G-05 Coolant, sounds like great stuff - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
G-05 Coolant, sounds like great stuff

I've researched and read up on the G-05 Coolant made by Valvoline. Before you dismiss it, please read Valvoline's Spec Sheet at the url below

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerex_g05.pdf

A 40:60 coolant to water mix provides freeze protection down to -12 and boil over protection up to 260*. The 60% water, since water is what cools (not the coolant) will also keep my V running a bit cooler. Sounds all good to me! I'm taking the plunge and doing a flush/refill next weekend with the G-05. Runs $14.99 per gallon on Amazon. Auto Parts stores and Walmart also carry it. Be sure to use distilled water.

The green stuff in your radiator now is good enough, but I want the best in my V.

Modificatious Neverenditis is a sickness I love to have
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Backroadie; 04-18-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Zerex™ Asian Vehicle Coolant is also an excellent choice for our Asian motorcycle engine.

Like Zerez G-05™, it's premixed 50/50 with demineralized water.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerex_asian_vehicle.pdf

http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...antifreeze/105

Last edited by invader; 04-18-2014 at 11:44 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 AM

Don't buy pre-mix if you can help it. You are just paying big money for water and it is difficult to get a 50/50 mix with 50/50 because you don't get everything out when you drain the cooling system.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It says "lower silicate". Check it out, I think for aluminum motorcycle blocks antifreeze needs to be silicate-free. The one invader posted is silicate-free, I'd go with that one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Another old wives tale. What the factory service manual says, "Permanent type of antifreeze (soft water ethylene glycol plus corrosion and rust inhibitor chemicals for aluminum engines and radiators)"

When I got my '12 leftover home I noticed some "gunk" in the coolant tank so I drained and flushed and filled with the G-05.

Any of the antifreezes will probably work O.K. in the Versys but they are not compatible so you need to flush the system good before changing types.

I have several motorcycles that I've been using G-05 in, KLR with about 100,000 miles and '04 ZX-10R so it ain't gonna make your motor fall apart.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Valvoline approves G-05 for use in all engines, including aluminum. Silicates are a non-issue.

Modificatious Neverenditis is a sickness I love to have
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Good to know, thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Prestone Extended life coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. Been using it for many years for motorcycle cooling systems.

Silicates have a tendency to eat water pumps on motorcycles. Many of the water pump failures that we see are shortly after the owner has flushed the coolant.....

There are other coolant manufacturers that have phosphate, silicate, and borate free coolant. Be sure to read the container, then just pick one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode