Battery Tenders... - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok ...silly question. I live in Iowa. Bike and jet ski sit in my garage which is attached to house. is the battery tender they way to go? or should I remove batteries and bring indoors and then put on a tender? It is more convenient to leave batteries in....but does that shorten the life span of the battery if we have sub zero temps occassionally?

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Sub zero temps will only hurt a discharged battery. If you remove the batteries and bring them inside they will be protected from freezing but will self discharge, and discharged batteries sulfate. The best options in order of preference are:

1. A full time battery maintainer, not a charger. It doesn't matter if the battery is inside our outside.
2. Bring the batteries inside and trickle charge them for a few hours every 3 or 4 weeks.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Has anyone used the Extreme battery product that Starlight purchased? It looks like a good product but it is a little pricey compared to the Battery Tender (I have the JR version.) brand that is more prevalent.

It will be interesting to hear the feedback from Starlight.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
psc

I am currently using three Deltran Tender Jrs: two cars and one moto. They all seem to maintain my batteries pretty well. But I also have this fancy unit that I have hooked up to my daily ride and it works just as well, with a bit more info. If you have some cash to throw away, or just won the Lotto, go there: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...eme-charge.htm

$ well spent.

Peter
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to StarLight
psc, that's the XtremeCharge unit I just ordered and that drsaunders is also requesting feedback about; looks like you're happy with it?

what I liked about it in regards to other battery tenders, is that it can charge at up to 2.5A when needed instead of only offering a trickle charge; I expect it will keep my battery well charged at 14.5V
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 AM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLight View Post
psc, that's the XtremeCharge unit I just ordered and that drsaunders is also requesting feedback about; looks like you're happy with it?

what I liked about it in regards to other battery tenders, is that it can charge at up to 2.5A when needed instead of only offering a trickle charge; I expect it will keep my battery well charged at 14.5V
This unit is versatile and automatic. So you just plug and play. I've used it on my Lifeline AGM as well as the small moto batteries. It senses the battery requirement/capacity and charge accordingly.

I doubt that you want to have your battery charged up to 14.5V at all times. I believe that 13.5V is probably a more realistic level consistently, but can surge up to 14.7V occasionally.

Peter
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 AM

PSC--Thanks. That article is good information on the Extreme unit. It will be interesting to see if the device holds up as well over time. It looks like it is quite the high-tech device.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:41 AM

I wired my V for heated gloves directly to the battery terminals. Is ok to leave them connected and also connect a battery tender?
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebbert View Post
I wired my V for heated gloves directly to the battery terminals. Is ok to leave them connected and also connect a battery tender?
Yes, I have two different connectors on all my bikes. One for the Battery Tender and one for the Electric Jacket\Gloves. Both wired to the battery.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 01:05 PM

Small batteries are extremely sensitive to being left partially discharged or repeatedly cycled. They will sulfate up and die very quickly under these conditions. I've been using the Deltran Battery Tenders for over 15 years now, and have had no problems whatsoever. Currently, I'm using four on motorcycles, one on a generator, and one on a vintage Jeep. The generator battery is a big group 31 truck unit, and it's ten years old and still going strong. These tenders use pretty sophisticated circuitry to monitor the battery condition and keep it fully charged without overcharging. I regularly get 5 years life out of a bike battery because I plug the tender in if I won't be using the bike the next day. The Battery Tender Jr. is adequate for motorcycles. I bought two through Amazon at a really good price, so shop around.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to StarLight
The XtremeCharge arrived today. After having installed a European plug on the cable (I learned something new, that you use green for ground and black and white for live and neutral in the USA; most of the world has a green and yellow striped cable for ground and brown and blue for the current ) I plugged it on my battery.

First the testing light burned for 10 seconds, then charging; my battery was still pretty much fully charged so it took only a couple of minutes to arrive at 100% and switch to trickle maintenance charging. Will leave it like this for the next three days, I'm off on saturday only.

The unit looks and feels the part. Fully closed heavy/thick plastic box without any ventilation or screw holes, solid weight, indicated also for outdoor use on the back text panel. The front has clear, easy to read LEDs and labels, and it's all easy to understand as well.

Looking good, so far
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 PM

I have a question about batteries in storage (removed from the bike) and tenders. If the stock battery is sitting inside at room temperature, how long before it will have to be discarded? Can you save/retrieve a battery that has lost its charge?

Second, can you use a 12V 2AMP tender on the 12V 1AMP battery that comes with the bike? Is there a problem mis-matching the amps?
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_ekpyrosis View Post
I have a question about batteries in storage (removed from the bike) and tenders. If the stock battery is sitting inside at room temperature, how long before it will have to be discarded? Can you save/retrieve a battery that has lost its charge?

Second, can you use a 12V 2AMP tender on the 12V 1AMP battery that comes with the bike? Is there a problem mis-matching the amps?
Don't confuse things...buy a Battery Tender, plug it in, it does the work. I am still on the original battery in my Victory, 4-1\2 years. I get off the bike, plug in the Tender.

Same for both Kaw's.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode