MPG for versys 650cc same as S10 1200 cc ?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
MPG for versys 650cc same as S10 1200 cc ??

Hello,

One thing that I couldn't understand is that how comes Versys 650 has almost the same MPG as the super tenere 1200 cc??
here in my country gasoline costs 1.54 USD per liter and if I get the same consumption with a 1200 cc then I have no excuse to go for a bigger engine ...any thoughts??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:36 AM

Motorcycles get relatively poor gas mileage because they are about as aerodynamic as a brick. It takes about the same amount of hp to push a Super Tenere down the road at 70 mph as a Versys because they have about the same frontal area and coefficient of drag. Mass only comes into the equation when accelerating so a heavy vehicle will do worse in stop and go/city situations.

Bigger motors are less efficient because of friction losses. It takes more energy to push a big piston up and down in a cylinder than a small one.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Motorcycles get relatively poor gas mileage because they are about as aerodynamic as a brick. It takes about the same amount of hp to push a Super Tenere down the road at 70 mph as a Versys because they have about the same frontal area and coefficient of drag. Mass only comes into the equation when accelerating so a heavy vehicle will do worse in stop and go/city situations.

Bigger motors are less efficient because of friction losses. It takes more energy to push a big piston up and down in a cylinder than a small one.
Thanks for the explanation. I took note of the stop and go/ city situations, but on average the MPG is almost the same, I mean one would "strictly theoretically" think that 1200 cc will consume almost the double of 650 cc, but reality has shown that the difference is minor...my whole fear with bigger engines was only for the MPG...nothing more...now that I a realized that Super tenere has almost the same MPG...I am getting second thoughts...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
Hello,
.......any thoughts??
Thanks
In my country gas is even more expensive, over 2,15 USD a liter.
There are more costs and aspects involved than the gas bills when it comes to owning a bike. How about driveabalitity for the main purpose you use the bike for (the height, the weight etc..)?
Then we have insurance cost? Here they charge more the bigger (and thus powerful) the bike is. And so forth...
But I guess you were just interested in the consumtion issue...

Anders B.
Sweden
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
There are more costs and aspects involved than the gas bills when it comes to owning a bike. How about driveabalitity for the main purpose you use the bike for (the height, the weight etc..)?
Then we have insurance cost? Here they charge more the bigger (and thus powerful) the bike is. And so forth...
But I guess you were just interested in the consumtion issue...
sorry for the cost of gas in your country... I thought mine was the highest after Italy (ie. 1.85 euro!!)

Yamaha reliability is proven so through bigger engine might involve more maintenance, overall it is bearable.

strangely enough, insurance in my country is the same for any bike with a cc higher than 500 cc. so there is no difference in cost.

when I sat on a super tenere last week, I could put my feet fully on the ground and I felt that still it does not look bigger than my body (I'm 6"1'). it is definitely larger than versys which might be a bit difficult for parking in small Mediterranean cities but then it is not abnormally large though...the main advantage of tenere for me now is to be able to ride two up with my wife easily...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:22 AM

Super Tenere is a very nice bike. I've ridden a couple. I like the shaft drive. I don't like the fact that it cost about double what a Versys costs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Super Tenere is a very nice bike. I've ridden a couple. I like the shaft drive. I don't like the fact that it cost about double what a Versys costs.
If its only about fuel efficiency the Versys is a terrible choice. There are cheaper, more fuel efficient rides out there. Comparing a Versys to an honest (though heavy) dual sport doesn't make much sense in my book. Take a hard look at the riding you plan to do with your expected load, road conditions and distances. Maybe you should broaden your choices. Is the XT660X available in your neck of the woods?

I'm no diplomat
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
:
Ouch, I thought price here was bad for 95 octane, $2.25 NZ or $1.92 US per litre.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
If its only about fuel efficiency the Versys is a terrible choice. There are cheaper, more fuel efficient rides out there. Comparing a Versys to an honest (though heavy) dual sport doesn't make much sense in my book. Take a hard look at the riding you plan to do with your expected load, road conditions and distances. Maybe you should broaden your choices. Is the XT660X available in your neck of the woods?
I compared both only in terms of fuel efficiency on the basis of my wrong perception that bigger bikes consumes automatically more gas.
I am perfectly aware that versys and super tenere are both different leagues...I had the chance to try the super tenene of a friend and I had a very good impression...I am not complaining about the current versys MPG...versys is still the best bike I had so far and I am still very happy with it...the only thing that I considered is that super terene is far more comfortable for a two up riding + of course the ABS and TCS which are a big plus for me at least
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I run two Kawasaki bikes which both have 19 litre fuel tanks, if not hitting throttle hard then one bike will get just under 400km on a full tank and the other will get 320km on a full tank.
The versys 650 has a curb mass of 209kgs, the ninja 1000 has a curb mass of 231kgs, the bigger Ninja will also go through fuel a lot faster than the versys if you really open the throttle.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:50 AM

It is natural to assume that a larger cc engine would consume more.
My Versys 1000 consumption is the same or even better than the 650 was although the hp is about 80% more. The 1000 is only about 70 lbs heavier though.
I really don't worry about fuel on a bike but it was a nice surprise.

2013 Versys1000
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:13 AM

Take a look at a CB500X if you are conserned about MPG. 71MPG isn't bad at all

Hooligan
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:36 AM

Some of those gas prices are pretty high. In central Texas, 87 octane is approx. $1.05 USD a liter.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Some of those gas prices are pretty high. In central Texas, 87 octane is approx. $1.05 USD a liter.

Anders B.
Sweden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode