Plugged vent tube containing oil? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Plugged vent tube containing oil?

Cleaning my chain I discovered this:

It appears to be motor oil. The clear plastic tube goes up and connects to the bottom of the airbox. Someone please tell me if this is normal. Does it indicate something is amiss and should I do anything about it?

I'm no diplomat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Cleaning my chain I discovered this:
It appears to be motor oil. The clear plastic tube goes up and connects to the bottom of the airbox. Someone please tell me if this is normal. Does it indicate something is amiss and should I do anything about it?
Probably due to over oiling the air filter the last time it was cleaned... Take out the black plastic plug and drain the tube. I do not think you'll see that much more oil in the tube again after doing that.

Anders B.
Sweden
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

No, its definitely not oil from oiling the air filter. It must be engine oil sucked from the crankcase.

I'm no diplomat

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
No, its definitely not oil from oiling the air filter. It must be engine oil sucked from the crankcase.
Okey, then you might have a problem. Could it be worn piston rings causing a pressure inside he motor, which escapes this way?
Is the oil level in the motor where it should be?
How many miles do you have on the bike?

Anders B.
Sweden

Last edited by anders55; 05-04-2014 at 12:12 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 01:35 PM

Could it be that you overfilled the crankcase? If this is the case oil will be blown into the airbox and then drain down into catchcan.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 01:57 PM
djg

Drain it, see if it does it again and how soon. When was the last time you looked at this, ever?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Yep..and yep.. I have NEVER looked at that tube. The tubing is discolored so my guess is its been in there a while. I let the dealer do the 600 mi service years ago...that is the only time its been overfilled with oil. It really is a very small amount so I'll just keep an eye on it. If it fills up again I'll be looking harder at Ander's response...17850 miles no oil use and the oil level is right where it should be...I check this even more often than tire pressure I'm afraid to say. Thanks for the input guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140504_105954431_HDR.jpg (35.2 KB, 64 views)

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 05-04-2014 at 02:16 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Aha, overfilling by . That could definitely be the cause.
If it doesn't take any oil I don't think that you should be worried. Just keep an eye on the tube, like you say, check again after a couple of months.
Good luck!

Anders B.
Sweden
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

That was a Typo...Thats 7850 miles not 17850...I'll open the airbox and clean the air filter....its time anyway.

I'm no diplomat
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
One of our "clean-air" solutions is to vent the crankcase thru the airbox so that the fumes get burned in the engine, and that line goes from the airbox low point, so you drain it out now-and-then. That's all that is.

That line is VERY easy to "kink" when you remove/ replace the airbox when 'doing' the valves....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The crankcase vents into bottom of airbox, right beside that plugged hose. It's plugged to prevent dust ingested through it in airbox's negative pressure whle engine is running. It also prevents the oil from dripping down on road and rear tire, and allows you to see how much if any is accumulated.

Was your engine oil overfilled at all, and do you like to rev the engine out a lot? It's not that bad for 7850 miles total.

Last edited by invader; 05-05-2014 at 09:14 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The crankcase vents into bottom of airbox, right beside that plugged hose. It's plugged to prevent dust ingested through it in airbox's negative pressure whiue engine is running. It also prevents the oil from dripping down on road and rear tire, and allows you to see how much if any is accumulated.

Was your engine oil overfilled at all, and do you like to rev the engine out a lot? It's not that bad for 7850 miles total.
Yes on the overfill..was overfilled at 600 mile service and I didn't notice until after the 12 mile ride home and overnight settle..the sight glass was completely occluded by oil. I drained to a proper level. Yes, I keep the engine wound up quite often and have made several sustained 100+ mile efforts at 80mph +

I'm no diplomat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode