New Hyperpro shock - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Hyperpro shock

Just installed my new Hyperpro shock. Details to follow, I have pics but no test ride yet. The short of it is it took me 30 min for the install, using 3 tools, easy as pie. Shock was $589 but I also added a remote preload adjuster, so that bumped it up another $200 or so.

Anyway, my rear was shot, so this should be a nice improvement, especially once I freshen the forks. (maybe this weekend).

The shock is well made, and NO PURPLE spring, got the black one, looks great on the bike.

Details to follow tomorrow after a test ride for set up and some pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:03 PM

When you say the rear was shot, do you mean that the OEM rear shock or spring had gone bad?

I certainly hope I don't have a suspension failure in my future.

The rear shock on my unused dirtbike has 0 damping, and I remember that scene in The Long Way Down where one of their rear shocks died and puked oil all over the rear of the bike.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Marc11 is at over 17000 miles, and mentioned that his Hyperpro shock/spring assembly "should make the bike handle much much better over the very tired stock shock."

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 01:59 AM

Post some pics of the preload adjuster and the spring also where did you buy the spring at
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 05:22 AM

It's probably Hyperpro's Type 469 3D Shock as listed for the Versys. The rising-rate full progressively wound spring is available in purple or black.

http://www.hyperpro.com/index.asp?page=rearshocks

"The 469 shock is named 3D due to the design possibilities of this shock by developing a motorbike specific shock. This full adjustable shock has proved its qualities on the racetracks and roads through the world for several years already. The successor of this shock will be Type 462.
Feature: rebound adjustment / high/low speed compression / optional length adjustment / optional hydraulic preload adjuster."

http://www.wilbersusa.com/hyperpro-m...cle-shocks.htm

"Because we believe and we know there is room for improvement, Hyperpro has developed the new 3D shock. Hyperpro is able to guarantee one hundred percent quality, because this shock is manufactured totally in-house. The many light-weight billet aluminium parts have been CNC machined in the Hyperpro factory as well. We never use (more fragile) cast parts for our products.
The compression and rebound damping are both completely adjustable with high and low speed adjustments for compression damping .
We use a rising-rate full progressively wound spring for better absorption of small bumps and pavement "chop" while still offering good control on bigger bumps or for higher rates of speed.
We use a larger shaft diameter for more strength and more oil displacement which allows better fine tuning of damping. Larger diameter also allows for greater durability.
Our 16mm shaft (2 mm larger than Ohlins shock) has a CNC - carbon nitrite coating to minimize stiction (just like you see on high end forks).
Hyperpro uses a new seal design which has been proven through the rigors of motorcross in Europe to provide superb durability and very low stiction. Tests between this seal and the standard competitors seal show 3x the life...
The Hyperpro 3 D shock utilizes bladder technology in the reservoir to separate the oil from the nitrogen gas. Other manufacturers use a floating piston. A floating piston has to overcome stiction before it can react. A rubber bladder does not "know" friction and reacts smoother and faster to pressure changes."

Last edited by invader; 10-23-2009 at 05:30 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Right that is the shock, minus the remote reservoir which doesn't with with the Versys. Spring came with the shock for my weight and the fact that I use hard bags 100% of the time.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Can I safely assume that it is totally rebuildable by the consumer? In other words I want access to the shim stack. If so, might have another thing to add to http://www.versysfarklefest.com/.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Yes, also has a 5 year warranty and the rebuild spec is about every 25,000 miles.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 AM

hmmm....I wonder how it compares to the penske. Also, does the "emulsion" 460 have the "bladder" technology?

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Yes it has the bladder technology, I spoke to them about it and they went on and on how it is better than a piston. No idea if it is better or worse than a Penske, but then again, I was only able to confirm Hyperpro and Wilbers made shocks for the Versys. I emailed Penske themselves and a few dealers, no one ever replied. Only Wilbers and Hyperpro got back to me.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pics:

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 11:15 AM

So how does it ride? Is it a big improvement?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

No idea. I spent yesterday changing the fork oil, plugs, coolant, oil, new rear tire and so on, complete service and today it is raining pretty heavy. Hopefully I can get it out tomorrow.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Love the black spring!

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Got out for a short test ride on some of the bumpiest roads I know, these are roads that make my car bounce around and on any of my bikes are a jarring experience. Front end feels GREAT with the heavier oil. I set the rebound where it was before I changed the oil and it is pretty much perfect. Fork dive is 1/2 of what it was and overall the compression stroke feels great.

The shock is nice on the road, very controlled and over small to normal bumps it feels good, in fact I hardly notice bumps that used to have the old shock compressing really fast. Big bumps like frost heaves are much better, still a bit harsh, but far better and not jarring at all compared to my old shock. This is with my not touching the clickers nor checking to confirm my sag, I still need to do that.

Add this with the new rear tire and man, it feels like a new bike. Just need to check my sag to confirm it and maybe make minor adjustments to the shock.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:42 AM

The Hyperpro shock and spring assembly is just beautiful, and very desirable. Did you get it from http://www.wilbersusa.com/hyperpro-m...cle-shocks.htm ?
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Yes, really good service from Klaus and Dee.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:29 AM

What weight oil did you use in the front?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

I mixed 10w and 15w, I originally thought I would go 65/35 10w vs 15w, but in checking how much 15w was left over I am betting I went 60/40 10w/15w. My goal was to make them just a little stiffer than they were stock, so I was looking for a 12w. Honestly, I am betting I could have gone full 15w and still been happy.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 AM

What was the volume of fork oil you used, assuming you measured?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode