Chain Life? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain Life?

All things being equal, what is the average life of the stock chain before it should be replaced?

Modificatious Neverenditis is a sickness I love to have
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Depends are how much WD40 you use on the chain. Ed will explain.

My sprockets and chain were replaced at 27,000km but I did change to a 44t rear sprocket at 15,000km to change gearing but this may of accelerated chain failure. I am hard on a throttle and this also add to faster wear/stretch than a more conservative rider.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 04-20-2014 at 09:17 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:48 PM
MTS

WD-40 Chain out lives bike! Eddie will explain!

I have heard alot of different miles? I really don't know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2018 at 07:42 PM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:54 PM

20,000 miles is not a bad guess.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I sold my bike with 22,000 miles on it the stock chain looked almost new and its still on the bike with the new owner..Just rode with him friday.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:32 PM

The more you clean and lube the longer it will last.

I cleaned and lubed the original chain far less than recommended and it lasted about 22,000.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Depends are how much WD40 you use on the chain. Ed will explain.

My sprockets and chain were replaced at 27,000km but I did change to a 44t rear sprocket at 15,000km to change gearing but this may of accelerated chain failure. I am hard on a throttle and this also add to faster wear/stretch than a more conservative rider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
WD-40 Chain out lives bike! Eddie will explain!

I have heard alot of different miles? I really don't know?
I use nothing but WD40 on my chains, and I spray them ANYTIME I've ridden 50 miles or more while riding from home, when I get home while the chain's still warm, or, on LONG trips as soon as I get to my camping site, plus usually once in the middle of the day (while I'm taking a break), MORE often if it's raining.

My '08 has 51,xxx miles on the ORIGINAL chain, tho' I replaced the front sprocket (and reversed the OEM rear sprocket) at 29,xxx miles. The chain on my '09 (which was a 'left-over' that sat in the dealer's yard for a year and a half...) wore out on my D2D trip last June, so I replaced it and the front sprocket (reversed the rear same time) at 39,030 kms (about 24,200 miles). I figure the reason it "died" early was a combination of sitting for the year and a half in rain/ dust, and the fact that I did NOT do my usual mid-day WD40 spray on the D2D ride for a combination of factors.-

Just had an e-mail from "watt-man" who figures the 51,xxx is the BEST he's seen!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 09:12 AM

My last chain with orings were replaced at 52.000 km, I use this automatic chain oiler http://www.willionssas.com/gal_wlube.html

To test how well the automatic lubricator can extend the life of the chain, I installed a chain without orings cost $ 17 and only be lubricated every 500 km with spray and in this way only reached 3700 km, now again I installed another equally and with the automatic lubricator and takes 7250 km and have not spent half of his life.

So the duration depends on the constant cleaning, lubrication and proper chain tension.

The gray-haired bikers do not get to that age of pure luck
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I blew out the O-Rings at 15,000 miles after a lot of high speed riding on a 7000 mile trip. I used the DuPont Teflon chain wax.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Grinding noise from chain

If my mechanic left my rear wheel alignment like this will it cause my chain to bind & make a horrid grinding noise?

I put this somewhere else - but i think it belongs here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2687.jpg (48.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2686.jpg (52.2 KB, 97 views)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 06:29 PM

Probably not but my guess he did it that way because he is sloppy or that is the way he found it. Marks are not that accurate. Why don't you readjust the chain? Ain't 'xactly rocket science.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 06:47 PM

I am looking for 20,000+ on the Versys. I had to replace the drive set on my KLR at close to 15,000 due to a big rock smashing the rear sprocket and chain, bent the sprocket and put a flat spot in the chain. The friend I was riding with had just got a new set in the mail and felt sorry for me and we installed it so I didn't have to push the bike back from WV!

Clean it and lube it and keep it in adjustment and they will last. ignore it and it'll fail when you least want it too.

BTW I ordered him a new set before I rode home.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 06:12 AM

Dear WalterMitty,

I could do that - need a paddock stand (not available here!) Need a air-conditioned garage/shed (don't have that either). Need a torque wrench (don't have one of those yet - but will by tonight)!

By the next weekend it will be done.

I think I need to get a new chain anyway + a Stotoiler will help.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Rave View Post
Dear WalterMitty,

I could do that - need a paddock stand (not available here!) Need a air-conditioned garage/shed (don't have that either). Need a torque wrench (don't have one of those yet - but will by tonight)!

By the next weekend it will be done.

I think I need to get a new chain anyway + a Stotoiler will help.
You don't really "need" any of those to adjust your chain. With the bike on the side stand remove the cotter pin and loosen the rear axle with factory tool kit. Back off the adjusters enough so that you can kick the tire/wheel forward to a little bit forward of the next mark. Tighten the axle a little and then pull the axle back slowly to align exactly with that mark alternating between sides.

Now adjust the chain. You want 25 - 35mm of slack when the bike is on sidestand halfway between sprockets. I use a piece of cardboard pressed against the swingarm. Mark the cardboard with the chain pressed up and then mark it when it is pressed down. The distance between marks is your chain slack. Use the chain adjuster bolts to tighten it. Go slow, one flat on each side at a time. A little loose is better than too tight. Once you get it where you want it tighten the rear axle as tight as you can get it with your tool kit then a little more to line up the cotterpin hole.

Scottoilers are nice especially if you use you bike for transportation in all kinds of weather.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
You don't really "need" any of those to adjust your chain.
I just put a new chain and sprocket set on the Versys this morning. I used these marks to ensure that the rear wheel is tracking straight and the sprockets line up. For example, I adjusted the chain side to 3.5ish mark to give proper slack. Then, I adjusted the brake side to match the drive side. As long as these marks are the same, I figured the wheel was straight. Are you saying that these marks are not accurate?

Dave the Raves wheel in the above pictures is not straight. The right is not the same as the left.

Last edited by jmarleau; 05-04-2014 at 03:02 PM.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If my mechanic left my rear wheel alignment like this will it cause my chain to bind & make a horrid grinding noise?

I put this somewhere else - but i think it belongs here!
Those marks are just a guide. UNTIL you check your rear wheel alignment, you will NOT know where the reference should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
...Are you saying that these marks are not accurate?...
See above.

Here's a thread:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=22046

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 AM

I just love you guys!

Thanks for the advice.

Just a quick moan! Why is it that the official Kawaski parts catalogue shows the castled nut holding the axle at the rear sprocket as an 18mm. It's way bigger than that & last night I took a punt & brought 24 & 25 sockets NEITHER OF WHICH FIT!!

To save me taking another punt - does anyone know the actual size? Apparently Kawasaki don't!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
I just love you guys!

Thanks for the advice.

Just a quick moan! Why is it that the official Kawaski parts catalogue shows the castled nut holding the axle at the rear sprocket as an 18mm. It's way bigger than that & last night I took a punt & brought 24 & 25 sockets NEITHER OF WHICH FIT!!

To save me taking another punt - does anyone know the actual size? Apparently Kawasaki don't!
Use the included wrench in the tool kit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I just love you guys!

Thanks for the advice.

18mm is the size of the shank not the head. It measures 1.055 which comes out to about 27mm or a 1 1/16" will work.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I just love you guys!

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
18mm is the size of the shank not the head. It measures 1.055 which comes out to about 27mm or a 1 1/16" will work.
As waltermitty said - they ALWAYS show bolts/ nuts by the shank size, NOT the size of the 'hex' (UNLESS you have an early Brit bike in Whitworth - which used the size of one 'FLAT' on the hex for sizing... - and here's a pic of a 3/16 W beside a tape!)... or TWO....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02995.jpg (94.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02996.jpg (76.7 KB, 48 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode