Pilot Road 4...should I be worried?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pilot Road 4...should I be worried??

Hello,

I have just ordered new set of tires (PR 4) for my upcoming tour in europe with my wife...
I went straight to take the appropriate version for a versys 650...then I saw that there are other options in PR 4 i.e. Trail and GT...
as you recall my be, in the past I was tempted by taking the GT version because of the extra weight on the bike (top + side cases and my wife) but the available size for the rear tire is 170/60/17...so I spent too much time searching the internet on what could go wrong with a tire slightly bigger than the OEM recommended tire...I got mixed answers...so I dropped this idea...

Now that I have pulled the trigger on the normal PR4..after payment I started worrying again especially that I gained 3 more kilos...

was it the right decision to stick to the OEM or could I have gotten the GT which is slightly bigger but is designed for heavier loads...??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 AM

I am very happy with my PR4's. They stick very well and are holding up fairly well in two-up (overloaded) conditions. They shine in the twisties and they really suck in the snow and dirt. If you ride on the street, you have made a good choice.

With both of us on board with all our gear and a couple days worth of supplies the suspension, brakes and engine are all busting a gut but I have no qualms with the tires.

As for the Fatfoot some have asked me about see this post.

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 05-13-2014 at 11:58 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Great! Sounds reassuring...

I know it is an embarrassing question but could you tell me the total weight of both of you with gears with and the cases loaded?
What PSI did you have one each wheel?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 AM

Low sided first ride on mine. New tires + dirty roads = I'm an idiot. they just seemed so nice and sticky fresh. Oh well. So far love them otherwise.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
Great! Sounds reassuring...

I know it is an embarrassing question but could you tell me the total weight of both of you with gears with and the cases loaded?
What PSI did you have one each wheel?

Fully loaded with all of our gear: 440lbs 35psi front 40psi rear

I'm no diplomat
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

great ! thanks a lot!

my wife and I with gears are around 418 lbs...so I will add around 70 lbs of luggage and then I should be fine..
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I put the GTs on the Concours . A lot more going on than just weight. The power to the rear wheel was also considered. I don't think you have a safety concern. More of a "how many miles will this tire last?". I would run the max cold pressure printed on the sidewall if you think you are loaded to the max.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I put the GTs on the Concours . A lot more going on than just weight. The power to the rear wheel was also considered. I don't think you have a safety concern. More of a "how many miles will this tire last?". I would run the max cold pressure printed on the sidewall if you think you are loaded to the max.
I see. My concern was not about how many miles because I am having currently the PR3 which is still look very good after 11.000 KM so far...however, I got a nail on the rear wheel and thought about changing it...

if the safety is ok (which apparently is according to the responses so far) then the rest is fine.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 AM
MTS

Funny I checked into the same. Wanted a tire that would last a long time. GT is not recomended for the V650.

From eveything I have heard you should be fine just top off with a little extra psi.

I really like the MPR4's so far!

Best of luck on your trip!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2018 at 07:48 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You'll be fine with the regular PR4's

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:30 AM

I am a large guy 250 lbs and regularlle carry my aluminum panniers with me loaded. I think the heaviest I have done so far with gear was a 90 lbs of gear spread out on the seat paniers and rear rack. I could not tell you what every thing weighs, you may want to get heavier weight springs. This is on my list when funds come available.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
You'll be fine with the regular PR4's

Always a pleasure to have your enlighten and enlightening input Joseph

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Now that I have pulled the trigger on the normal PR4..after payment I started worrying again especially that I gained 3 more kilos...

was it the right decision to stick to the OEM or could I have gotten the GT which is slightly bigger but is designed for heavier loads...??
I suggest that you run higher pressures - I've run 36F and 42R on BOTH Vs since new (75,000 miles between them), as well as the SAME pressures when I had a KLR. IF you read some of the ride reports by "jdrocks", you'll find that he (and 'he' is a BIG he...) runs right around the same 36F and 42R I do, and does NOT "air-down" on dirt (which is WHERE Dave USUALLY is...)!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Always a pleasure to have your enlighten and enlightening input Joseph

Thanks,

When it comes to putting a lot of weight on the Versys thats the norm for me. Big guy, 2-up and carries lots of stuff.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Thanks,

When it comes to putting a lot of weight on the Versys thats the norm for me. Big guy, 2-up and carries lots of stuff.

When I saw your pics with your previous versys a felt assured but also some pain for your V

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Absolutely. Versys 650 is built to take it, but it's still a middleweight with a 650 twin... Michelin's regular Pilot Road 4 is perfectly ideal for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode