Brain damaged need help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Brain damaged need help

Ok have spent the last couple of days installing driving lights on the V. Got the trail tech 50 watt lights and the lazer star wiring harnes with relay. Have installed the lights on the forks that went well. Installed the wiring harness, run the wires and made all the required connections. Didn't hurry read all the instructions and even followed them to a T. Put the finishing touches on the project tonight and tried turning them on and nada! Tried a couple more times bike running w/high beam and without still nada! re-read all instructions twice. (must be in panic mode reading instructions more than once) Changed power source from high beam to running light still nada! The relay is clicking just no go on the lights. Has anyone used this wiring kit or does anyone that's smarter than me(that would be everyone except my English bull dog Gus)(and somtimes I wonder about that he seems to get his way around here more than I do) have any tips or comments to get these things running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM

check,check, double check

i hate to say it but double check everything... as in... do the lights illuminate hard wired to the battery? Try to skip the relay only and does everything work that way? is there a circuirt breaker on the circuit you are tapped into? it may trip with too much load on the circuit........... if it all checks out.. you may have a ground on the relay either not attached when it has to be or reversed with a power input... don't forget a relay will operate even if it's wired backwards, you'll have a ground where there should be power depending how the relay is built.... oh yeah.. you did check the (fused) power input to the relay, right?

Last edited by scooter650; 10-14-2009 at 12:01 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 AM

Post Polarity

Tech lights are polarity specific...Black is ground/ red is hot...If one light has reversed polarity your gonna get nada...Never hurts to check the obvious
Good luck

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:12 AM

use a multi meter on the wires to check what is actually happening, thats the only way I can ever see of resolving such problmes

check the relay is wired correctly
are you getting +12v from the battery. if the bikes running you should be getting around 14.4v
check the supply from the battery to the relay is +12v
check the relay is working, ie check +12v comes on the expected output pin when the relay is activated. (just because its clicking doesn't neccesarly mean its working electrically)

check the feed at the lights is +12v
check the earth between the lights and the chassis ground or better yet against the battery negative.

You can get multi meters for not a lot of money from virtually any tool outlet, they are almost invaluable in my books if you think you are going to be hunting for electrical gremlins

make certain your lights are wired in parallel not serial, ie the failure of one light doens't cause the other light to not get power
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter650 View Post
i hate to say it but double check everything... as in... do the lights illuminate hard wired to the battery? Try to skip the relay only and does everything work that way? is there a circuirt breaker on the circuit you are tapped into? it may trip with too much load on the circuit........... if it all checks out.. you may have a ground on the relay either not attached when it has to be or reversed with a power input... don't forget a relay will operate even if it's wired backwards, you'll have a ground where there should be power depending how the relay is built.... oh yeah.. you did check the (fused) power input to the relay, right?
Yeah that's the problem I went through everything several times but I know I'm missing something. The lights do work hard wired. I'm tapped into the high beam circuit and that's working. I'm not sure about ground. I grounded the relay and lights to what apears to be a ground site under the seat in at the very back of the compartment. I'm assuming that black and yellow wires are ground?? Cecked the fuse and it's good. The instructions on the lights say it doesn't matter which wire you attact to polarity is not a concern?? Going to break the meter out tonight. Thanks for the imput. The relay is clicking whne I work the swich but only when the key is off??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM

switch wire not connected properly?

It sounds like the wire you are tapped into is hot (12v) when you have the key on and probably becoming a ground (connection travelling backwards through the light bulb) when the key is off. IMO you need the switched input wire connected to that headlite circuit . The power input to the relay for feeding the lights should be hot all the time as in not connected to the headlite............it's fused and controlled by the switched input wire.....right?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 PM

I just looked and the headlite is on a relay in the schematic for the wiring... that'll throw a wrench into the works......download the service manual and look at the wiring diagram on page 502/503
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesurfer View Post
I'm assuming that black and yellow wires are ground?? Cecked the fuse and it's good.
Never assum, check the schematic.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode