Coolant Additives - Good, or Snake Oil? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Coolant Additives - Good, or Snake Oil?

Is anyone using a coolant additive like Red Line's Watter Wetter or Royal Purple's Purple Ice additive? Is it worth adding? Does it work? Both profucts state that they "lower the coolant's surface tension to metal and therefore prevent hot spots while better protecting the engine from rust, corrosion and scale." Any experience with these products or similar products?

Modificatious Neverenditis is a sickness I love to have
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Not sure if it's really worth it... As long as you replace it after 3 years, preferably with long life coolant that is free of silicates and borates.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=8232

Last edited by invader; 04-18-2014 at 11:23 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Never used additives...But this is what i used in my Versys and now my FJR.http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:56 PM

Instanely expensive, more than $50 gallon. G-05 coolant for Ford and Mercedes is some of the best coolant out there.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

I found Zerex ZXG05RU1 G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant - Gallon for $14.99 on Amazon, free shipping. If its that good, probably well worth changing over to it and getting rid of whatever came in it from the factory/dealer.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 PM

What I use. A gallon will last a long time. Pep Boys carries it 'round here.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I can't see a reason to add something like Water Wetter to the antifreeze in a street bike. We use it on the track mixed with distilled water because antifreeze is prohibited. I should think antifreeze has some anti-corrosion properties? As long as it's changed about every other year, and one is used that is suitable for aluminum engines (silicate-free) it's all good.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

I've heard that the Zerex G-05 is the only coolant Mercedes and BMW allow in their cars. It does have some silicates but evidently Merc, Chrysler and Ford are ok with it in their aluminum engines.

More info from another forum:

"G-05 is good stuff. I'm currently using it in my family's three vehicles--two BMW's and a GMC Sonoma. Car & Driver did a recent article on it.

I did a lot of research on antifreeze before deciding on G-05. It's readily available; it's approved for Mercedes, Chrysler and Ford; it doesn't have the problems of DexCool which forms a nasty mess if air enters the cooling system; and it's more compatible with other antifreeze formula than DexCool's Organic Acid Technology corrosion inhibitors. It may not be as good as the most recent European formulations such as G-48, but it's close. G-48 is what BMW uses as factory fill, but you can't buy it anywhere other than at the dealer (or at a Saab dealer). G-05 is better in corrosion tests than the other antifreezes, however. Check out Valvoline.com and click on through to the technical specs. There are PDF files on how their various antifreezes do on standard ASTM tests.

Be sure to flush out your system well before changing your system over."

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 PM

Drain the current fill. Refill with distilled water and take a short ride. Drain that and add 21 ounces of full strength anti-freeze. Top up with distilled water to fill system.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Great info, thanks

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Anti freeze is banned at tracks because it leaves a slippery surface on the track. Water Wetter and similar products are used in it's place. They do not prevent freezing which will crack your engine block. If you can notice a difference in the performance of coolant I would be really surprised.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Anti freeze is banned at tracks because it leaves a slippery surface on the track. Water Wetter and similar products are used in it's place. They do not prevent freezing which will crack your engine block. If you can notice a difference in the performance of coolant I would be really surprised.
Correct, thanks for elaborating. I didn't notice much difference in operating temp with antifreeze compared to distilled water + Water Wetter. Maybe a degree lower, nothing significant.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

The G-05 may not provide cooler engine temps but the added engine protection is worth it to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode