09 versys won't start - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
09 versys won't start

all in this video and if you know what that sound is or what's wrong I'd appreciate it.

here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DIOq-6Tcdc

No Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:18 PM

Sounds like the starter isn't engaging properly, or it is getting just enough juice to turn, but not enough to turn the engine. It could be caused by a dead (or close-to-dead battery), by a poor electrical connection to the starter, or by a failing starter. Of course, that's just my guess from what I saw/heard in the video.

BTW, I doubt you'll be able to push-start it. It's an EFI bike and the vast majority of EFI engines can't be push-started.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post
Sounds like the starter isn't engaging properly, or it is getting just enough juice to turn, but not enough to turn the engine. It could be caused by a dead (or close-to-dead battery), by a poor electrical connection to the starter, or by a failing starter. Of course, that's just my guess from what I saw/heard in the video.
That's what I was thinking too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post
BTW, I doubt you'll be able to push-start it. It's an EFI bike and the vast majority of EFI engines can't be push-started.

(In my best Johnny Carson voice) "I did not know that... That's interesting stuff"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:30 PM

Won't start

I would check the battery terminal connections, if they are not real tight you could get enough juice to fire up the electronics but not enough for the starter. My terminals were loose from the dealer, similar problem as yours.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM

I am pretty sure it is an issue with the starter solenoid. Sounds like you have plenty of juice but the solenoid isn't pushing the little starter gear fully into engagement with the ring gear on the motor so they are grinding together instead of engaging. I don't think you can replace one without the other so would probably mean a new starter. Good luck at the dealer! J.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:37 AM

FYI, you can bump start the V. A buddy and I were up in Asheville last week when it was really cold and I'd been running my heated grips (no relay installed yet, I know!). Went into our favorite Mexican restaurant to have a great super and thaw out and my grips were on the whole time. She wouldn't crank when we came out but I had enough juice for the fuel pump to run so we pushed her up the hill behind the restaurant and she started on the second try. No problems the rest of the wknd with her.

It worth trying to bump start her. Let us know the outcome Slowfaller.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It does look and sound like loose battery connector(s) or ground.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:00 PM

I'd look at the battery terminals, make sure they are nice and tight, then check connections at the starter. Solenoid ? maybe , but that's rare for a new bike or any vehicle. I think a faulty solenoid wouldn't even get the starter to engage, you'd only hear a cliking. ( or am i wrong here?)

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 PM

Most likely is the battery or it's connections.
Check the voltage or the battery, it might not have enough juice. Should be 12.6 fully charged.

Good Luck.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies,,the battery connections are solid so I'm going to charge the battery and see what happends. At least this battery is easy to access unlike the suzuki s40 I had previous!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Should be under warranty still if anything major is wrong.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:21 AM

How's your V doing, Slowfaller?

Best Regards.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

oops, i replied to the ppl on youtube but not here, sorry to leave ya hanging...

It was the battery, I plugged in a battery tender for maybe 40 min then it turned right over. Thanks!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode