Coolant degradation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Coolant degradation

Hello all- Planning on flushing my coolant system soon. Just wondering- It seems that lately I've been getting more boil over. I'm used to a drop or two per trip, but it seems lately to be slightly more than that. As coolant degrades, would it's lessened abilities possibly cause it to evap more quickly? Makes sense to me that it would- just wondering what you all say. Also- I have a thermo-bob installed if it matters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Remove your radiator pressure cap to clean it. How old is your coolant?

Last edited by invader; 04-20-2014 at 07:49 PM.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 PM

You didnt mention how many miles you've ridden since your last change, so assuming it's time, definitely do the flush and change. Unless your coolant is very old or you put in a very low ratio of coolant:water, your coolant should not be boiling over. I assume your ratio is the nominal 50:50 (I run 40:60) and your boiling point should be at least 260*. Your system is a closed/pressurized system and evaporation should never be an issue.

If you're losing coolant, you're likely leaking it from one connection or another, or from your drain bolt. Check for signs of a leak. Most coolants will leave a crusty or powdery substance at the hose connection or under your drain bolt. Also check the rubber hose that connects to the bottom of your reservoir and runs to the top of the radiator, next to the fill cap.

For the boiling issue, check and verify that your fan is coming on. Let it idle and after about 5 minutes the cooling fan should kick on. If it is, your thermostat should be working correctly. If the fan doesnt come on, replace your thermostat.

I highly recommend Zerex G-05 Coolant 50:50 mix or 40:60, but not less than 40:60 coolant to water ratio. Be sure to use distilled water. The G-05 is at Napa for $14.99 per gallon. It looks and smells like Tequila.

Modificatious Neverenditis is a sickness I love to have
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Backroadie; 04-20-2014 at 07:26 PM.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Remove your radiator pressure cap to clean it. How old is your coolant?
Will do. To be honest I'm not sure. Which means up to 2 years. It's definitely time. Also- The drips were always from the overflow tube that hangs down at the bottom of the bike, so I'm not worried about a leak in the system.

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 12:37 AM

The original coolant in your 2011 is now 3.5 years old... Drain coolant, flush system and expansion tank with de-mineralized/distilled water. The boil over is commonly caused by grungy pressure cap. Dried coolant residue should be visible in the tank. There may also be some flaked black paint from initial overspray upon manufacture.

Last edited by invader; 04-21-2014 at 12:39 AM.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 AM

Garage
I did the flush & clean. I also changed the cap for good measures. I had read others who had issues show up due to cap, and its not expensive.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Hello all- Planning on flushing my coolant system soon. Just wondering- It seems that lately I've been getting more boil over. I'm used to a drop or two per trip, but it seems lately to be slightly more than that. As coolant degrades, would it's lessened abilities possibly cause it to evap more quickly? Makes sense to me that it would- just wondering what you all say. Also- I have a thermo-bob installed if it matters.
Couple of threads on this. The first two year my bike had a couple of drops after shut down. I was not alone. If its coming from over flow tube I talked to Kawi about that issue. Solution is to bring over flow tube straight up from tank another inch. Its just fluid creeping out of over flow holding tank tube. Do not put a clip on the tube LOL thats what I did first and it stopped the drip but Kawi said no no. Now drip is gone. No big deal.

If its leaking from somewhere else you have an issue.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 04-21-2014 at 06:46 AM.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 AM

Given the age, you definitely want to flush it. I was amazed how much black paint I found in my coolant when I drained mine to put the therm-o-bob on.

I really think your drips were from what MTS mentioned though. You shouldn't be getting boil over on the V.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Great advice guys. Will be doing the flush soon and replacing the cap if need be. Thanks!

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM

My 06 650R used to do the same thing but I traded it shortly after that problem started and never found a cure.

Just looked at my coolant the other day when I took the plastics off to install some wires, and it looks like it has white powdery scum all sunk at the bottom of the res tank. I never really looked at coolant in the res tank of anything else very carefully, and the bike only has ~150 miles so far. Is this normal? The bike has sat for about a year, being a 2013 leftover, if that means anything.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

Last edited by IanThomas; 04-21-2014 at 02:42 PM.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 02:48 PM

My '12 leftover had the same crap in the bottom of the coolant tank. I drained and flushed with distilled and then refilled with G-05.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 03:35 PM

I did the same flush and refill with G-05. I didnt notice any scum or residue in mine. The old coolant came out fairly clean too.

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The coolant in my 08 has never been changed although I have had to top it up twice (with pre mix) in the life of the bike. It seems clean enough so I am wondering if there is any point in changing it. Bike has 35,000 km.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:23 PM

You need to flush and refill. In fact I'd flush yours twice and then refill with a premium coolant. I flush and refill all my water-cooled bikes every 5,000 miles or 18 months, whichever comes first.

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The coolant in my 08 has never been changed although I have had to top it up twice (with pre mix) in the life of the bike. It seems clean enough so I am wondering if there is any point in changing it. Bike has 35,000 km.
Your original coolant is now 6.5 years old. Replacement is recommended after 3 years. Do it ASAP.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I replaced my coolant after I bought by 2011(12) V 2nd Hand with 18,400km on the clock.
I saw cloudy white stingy bits in the overflow tank and thought yuk!

I bought a Thermo-Bob st the same time I bought the bike - so killed 2 birds with one stone - Install the Thermo-Bob and flush and clean the coolant system.

After a good flush and coolant tank internal clean as there was a residue scum - I used Nulon Long Life Blue Coolant and Demineralized water 50/50.
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Coo...rated_Coolant/

-Safe for use in Japanese vehicles as it DOES NOT contain Silicate or Borate
-Safe for use in European vehicles as it DOES NOT contain Phosphate
-Type A Glycol Coolant for ultimate Anti Freeze/Anti Boil protection
-Contains unique OAT technology for ultimate corrosion protection
-Long service life of five (5) years or 350,000 km service life (whichever comes first) when used as directed

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Garage
I plan to drain and replace the coolent this weekend.

After poking around the bike and poking around the forum, I'm still not sure on the HOW TO for draining and flushing the system.

A little help from the shade tree mechanics out there? Thank you!

Always trust your cape.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
there is a drain bolt on RHS of engine.

flushing just means holding a garden hose to the radiator cap and letting the water flow through and out the engine carrying left over crap out
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:07 PM

Garage
Great. Thank you. Just a couple more questions:

1) Will the drain bolt on the engine also drain the contents of the overflow reservior? I assume that's all connected in line.

2) How much coolent will I be putting back in?

3) Do I add the new coolent through the radiator cap or through the overflow cap?

Always trust your cape.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Great. Thank you. Just a couple more questions:

1) Will the drain bolt on the engine also drain the contents of the overflow reservior? I assume that's all connected in line.

2) How much coolent will I be putting back in?

3) Do I add the new coolent through the radiator cap or through the overflow cap?

The instructions here will help. http://watt-man.com/uploads/IM_Versys_v1.pdf

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode