high idle on start up can it be removed - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
ggg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
high idle on start up can it be removed

Can the cold start high idle be bypassed on the versys?

some pics would be good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Not sure but why would you want to do that?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Remove the fast idle cam held on right end of subthrottle shaft by a nut with an 8mm socket, and replace it with a washer.

Last edited by invader; 05-10-2014 at 12:18 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 AM

Garage
What are the reasons for it doing it, and why would you want to stop it from happening? I live in the frozen north, in Ontario on the 49th parrallel, and we have cold weather riding, so I'd like to know.

Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
ggg

it doesn't get that cold is south Australia and i don't ride under 15 deg c... also even when the bike is warm it pisses me off how it high idles for a few seconds/ minutes when it does not need to, i may only stop for 30 min from fully hot on a 25 deg c day and it goes into high idle for a short period on start up.

I can always reverse it.... thanks for advise Invader.

Last edited by ggg; 05-09-2014 at 11:30 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 07:57 AM

The higher idle provides additional oil pressure to get your oil up where it's needed most after it's been sitting and the oil has been drained back down into the bottom of the engine. Removing the fast idle might cause more problems than it solves for you.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Since we are on this controversial subject. What is up with people blipping the throttle? I know several guys who hit the starter and then blip the throttle. Are they trying to get the idle to drop quicker?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Since we are on this controversial subject. What is up with people blipping the throttle? I know several guys who hit the starter and then blip the throttle. Are they trying to get the idle to drop quicker?
Trying to be "Cool"? Piss-off the neighbors? Having a Fonzie flash back? Who knows?

I see no reason at all for that in a FI bike and very little on my KLR with it's, more or less modern carburetor. A lot of folks grew up (or DIDN'T ) when bikes had very simple carbs that didn't work very well without a lot of up keep. The Bing on my bikes didn't HAVE a choke at all, they had a "Tickler" that just drooled raw gas into the the motor and all over the cases. You then had the kick the beast to life (on a good day maybe 2-3 time to get it to fire up ). You didn't want to kick all day so once it did fire you'd "Blip her" to keep it from stalling.

Now I mash the button and leave the bike to warm while I gear up. Then I'm off.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-10-2014 at 05:57 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
The Bing on my bikes didn't HAVE a choke at all, they had a "Tickler" that just drooled raw gas into the the motor and all over the cases. You then had the kick the beast to life (on a good day maybe 2-3 time to get it to fire up ). You didn't want to kick all day so once it did fire you'd "Blip her" to keep it from stalling.
Yeah, I have Bing 53's on my other bike. The fun part is that you have to do less tickling if it's warm outside, or sometimes no tickling at all...

I guess this explains why a Honda carb of roughly the same vintage has 5 jets and my Bings only have 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode