White Smoke at Start - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
White Smoke at Start

So the wife is afraid to ride her Baby she calls Beulah. She's a 2008, barely 6000 miles I think, we came home monday the 12th after riding just under 500 miles in the capitol reef area. Monday night back home it rained a little over night, even my bike got wet.
My wife is a very easy rider, never red line, slow acceleration ( drives me nuts), only gently laid bike down in driveway a couple times, never downed at any speed, no off roads,
The last two days or 3 the wife is concerned about exhaust smoke. It start's to smoke after its been warming up for about 30 seconds and it stops smoking after two or three minutes. Air moisture is pretty high in the AM's now, and it's in the lower to mid fourties at 8:30 am.The smoke never lives longer than maybe 1 1/2 feet away from the exhaust hole. So there is no smoke filling the air like a forest fire. ( Last bike did that with 300 miles)
Wife has done some research of possible causes, she's now asking the forum thru me if somebody has had the same problem. We'll be bring the bike in to our mechanic on Monday anyway, but she'd still like to have peoples opinions.
Thanks

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Andreas; 10-17-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:01 PM

Sounds like condensation to me. Make sure the oil isn't overfilled. Air filter clean?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
Sounds like condensation to me. Make sure the oil isn't overfilled. Air filter clean?

Me too. Cars do it as well....

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
I'm pretty sure oil is fine, changed oil 2 months ago, new filter and synthetic oil - Red Line 10W30. Don't think the air filter is dirty, but good tip. Should be looked at and probably blown clean, mainly pavement roads.

BEAR - I said samething to the misses, but the last bike I had started similar to this, then I filled the driveway with smoke and my neighbors yard. Dealer said I what do you expect for a lowend bike. ( suzuki GS500f ) Anyway, this is burnt into her memory chip, she's worried that Beulah might need Major surgery. Boy did that sound dumb.

I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Andreas; 10-17-2009 at 05:18 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
I'm pretty sure oil is fine, changed oil 2 months ago, new filter and synthetic oil - Red Line 10W30.
Why are you using 10W-30 car oil, when it should be 10W-40 JASO MA motorcycle oil? This is your wife's Versys?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure oil is fine, changed oil 2 months ago, new filter and synthetic oil - Red Line 10W30. Don't think the air filter is dirty, but good tip. Should be looked at and probably blown clean, mainly pavement roads.

BEAR - I said samething to the misses, but the last bike I had started similar to this, then I filled the driveway with smoke and my neighbors yard. Dealer said I what do you expect for a lowend bike. ( suzuki GS500f ) Anyway, this is burnt into her memory chip, she's worried that Beulah might need Major surgery. Boy did that sound dumb.
Only white (rad leak) that persists after warmup and blue smoke (at any time) is bad. Every bike I have ever owned had a little white smoke while warming up (especially on cold mornings)... Why are you using 10W-30 oil in the Versys?.... 10W-40 syn minimum...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Me too. Cars do it as well....
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Why are you using 10W-30 car oil, when it should be 10W-40 JASO MA motorcycle oil? This is your wife's Versys?
My Typo 10W40 - and the Red Line I have is for Motorcycles.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Yep, condensation.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 PM

I believe my esteemed fellow members are correct in their assessment of steam, not smoke, from condensation boiling off as heat builds in the exhaust system.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 PM

hold a cool piece of metal flat stock or a makeup mirror to the "white" smoke if it is steam condensation you will see water droplets.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Milanowski View Post
hold a cool piece of metal flat stock or a makeup mirror to the "white" smoke if it is steam condensation you will see water droplets.
+1 on this. Good troubleshooting skills Mark.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

So what was the outcome?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
So what was the outcome?
Bill looked , watched, sniffed, and said what 99% of us were saying. Condensation, it's very normal. But he also went into detail of why this is, not only due to colder weather, but because nowadays the engines are running very lean. That's why we'll see water droplets on the exhaust pipes, just look at new vehicles while stopped, (I can't explain it like he did.)
But bill will also perform a compresion test, give her a little tune up and make sure everything is properly tightened, etc. The wife was happy to hear this from a Mechanic, even though this site and another agreed that it was condensation.

Thanks to everybody for their input.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There sure is exhausted steam from condensation of the water normally produced upon gasoline combustion, which is more visible in colder ambient temperatures and/or in higher humidity and/or with engine+exhaust not fully warmed up. Gasoline does combine with 12 to 15 times as much air containing about 20% oxygen. There's almost one (~0.988866) gallon of water produced for every gallon of gasoline burnt. There's also acid vapors and other toxic fumes mixed in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Why are you using 10W-30 car oil, when it should be 10W-40 JASO MA motorcycle oil?
Quote:
Redline actually does have a 10W30 motorcycle oil, besides their 10W30 car oil.

Last edited by invader; 10-29-2009 at 04:37 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's the good stuff! Use with confidence.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacktracker View Post
Wow, that's the good stuff! Use with confidence.
Yeah it's good stuf, my mechanic recommends 'RED-LINE' products, we run the oil and fuel additive. The onlything that sucks is the cost of the oil. But it's still cheaper than a new engine.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 PM

Just what we needed, ANOTHER oil thread...
A tip I got from an oldtimer many years ago to check smoke/condensation is to use a clean white handkerchief over the exhaust pipe while running. Burning oil (smoke) will stain the hanky a lot quicker than mere condensation.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 08:27 PM

Try using a different gasoline brand, no additives.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

She's happy - I'm off the hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallkrish View Post
Try using a different gasoline brand, no additives.
Wife uses only best ( most expensive gas) and different stations. I have not put an additive to her fuel for a long time. My bike however almost every 2nd or 3rd tank gets the oil / additive, I'm just under 10K miles, no smoke. And I'll push the bike at times.

Wife is okay with how things are now. A Mechanic ( not me ) looked it over, come spring time she'll have Bill at 4 Season Cycly do a spring-time tune up with possible Valve adjustment.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 PM

glad you got that resolved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode