Front sprocket nut - wont budge - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front sprocket nut - wont budge

Trying to remove the front sprocket nut. Yes, the washer has been bent back out of the way and the correct 1/2 drive socket is being used. I even tried an pneumatic impact wrench using 120 psi. Won't budge.

Any ideas?

Modificatious Neverenditis is a sickness I love to have
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Read through this...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...et+Nut+Removal

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 PM

I'm just about to do this too...thanks for the tips and tricks in previous threads!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In order to get mine loose I had to add a 48" cheater to my breaker bar and borrow a LARGE neighbor to lean on it. The first "ping" is the toughest, after that it came off easily. Some recommend putting a block through the wheel, but then you have to compensate for rubber cushion in the hub. I just applied the rear brake while the large neighbor did what came natural.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroadie View Post
Trying to remove the front sprocket nut. Yes, the washer has been bent back out of the way and the correct 1/2 drive socket is being used. I even tried an pneumatic impact wrench using 120 psi. Won't budge.

Any ideas?
I put a block of wood in between the rear spokes so the tire wouldn't move and used a big breaker bar on the wrench. I had to stand on the breaker bar and the nut came loose.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I also padded the block of wood in rear wheel with dense blanket to avoid denting the swingarm's thin aluminum wall... Broke nut loose with extension pipe on 1/2" drive breaker bar and 6-point 1-1/16" (26.9875mm) socket.

Last edited by invader; 05-17-2014 at 07:33 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 10:13 AM

Maxed-out compressor to 160 psi, 3/4 impact driver and presto! nut came off. Maybe the guy who tightens it at the factory needs to have his fingers broken.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 11:19 AM

How many replaced the "rear sprocket washer" as recommended in the service manual? I think that's the piece that has the bent side.

I'll pick up a 6-point socket today. It would be nice to have a good 6-point set. They seem to come in handy often.

2011 Imperial Red
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
How many replaced the "rear sprocket washer" as recommended in the service manual? I think that's the piece that has the bent side.

I'll pick up a 6-point socket today. It would be nice to have a good 6-point set. They seem to come in handy often.
Not me - I re-used the originals. When looking at sockets - doesn't hurt to get them as "impact sockets"....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 01:21 PM

I picked up the impact socket, eventually got the nut off. Replaced the sprockets and chain and found out my torque wrench doesn't go to 92 ft lbs and I also couldn't get the nut torqued down to the limit of my wrench on my own. I found a shop that could squeeze me in. Nice piece of mind knowing that it's torqued properly.

On another note...the aftermarket front sprocket that I installed (Sunstar) did not have the rubber dampener. The guys at Sprocket Center kindly convinced me that it would be fine and that all chain and sprocket combinations will sound different. It does sound different, but it doesn't sound louder than stock.

2011 Imperial Red
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
I picked up the impact socket, eventually got the nut off. Replaced the sprockets and chain and found out my torque wrench doesn't go to 92 ft lbs and I also couldn't get the nut torqued down to the limit of my wrench on my own. I found a shop that could squeeze me in. Nice piece of mind knowing that it's torqued properly.

On another note...the aftermarket front sprocket that I installed (Sunstar) did not have the rubber dampener. The guys at Sprocket Center kindly convinced me that it would be fine and that all chain and sprocket combinations will sound different. It does sound different, but it doesn't sound louder than stock.
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a 1/2" torque wrench ($9.95 w/ a coupon from Cycle World) which WILL go quite a bit higher...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode