Nuvi 500. FM Traffic plug. Universal Mount. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nuvi 500. FM Traffic plug. Universal Mount.

What is the best way to hard wire my Nuvi 500 if I want to use the 12V plug with the FM traffic, which is a necessity around Baltimore. I have the plastic RAM mount. I ordered the Garmin universal powered mount. I have the 12V power cable with FM traffic.

Reply from Garmin:
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. If it was just a regular power cable, I would say that you strip the wiring in that and hardwire it to your battery, but with the FM receiver, that will completely disable your traffic services. In this case, you may need to add a 12V outlet to your motorcycle, as that will ensure the traffic signal comes through and transmits properly to your device. You can mount it however you like as long as you can keep that cable connected, but you will need that 12V outlet added in order to plug in that cable and get both power and traffic services.

Last edited by hdatontodo; 10-08-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 PM

hdatontodo,

I wired a 12 v aux pulg to the driving lights. When you turn the bike on the gps comes on & turns off when the key is off.

kinda hard to see but to the left of the gps is a small aux plug. the unit was not pluged in at the time of the pitcure.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler....php?photo=854

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=tundrabuddy;54633]...I wired a 12 v aux pulg to the driving lights. When you turn the bike on the gps comes on & turns off when the key is off...
QUOTE]

Thanks. I ordered some 12v outlets. Since the fuse panel is on its way, I ran 3 pairs of wires from the front to the battery area. I think I'll tie in a relay I have to the lights.

Tony

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 05:17 PM

Just bought a Nuvi 500 at REI for $242.00. Can't beat that deal. My next project is to figure out a way to mount it above the instrument panel while retaining the adjust ability of a madstad adjustable windshield mount. Anybody solved this yet?
http://www.rei.com/product/775807

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

With the Ram Mount Nuvi 500 mount installed on the SW Motech GPS mount for the Versys, the USB connector doesn't have enough room. I unmounted it and drilled new holes in the SW Motech mount. While I was in there (famous last words) I added some rubber strips between the RAM Mount and SW Motech parts due to the high vibration. I also added some rubber at the pivot point in the SW Motech mount where the lockwasher lives.

Once my 12V power adapter is replaced (since the mini-USB plug is bent), I'll see if I still have the electrical connection problems I experienced on my Saddlesore ride.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode