Gauge buzz fix - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gauge buzz fix

Not that we need another thread on this, but I figured why not.
So I started to get a little buzz from my gauge area, and noticed if I touch the gauge it goes away, so I found a great easy cheap quick fix.
A 5 gallon bucket lid had a rubber o ring inside, and I pulled it out cut a section and stuffed it in between the gauge and the surround with a wooden stick. Buzz is gone (for now).
Just thought I would share.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 AM

I have found that getting rid of all the noises from the Versys is like trying to herd cats. I get one nailed down and find two more. Latest is from the Headlight bezel.

BUT is does keep me off the street and out of the bars!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
While I was doing some maintenance (valves, air-cleaner, plugs, etc) over the last few days I noticed a non-existent bolt in the area of the front mount of the coolant overflow bottle where part of the structure supporting the instruments SHOULD attach to the frame, and from indications there never was one there (at least NOT on the GREEN HORNET!), so I rummaged thru my bolt-bin to find one and added it.

IF your V too is missing that bolt - MAYBE that's part of the "buzz'....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02983.jpg (76.7 KB, 118 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Matter of fact the dealer gave me an extra bolt when I bought the bike. He came out holding it. I was like "what is that?" He said "extra". I looked him straight in the eye and said "you have to be kidding me". He said "nope we had two guys look the bike over and they cant find where it is supposed to be." While trying to hook my new horn up I took the seat off, and noticed that there was a bolt missing to hold the tail on. Took me about 30 seconds to find it.
Long story short I wouldn't be surprised. I went over the whole bike checked everything, so I know its all tight (at least what I can see).

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I pulled it out cut a section and stuffed it in between the gauge and the surround with a wooden stick. Buzz is gone (for now).
Great info! I used model airplane fuel tubing to do the same..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 04:58 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
Not that we need another thread on this, but I figured why not.
So I started to get a little buzz from my gauge area, and noticed if I touch the gauge it goes away, so I found a great easy cheap quick fix.
A 5 gallon bucket lid had a rubber o ring inside, and I pulled it out cut a section and stuffed it in between the gauge and the surround with a wooden stick. Buzz is gone (for now).
+1 Also refered to as tubed. I also tubed my bike. It works great and takes away 90% of the rattle.

I used rubber vacum hose.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
On mY Mk2:

to fix the cluster buzz... I added thick weather sealing foam to the back of the cluster. the rubber grommets used to isolate vibration and mount the cluster to the dash do not hold the cluster firm and you cannot over tighten the screws or you will crack the cluster housing.

with the headlight bezel buzz... you have to pull the bezel off the headlight. my buzz came from the top of the city/park light where the bezel touches. there are some raised lines that the bezels rubs on them. you might see some white dust from the rubbing. I used some double sided tape 1.2 mm thick to stick the bezel down on the headlight and the buzzing stopped.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Fasteddie, in your picture, do I see your your airhorn sticking up real high on the LHS in the backround, and if so, how did you mount it over there. If you still have it apart, a picture would be appreciated. I installed a Stegal last week down on the original mount and also secured it with some bailing wire, but this was just to get it on and try it out. I'm either going to put it up under the LHS fairing or onthe empty bracket on the RHS like Weljo had his. thx

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
rayj - I'm PRETTY sure I posted a thread on the install, but here're two pics. I put paint protection film on the tank, foam on the horn (which I've now replaced w/ a WOLO Bad Boy as the Stebel "crapped-out"), and added a relay below it. I also put foam inside the left cover where it 'pushes' against the horn when it's installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stebel2 copy.jpg (65.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Stebel7 copy.jpg (88.9 KB, 47 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode