to the the rear frame all ready for convenient hook-up.
Very thought full and probably not too expensive for the dealer to do on all the bikes they sell....We are in 'the great white north' after all and maintaining a healthy battery is mandatory....unless you enjoy replacing 160 dollar batteries every year.

HOW COOOOOOL (pardon the pun) IS THAT !!!!
I will add a photo.....just as soon as I get my bike back from its first scheduled service.....DOH !!!!!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1955 View Post
I like the Battery Minder made by VDC Electronics. My DRZ400 battery is 4-5 years old and still good. Most DRZ400 owning folks who don't use something like a Battery Minder or Battery Tender only seem to get 1-2 years life out of their batteries.
I second that,I favor battery minders over the battery tender brand,they seem to do a better job and I have had two battery tenders go bad for what ever reason

AMA EAA STN
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I use battery tenders (the Schumaker brand, but my son has used the Harbor Freight one w/ good results), and as I spend 6 months in Alberta and 6 in Arizona, either my KLR and a car (in Alberta) or my Versys (in Arizona) are being "tendered". BTW, the bike batteries are removed from the bike, and in AZ charged in the house in a plastic tub, while back in AB the car battery is IN the car but disconnected to cut risk of fire.
Last April when I got back to Alberta my car battery was OK, but the KLR battery had gone dry necessitating replacement.
Now what I do is to run a timer set to come on for 1 or 2 hours in 24 w/ the tender(s) plugged thru it, so LESS chance to boil a battery dry.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 12:28 PM

This Battery Tender JR. you can attach a lead to the battery and it has a quick disconnect from the wall so you do not have to keep taking the seat on and off
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 01:06 PM

I've used the Battery Tender Plus on my Versys and prior GoldWing and V-Strom. It comes with both the plug in hardwire cable and the terminal clamps.

http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/...-at-1-25a.html

The GoldWing came from the dealer with the plug in hardwire cable already mounted. I just had to buy the charger and plug it in.

Tony
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 05:10 PM

Big +1 to the Battery Tender Plus made by Durand. I have two units for three vehicles. works great, wont overchange, and can leave it plugged in for months at a time. They come with both connectors and can be purchased for under $40 when on sale at places like chaparral.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:35 PM

Garage
Do you have to disconnect the battery completely?

Hi I have just bought my new (to me) 2007 Versys home.

I bought it and took it straight to the dealer to have the 12,000 km / 7,500 mile service done to it. They report it is in excllent condition, other than the tires needing replacing in the next 1,500 kms / 1,000 miles.

A question about battery tenders (since that is the topic). Do you remove both the positive & negative or do you just remove just the positive leads from the battery (or do you just leave everything connected to the battery)?

I would have never have thought of leaving things connected till I saw the Battery Tender Plus comes with "a quick connect harness for hard to reach areas".

Many thanks

Alan

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."

Last edited by bigaussie; 11-14-2009 at 07:05 PM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 08:27 PM

I leave the cable wired to battery with the quick connector zip-tied on a side tube. There is a cap to cover the quick connector end.

The Battery Tender Plus sits on the floor next to my parking area. I pull in and connect it, and I'm done.

Tony
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Now I have to make up my own mind.
And purchase one of these options. Thank you.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:10 PM

how often does/should one put the batt. on a charger?
my understanding is that you just do so when the bike will be sitting for extended periods of time (maybe like 5, 6 days...)

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:32 PM

The correct method is to check the specific gravity of the battery electroltye.
However this would be not practical for us. A fully charged 12V battery should have minimum 12.6V tested with a voltmeter.

Anything between 12.5 and below, battery needs to charged with a low ampereage charger. The battery last longer this way.

When idle, the battery does drain itself slowly. Hence, charging with a charger is a quick way to bring it back full. The bike alternator also do the job but will take a much longer time to bring the battery back to a full charge.

Some info:
http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/battery.htm
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/battery.htm

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 03:51 AM

Hi Bigaussie,

Had posted this before:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=charger

Before having that special direct connector plug, used to put the charger's clamps direct to the battery terminal for charging.
Did not disconnect the battery terminals.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 11-15-2009 at 03:56 AM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post

Before having that special direct connector plug, used to put the charger's clamps direct to the battery terminal for charging.
Did not disconnect the battery terminals.

Hi ST Lee & Others

Thanks for your comments. My previous expierence with battery chargers was with a 4x4, and I always disconnected the battery first.

I will get a battery tender with the connector and leave it hanging out the side and zip-tie it as suggested.

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to StarLight
I ordered yesterday an XtremeCharge 12V motorcycle battery charge maintainer

http://www.xtremechargers.com/collec...attery-charger

Will let you know what it does with my battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode