Location, location, location. Aux lamps - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Location, location, location. Aux lamps

After long deliberation, I finally decided on what and where to mount some auxiliary lights. I first had to wait for my Hepco & Becker crash bars, to come back from being powder coated. I had the idea of mounting some Piaa's off the bars, somehow.
After installing the bars, that gave me a better idea of what lamps to get. I chose the Piaa 004X/XT, with the thought of mounting the lamps to the ends of the crash bars center section. But if I did that, I would have to fab a new center section with ear extensions for the lamps.
While measuring and giving things careful consideration, I came up with a new location. This location would take fewer resources and less time to fab. So far it has.

I'm still in the mock up stage. I'll be making the bracket out of some sturdier material. And the beauty of this bracket is one pattern for both sides. All that is needed is to bend the ear in the other direction.

I'm also installing a aux fuse panel under the dash. It will cut down on the wires needed from the battery to the lamps, Sirius, Battery Tender plug and power port plug. More to follow on that end.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:43 PM

If that bracket is going to have a non-crashbar mounting location (as I have SW Motech bars) I can pay you something to make a 2nd set for my incoming LED driving lights.

Tony
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

The bracket will mount to the top radiator cover location, just above the turn signal. I'm in the process of finding the aluminum stock to make them. Guess I could fab a second set, or more if it's profitable.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

That looks good! And so does your powder coated crash bars!!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 PM

When you make the actual bracket, either use a gusset or make the bend with a generous radius to avoid having it buzz and crack along the bend.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Like the idea in general. There's one thing I wonder...will they wash out your turn signals?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:54 PM

Hi If6was9,

The light and HB looks Good
Bones asked a good question, though...
At full left lock, is the aux light blocked?
Regardless, it's

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
That looks good! And so does your powder coated crash bars!!
Thanks! Yea, the shop that did the powder coat did a great job. Turns out I could have save myself a good chunk of change if I didnít order a special order powder. Turned out their stock metallic silver was a closer match to the bikeís silver metallic. For the untrained eye, ya canít tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
When you make the actual bracket, either use a gusset or make the bend with a generous radius to avoid having it buzz and crack along the bend.
Iíll be using extruded aluminum angle. Youíre right; I may have to gusset the bend. Weíll see if thatís necessary. Iím confident the material will be sufficient to hold up and not cause oscillation (buzz).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Like the idea in general. There's one thing I wonder...will they wash out your turn signals?
I thought about that. These lamps are driving not fog, so the beam is focused. I donít think it will be a problem. Havenít gotten that far along in the process to find out. All I can say is watch for a follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Hi If6was9,

The light and HB looks Good
Bones asked a good question, though...
At full left lock, is the aux light blocked?
Regardless, it's

The lamps donít interfere with the steering head or forks. If the beam is blocked at full lock, who cares. My point is, while youíre under way at speed, God forbid you have the bike at full turn. That would mean one thingÖ youíre goiní down.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Brackets fabbed and mounted. Now the fun part, gettin' them wired.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:31 PM

I like that!
Let us know if you're gonna fab up some brackets, cause I would like a set as well.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Add one more set -- I'd be interested in them, too.

========
steph moore
New Mexico, USA
2008 Versys (a/k/a Hellboy)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 PM

Piaa driving lights brackets

if6was9, should you not have time to fabricate your brackets for a possible group buy or for several of us; why not consider sending us a template in 1:1 size in order to make one for ourselves. Thanks for your consideration...I love this forum!

There is never a shortage of new areas to see and explore.
How many lifetimes could one spend exploring every road that's worth exploring?
One of the great pleasures of my road trips is in the discovery of great places to drive or ride (sometimes by planning...sometimes by serendipity).

2008 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys
1989 HONDA NX250
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about the update delay, 20,000,000 things to do. I finally got the wiring done. I was able to find a mount point for the provided Piaa relay, along with a secondary fuse box under the fairing. That way I have one wire back to the battery for the lamps, Sirius, power plug (not yet mounted) and Battery Tender plug. I'm still looking for a waterproof push button switch for the Sirius power supply.
I had a chance to ride over weekend last, and one annoyance did present it's self. The lamps throw off a nice beam, but they also light up the forks and fairing cavity. I may try to come up with a visor for that. No vibration (buzzing) and from what I can see, no problem with the turn signals getting washed out. I'd like to actually see what the bike looks like at a intersection to get a better review.
Great lamps! Love the additional light they provide, and the color of them makes you more visible.

For those who would like a pattern, ping me a private message with your address. I'll send the pattern via postcard.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 02:33 PM

Those look great.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Here are some switches:

http://trailtech.net/switches.html

Tony
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
Here are some switches:

http://trailtech.net/switches.html

Tony
I'm looking for a waterproof push button on/off, lighted preferably. I've been able to find manufacturers sites, but no retailers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode