Hot Grips (Oxford) Wiring Help Request - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hot Grips (Oxford) Wiring Help Request

I am trying to test my heated grips but when I connect the leads to the battery the fuse blows. I have tried connecting with the grips and switch attached, with out them and inserting the fuse after I connect the leads. Any suggestions? I will be putting in fuse block with relay shortly, but I just wanted test the grips now.

Thank you,
Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvienna View Post
I am trying to test my heated grips but when I connect the leads to the battery the fuse blows. I have tried connecting with the grips and switch attached, with out them and inserting the fuse after I connect the leads. Any suggestions? I will be putting in fuse block with relay shortly, but I just wanted test the grips now.

Thank you,
Colin
Did you try a multimeter with the switch set to resistance/ohms between the leads for +/- and make sure there's not a short circuit?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
Did you try a multimeter with the switch set to resistance/ohms between the leads for +/- and make sure there's not a short circuit?
Thanks, I will give that a try. If there is a short circuit, the reading should be zero correct?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvienna View Post
Thanks, I will give that a try. If there is a short circuit, the reading should be zero correct?
Right. Set the Ohm range you want to use (e.g. 1K, 10K). Next, some meters are calibrated by touching the two leads together and adjusting a dial to make it exactly zero. Then, touch the two leads to the two accessory leads that would normally connect to the power source. If it's zero, or low enough resistance to promote too-high current flow, that might be the source of the problem.

Better advice will likely come from someone who's installed those grips.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
Right. Set the Ohm range you want to use (e.g. 1K, 10K). Next, some meters are calibrated by touching the two leads together and adjusting a dial to make it exactly zero. Then, touch the two leads to the two accessory leads that would normally connect to the power source. If it's zero, or low enough resistance to promote too-high current flow, that might be the source of the problem.

Better advice will likely come from someone who's installed those grips.

The readings were all ove a range of 4 to 0.4 ohms. I think this is problem. The controller must be faulty.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode