Turns out I've got an evap canister - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Turns out I've got an evap canister

So I figured out that I've got an evap canister on my 2012 versys that I just bought. Does anyone know if this system reduces my fuel capacity at all? If so how do I go about removing it. And also would it interfere with givi crash bars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I've got one on my 2011 too. It CAN be removed. Many threads in here on how to do it. Just search for it. Some say it reduces the fuel capacity but for some not enough to warrant removing it. MANY have with no problem. I've got the GIVI crash bars ant it is a bit tighter fit they don't interfere with each other. I think I took the cover off and maybe the canister loose during the intall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
IF you have the canister you're warned to not fill to the top of the opening.

Once it's PROPERLY removed, you can get about .4 US gallons more into the tank, which IF you're somewhere that gas stations aren't abundant, can give you an additional 20 miles or so of range.

I had a thread called something like "Hard to open gas cap" which details how to set the various tubes under the tank.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 04:16 PM

I have one too. Fill it till the gas touches the inner piece. Never had a prob. Love the fact that my garage never smells of gas - one of the benefits of leaving it in place.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 04:25 PM
MTS

+1 Also have one, no gas smell ever! Fill half way up inner piece! No problem!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:23 PM

Anyone know the symptoms of an evap canister that is not functioning properly?

I was sloppy one day filling my gas tank and made a little bit of a mess (not horrible, but a "Doh!" kind of moment). I'm convinced that since then I hear gas pressure being released more often through the gas cap and smell more gas fumes when sitting on the bike stopped at a traffic light. I'm not smelling fumes all the time, only when it vents (I think), which it seems to do more frequently, even when the outside temp isn't particularly warm.

Maybe when I was sloppy I got gas in some tube that connects to the canister which then got wet and now isn't properly doing it's job? I don't know, just running thoughts through my head.

Edit: I spoke to Kawi. The guy I spoke to said that if the canister gets wet, to take it off and dry it out for a day or so. He also said that if it were wet and clogged that the engine would run poorly. I'm not having any engine problems and if my canister did get wet, it's certainly dry by now and he thought it was not a problem and that it sounds like the gas tank is venting as it should.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash

Last edited by BaileyMan; 04-16-2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Updated information
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It always needs to vent expulsed gases somehow to prevent pressure buildup.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

I rode to work today....about 20 miles and 4000 feet in elevation change. And when I got home I could hear a hissing/buzzing from the fuel cap. When I opened the cap it shot open with considerable force......never had that happen on my other bikes. I've now got 50 miles on it so maybe I just need to get used to a new bike but it seems like the 4000 foot drop on my ride home made the tank build pressure faster than the evap canister will let it vent. Any ideas?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Also I'm wondering when you guys say to fill just to the bottom of the neck.....is that 5 gallons or do I not get the full 5 gallons claimed by Kawi?

Sorry it's a dumb question but I haven't even put fuel in it yet
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Bottom of the neck should give you 5 gallons. To the top of the neck gives about 5.4.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Bottom of the neck should give you 5 gallons. To the top of the neck gives about 5.4.
cool. thanks! i rode to work again today so we will see if the tank is super pressurized again. if it is i might consider taking off the canister to see if it changes.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrPopNFresh View Post
cool. thanks! i rode to work again today so we will see if the tank is super pressurized again. if it is i might consider taking off the canister to see if it changes.
I'm not so sure about the pressurizing situation.
Whether it's vented to atmosphere or canister the tank should not build pressure for any reason. Or I could be completely wrong....again
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

It did the same thing again when I got home today. It doesn't seem right to me but it runs fine.....so I'm going to give it a few days and see if anything comes up.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrPopNFresh View Post
I rode to work today....about 20 miles and 4000 feet in elevation change. And when I got home I could hear a hissing/buzzing from the fuel cap. When I opened the cap it shot open with considerable force......never had that happen on my other bikes. I've now got 50 miles on it so maybe I just need to get used to a new bike but it seems like the 4000 foot drop on my ride home made the tank build pressure faster than the evap canister will let it vent. Any ideas?
I have the can and ever since it was new, if it is parked in the sun the fuel filler cap will make a whining whistle type noise. Really bothered me at first because I could not find it. I finally found it and if you press down on the fuel cap, the noise will stop and continue when you release. I opened the cap to equalize and it stopped. I think this is common.

I have never heard this while riding, only when parked in the sun. Since I keep my bike garaged at home and under an awning at work, I rarely have this problem. Every fill up seems to let off some pressure when I open the cap so I think this is normal.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I have the can and ever since it was new, if it is parked in the sun the fuel filler cap will make a whining whistle type noise. Really bothered me at first because I could not find it. I finally found it and if you press down on the fuel cap, the noise will stop and continue when you release. I opened the cap to equalize and it stopped. I think this is common.

I have never heard this while riding, only when parked in the sun. Since I keep my bike garaged at home and under an awning at work, I rarely have this problem. Every fill up seems to let off some pressure when I open the cap so I think this is normal.
I don't have the canister and still get the hissing sound. Both from the Versys AND KLR. even in the garage. BUT I haven't been blown up yet!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It always needs to vent expulsed gases somehow to prevent pressure buildup.
It has too! All my boat tanks are the same way also!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
It has too! All my boat tanks are the same way also!
Both mine and my wifes car have pressure buildup every time I open the cap to fuel.

Interesting note with the late model Subaru's (My wife works at public works doing the accounting for the garage and the town owns several Subarus)..

If you don't completely tighten the cap, it will throw a "check engine" light that must be reset with a computer. There is a sensor that monitors the pressure and if the cap is not seated completely, the vapors leak out and throw the light. This is part of the emissions controls put in place by our government.

I think this vapor control thing is also why the new plastic gas cans have the crappy nozzles that don't allow any venting.

I find this steel gas can & attached funnel quite handy with the new regulations. http://amzn.com/B00004Y75M

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 04-18-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode