Rectifier fail - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rectifier fail

Hello everyone!

Recently my bike suffered a rectifier fail (40.000km), and I thought I would just buy a new one, because I checked the alternator and all phases are working fine. So I ordered another rectifier via E-bay, and after I installed it, I realized my headlights were not working. I saw here on the forum that rectifier fail sometimes causes starter solenoid or relay in the relay box to fail as well, so I ordered new starter solenoid and used relay box. But in order to drive while I wait, I made a little "modification" - I opened up the relay box, after consulting the repair manual, and I jumped over the pins that relay the 12v current for headlights. Now I can drive my bike (but lights are on as soon as I switch the key to "on" position - as expected)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg releji versys.jpg (72.1 KB, 92 views)

Versys 08 - black + Kappa 49l topcase + H&B crashbar + Xenon HID kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Garage
Nicely done.

Do you guys have "MacGyver" in Croatia?

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 AM
MTS

Head light is on with the turn of key to on correct? This is standard only option is high or low beam, correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
He still has control over his high or low beam... Only difference is that it's on as soon as ignition is on.

Last edited by invader; 04-17-2014 at 11:39 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
He still has control over his high or low beam... Only difference is that it's on as soon as igniion is on.

Under normal conditions .......
Ignition switch on only small running light in front comes on. After starting the motor running light and head light is on high or low depending on were the high low switch position was last left in? correct?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 04-17-2014 at 10:32 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_ri View Post
Hello everyone!

Recently my bike suffered a rectifier fail (40.000km), and I thought I would just buy a new one, because I checked the alternator and all phases are working fine. So I ordered another rectifier via E-bay, and after I installed it, I realized my headlights were not working. I saw here on the forum that rectifier fail sometimes causes starter solenoid or relay in the relay box to fail as well, so I ordered new starter solenoid and used relay box. But in order to drive while I wait, I made a little "modification" - I opened up the relay box, after consulting the repair manual, and I jumped over the pins that relay the 12v current for headlights. Now I can drive my bike (but lights are on as soon as I switch the key to "on" position - as expected)
Bookmarked for future reference!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 PM

Anyone have experience with the Compu-fire R/R? Or do most go with Ricks Motosport R/R or the OEM R/R?? Thinking that I may want to buy a back up in the states since OEM parts are about double priced in Mexico.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Under normal conditions .......
Ignition switch on only small running light in front comes on. After starting the motor running light and head light is on high or low depending on were the high low switch position was last left in? correct?
Yeah.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Anyone have experience with the Compu-fire R/R? Or do most go with Ricks Motosport R/R or the OEM R/R?? Thinking that I may want to buy a back up in the states since OEM parts are about double priced in Mexico.
A few of us have the Compufire series type R/R... All others are shunt type like OEM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 AM

You can get a new one directly from China for much less than Rick's Motorsport, and free shipping to Croatia They look interesting with larger cooling fins on thinner core.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Regulato...item4177345bc3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLTAGE-REGU...item4177345bc3

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/...U2NTBWZXJzeXM=

Last edited by invader; 04-18-2014 at 08:14 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

MacGyver is a real "hero"! Haha! Well, I had to manage my situation somehow, so jumping the relay seemed to be the right thing to do while waiting fot the new box to arrive.
Of course I still have the option to use low or high beam, the only thing different from the original bike is the fact that lights run from the moment I switch the key to "on" position, and they don't come off while I am starting the bike. With the battery working well, I does not seem to be a problem.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM
MTS

Very good and noted for future years if needed!

Thanks for sharing the info!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Hey people!

Just to notify you all, Mac Gyver changed the relay box! Haha!

I ordered a used one off the e-Bay, installed it today, and everything is back to stock specifications. I was worried about a starter solenoid, because it also may cause some problems, as I saw people here write, but it did not need to be changed, so I have a spare in case the original decides to blow.
Now my lights work again after I depress the starter switch, so everything is as it should be.
However, I won't throw the old relay box in garbage, as it can be used again if any "MacGyver" situation appears again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode