GPS iPhone app? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GPS iPhone app?

Looking for a GPS/Nav app for my iPhone. Google Maps works great for directions, but doesn't display MPH and some other important info that standalone GPS units show.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 AM

I've been using Navigator. Its an open source GPS nav app that uses maps stored on your sd card so you aren't dependant on phone data connections and fees. Surely there is an equivalent for the iPhone.

I'm no diplomat
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Looking for a GPS/Nav app for my iPhone. Google Maps works great for directions, but doesn't display MPH and some other important info that standalone GPS units show.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
I use Navigon (Garmin) on my IPhone 4 and am very pleased with it. It stores the maps on the phone and does not require a data connection.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 AM

MotionX Drive is one I've been using. To get voice nav, speed limits, and a few other extras it's $9.99/year. If you have a trip where you know you will be out of cell range, you can tell it to cache the route in advance so you have a complete complex map of the entire route. Else it just looks about 20 miles ahead and keeps pulling in the latest map including traffic as you go along. I use it more in my car than on the moto.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 04:24 PM

I have tried almost all of the GPS aps for the iPhone 4S with the exception of the full Garmin ap. My favorite is GPS CoPilot. It is free, but you have to pay for a few of the extra features. It works as well, and has just as many features as any of the Garmin or Tom Tom devices I have ever owned. It does not need data, and you can pick and choose which maps you want based on the memory you have.

Honestly, I don't know how Garmin is still in business. The iPhones internal GPS is so effective, it will even show me walking around inside my house on the map.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:00 AM

MotionX Drive fan here. Works great 99% of the time. It has lead me astray once and Google Maps got me to the right place. I notified MotionX and they fixed the database.

I also have Navigon but prefer MotionX.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 AM

GPS iPhone app?

Navigon....did 10000km tour in europe last summer and it was great...doing another tour in europe in three months from now but with my wife and still I will use it again...in fact I bought a used iphone 4 from ebay for only 45 usd, will install navigon on it and will have it permanently mounted on my bike!

By the way it works completely off line, you will download all the maps so that you require only gps signal..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Most phone GPS links suck the life out of the battery real quick. Does everybody have their phone hardwired, and if so what was the process. I know some wiring items have been posted before, but thought I would add this question to the thread.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 05:35 PM

Just drop the cash and get a Zumo. I just picked one up and it is well worth it!

Hooligan
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Most phone GPS links suck the life out of the battery real quick. Does everybody have their phone hardwired, and if so what was the process. I know some wiring items have been posted before, but thought I would add this question to the thread.
I hooked up a power outlet and use a charger cord for my Galaxy. Same thing will work on an Apple. I thought about hard wiring it in but decided not to. With the power outlet I can hook up many things, not all at once of course, to run/ charge them. I have a rechargeable flashlight, MP-3 player, if I don't want to use the phone, compressor. All I have to do is grab the right cord and plug it up.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
Just drop the cash and get a Zumo. I just picked one up and it is well worth it!
Ah no... I can't think of a single reason to buy a $600+ dollar unit in favor of a smartphone.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Ah no... I can't think of a single reason to buy a $600+ dollar unit in favor of a smartphone.
Because a smartphone that has coverage everywhere you might ride requires an iridium satellite connection and that will be way more than the $535 I paid for a Zumo 660LM. Plus, I can use it in the rain, see it in the sun, use it to answer the phone without pulling the phone out of my pocket, stream music to my headset, work it with my gloves on, etc.

Smartphones are nice but around here you will spend at least $85 a month for a smartphone with limited features if you want nationwide coverage.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Because a smartphone that has coverage everywhere you might ride requires an iridium satellite connection and that will be way more than the $535 I paid for a Zumo 660LM. Plus, I can use it in the rain, see it in the sun, use it to answer the phone without pulling the phone out of my pocket, stream music to my headset, work it with my gloves on, etc.

Smartphones are nice but around here you will spend at least $85 a month for a smartphone with limited features if you want nationwide coverage.
Iridium satellite... what? It uses GPS satellites. The price is a whopping $535 less than you paid for your $535 Garmin, on a two year contract with $44/month, taxes/fees included. (Koodo, Data 39, Tab) I have used it in Germany, France, Italy... and, yes, all over the USA, including my rental car drive to the Grand Canyon 3 weeks ago. All free. Nationwide Coverage? You don't need ANY data coverage. No data connection needed, just a WiFi connection to download the maps you want. My phone case is waterproof, and is as easy to read as a fellow riders TomTom Rider in the sun. You don't need gloves because it is voice activated and linked to my Sena SMH10.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 03:25 AM

I am not an astronaut and I don't understand much the irritium or irridum..
here is my set up:

used iphone 4 (dedicated to the bike) : 40 USD
ram mount: 15 USD
Navigon: Europe 44, morocco, USA: free..
waterproof case: 12 USD

Total: 67 USD.

maps are downloaded offline. so you don't need data or anything else except your GPS signal..

I love my set up...traveled in europe last summer using it last and will be using it again this summer for another tour in europe...

Zuma cost : 550 USD - 67 USD = 483 USD

for 483 USD I bought:

givi V35 + rack for 320 USD
galfer brake lines (both front and rear): 50 USD
Kyruaky highway pegs : 63 USD

currently in Paris with my wife where we went to a good restaurant for 50 USD

this is what I made out of the zumo cost
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got the Motion X Drive app yesterday and gave it a little workout. Only cost $0.99, but then realized you have to pay the addtional $8.99/year for the continuted voice support systems. First month is free. Impressive app, but hard for me to view the IPhone 5 where it sits in my tank bag. so now am I am asking about types of mounts and water proof cases that you folks like. Will post up the question in a new thread.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 03:15 PM

new to the smart phone thing

I have a Galaxy 5. I'm new to this smart phone thing. Now what ap would work for me without eating my data up? I want to put the map for the Dakota Adventure loop on it. We're doing that on KLRs in a few weeks and I want to have my own navigation and not be dependent on others. Can you guys point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode