Rear hub bearings - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear hub bearings

Anyone had to replace these yet? The manual says "Since the hub bearings are packed with grease and sealed, lubrication is not required."

I have 27K, it seems there is excessive noise coming from the back wheel. (it's not the brake pads rubbing)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Thats not very many miles

My limited bike experience says those bearings shoud last at least 75k but I'd check them, something is making noise and it could be that.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 AM

27k? - depends what enviroment you live in, but jet washing is the usual suspect for premature wear.

Can you rock the wheel, feel play? rotate the wheel and feel roughness?
ditto the carrier bearings .
Can normally tell when rotating by hand if rough. Not too expensive or very hard to replace though

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Do they ever need to be repacked with grease?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

@ 133bhp - no free play, the shop checked just what you described. Course you can't really hear it without a load. Riding home, after they told me bearings sound/feel ok and coudn't hear the sound i was describing, i thought more about my chain.
It has tight spot, chain seems stretched on the other side, by a good inch or so . Me thinks a new chain is what i am needing.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 PM

On the original chain (now you tell us ) yep, probabaly time to invest, they've done well. get a complete kit though.

You can just Prop the bike and run it staitonary (not too fast!) can see/hear all manner of things you cant on the road.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Do they ever need to be repacked with grease?
Not sure if the V uses double sealed? Either way, not normally, but if I'm in there on my other bikes, I'll give them a splodge to keep the water/dust out if nothing else. Its hard to properly pack open beraings without being in your hands.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I wipe off all the grease on the bearing and seal, and fill all the space behind plastic dust cap with Amsoil synthetic grease when it's new, then once a year or so. This leaves no space for water and dirt, and the outer bearings end up getting a bit of new grease exchange...
New chain and sprockets should take care of your noise, Mr Crappie Killer. Also, an OEM dampened countershaft sprocket is quieter than without the rubber damper.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Good advice invader - due for a tire also - so will do the chain and tire at the same time. Is that Amsoil arousal, how about DuPont in the blue can? Sprockets look great, and i think i like the stock set up.
Now to make up my mind on a chain. Did some searching and i think dollars is going to predict what i get. I like the gold.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrappieKiller View Post
Good advice invader - due for a tire also - so will do the chain and tire at the same time. Is that Amsoil arousal, how about DuPont in the blue can? Sprockets look great, and i think i like the stock set up.
Now to make up my mind on a chain. Did some searching and i think dollars is going to predict what i get. I like the gold.
I use Amsoil NLGI #2 synthetic heavy-duty grease in my bearing hubs, and Maxima's synthetic Chain Guard Crystal Clear chain lube (not Chain Wax) for the drive chain, but will try Amsoil's Synthetic 5th Wheel & Open Gear Compound 11.5 oz spray can.

DuPont's Teflon® Chain-Saver Lubricant in the yellow can is pretty good too.
http://www2.dupont.com/Products_and_...ales_sheet.pdf

27000 miles on original chain and sprockets? You better replace your sprockets to go with your new chain.

Last edited by invader; 11-05-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode