Can't stop the wheelies - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can't stop the wheelies

I'm at a stop sign. No traffic just me. And all of a sudden I feel something take over my mind and next thing I know I'm on one wheel and have a big smile on my face. I know it's wrong and shouldn't do this but the V makes me do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 PM

Yeah it does love wheelies. I noticed that pretty quick.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM

The scary part is when you think you've navigated a slow turn onto a road in second and then you goose it......Only to find you were in first!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM

Short wheel base high center of gravity. My Buell was the same way. Like ZX6RTraded said grabbing a hand full of throttle when a gear (or 2) lower will "Sky" the front end.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
"The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 09:53 AM

I want to practice wheelies on the V but I'm just too chicken to do it. I'm afraid of "popping" the clutch.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 09:44 PM

I'm terrified of the thought of popping up the wheel. Damn thing will go right over on me I'm sure. I sometimes take off aggressively, but have come nowhere near popping the front end. I think I would have to grown up doing wheelies on dirt bikes or something to be comfortable with that.

Would like to watch one of you though

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 02:57 AM

I also get amped on versys wheelies. I think maybe four feet is the highest I've gone so far. I'm still scared to pop it up really good but those little ones just get me more and more curious to actually try to get them down. Anyone have any good tips on the easiest and fastest way to pop em up and practice on the versys?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 AM

first gear start rolling let off so the nose dips a bit and then get back on the gas and it goes right up with no help from the clutch. At least that's what works for me. I let my buddy (trusted and far more experienced than me buddy) ride my v, and he was able to bring the front wheel up in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear in quick succession. Its one of those things if your not comfortable doing it, maybe you shouldn't do it, but I guess you gotta learn somehow. Just be Super careful the V is a very light twitchy bike. The torque makes it easy to give it a little too much.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Think maybe I'll try wrapping my V in bubble wrap first before really practicing. Ha! Thanx for the tip mr. Thomas. Wish me luck. Versys or bust!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salishversys View Post
I'm terrified of the thought of popping up the wheel. Damn thing will go right over on me I'm sure. I sometimes take off aggressively, but have come nowhere near popping the front end. I think I would have to grown up doing wheelies on dirt bikes or something to be comfortable with that.

Would like to watch one of you though
My suggestion: ALWAYS have your rear brake lever 'covered' when you start a wheelie, as you can bring the front DOWN w/ a quick jab on the rear brake.
(I'm also told your front brake will do that TOO, as long as the front wheel's turning.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I'm at a stop sign. No traffic just me. And all of a sudden I feel something take over my mind and next thing I know I'm on one wheel and have a big smile on my face. I know it's wrong and shouldn't do this but the V makes me do it.
So true... Except for the traffic - I'm almost never alone since I'm a daily commuter, approx. a total of 80 km, back and forth to work. Next year I'm turning 60, I should know better but I cannot help myself even though I try.
At least a couple of wheelies a day might not keep the doctor away - but they will keep me happy.

Anders B.
Sweden
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
So true... Except for the traffic - I'm almost never alone since I'm a daily commuter, approx. a total of 80 km, back and forth to work. Next year I'm turning 60, I should know better but I cannot help myself even though I try.
At least a couple of wheelies a day might not keep the doctor away - but they will keep me happy.
I'm 67 and popped an inadvertent wheelie a while back cranking it hard from 1st to 2nd... It was a loooong and low one but it just made my day!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Be careful if you traveling to Florida. They can seize your bike for "Unsafe Behavior" if they want, From what I read while there it seems a "Grab Bag" of things that the Officer can site you for and then BAM your bike's on the hook and you're walking! seems kind of illegal to me but they got the guns and courts.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I'm 67 and popped an inadvertent wheelie a while back cranking it hard from 1st to 2nd... It was a loooong and low one but it just made my day!
"...inadvertent....", that I will believe when pigs fly...

Anders B.
Sweden

Last edited by anders55; 06-07-2014 at 04:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode