Clutch issues, please help. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clutch issues, please help.

I have a 2009 Versys with 7800 miles on it. I have been having issues with my clutch.

I know that the 'travel' of the clutch should be in the middle of the lever's range, and that if the travel moves in, where eventually you can't engage it, then it is hot. And that if it moves out, the clutch is getting worn out.

My travel starts right after you release the clutch at all, so if it gets hot at all, like after 30 minutes, then it won't engage. I have adjusted the tightness of the cable, and know it's as tight as it can get, I have no more threads on the adjuster screw left.

There is that knob that says, 1 2 3 4. But when I turn that, it loosens the clutch, making it even worse. So it seems like the bike is set up to be able to loosen it a lot over time, but there is no way to make it tighter.

Is this a problem others have? Do I have to somehow shorten the cable?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
IF I'm reading you right - your clutch engages near the end of the lever's travel (FAR from the bars), which is the way BOTH my Vs came from the factory.

If that's the case, when you pull your lever PAST the point the clutch dis-engages (to the handle-bars), you're trying to stretch your cable, leading to early cable breakage, and you are also close to the point where you can NOT dis-engage it at all when the lever is released.

What I did for my Vs (and several other Kawasaki bikes like KLRs belonging to friends...), is to adjust the ADJUSTER IN so that only 4 or 5 threads show - that way your dis-engage point happens shortly after you start releasing the lever, making clutch modulation MUCH easier, cable life MUCH longer (BOTH my Vs are on the original cable, the '08 w/ 51,000 miles, the '09 w/ 40,000 kms)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08687 copy.jpg (49.1 KB, 41 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Garage
Looks like you are only trying to adjust at the handlebar. There is another adjustment on the line. Its on right side near clutch itself.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

fasteddiecopeman: It's actually the opposite, the engage point is RIGHT at the handle bars. So when it warms up, the engage point is IN the handle bar, and the clutch won't engage. I know it's weird.

mikej: I did not know about that, I will look at that.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Also mike, how do you adjust tightness near the clutch?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:59 PM

In my experience the clutch "feel" does not change with the bike or clutch warming up from use. Maybe I am misunderstanding your description. does this help?

I'm no diplomat
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF I'm reading you right - your clutch engages near the end of the lever's travel (FAR from the bars), which is the way BOTH my Vs came from the factory.

If that's the case, when you pull your lever PAST the point the clutch dis-engages (to the handle-bars), you're trying to stretch your cable, leading to early cable breakage, and you are also close to the point where you can NOT dis-engage it at all when the lever is released.

What I did for my Vs (and several other Kawasaki bikes like KLRs belonging to friends...), is to adjust the ADJUSTER IN so that only 4 or 5 threads show - that way your dis-engage point happens shortly after you start releasing the lever, making clutch modulation MUCH easier, cable life MUCH longer (BOTH my Vs are on the original cable, the '08 w/ 51,000 miles, the '09 w/ 40,000 kms)!

I just went and looked at it again and I can see the cable is shredding and that there is only a few mm of cable left, so I'm sure that's the problem. I ordered another one, hopefully I can make it home from work

Thanks guys, any tips on replacing the cable. I am gonna watch some youtube videos.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiznoy View Post
I just went and looked at it again and I can see the cable is shredding and that there is only a few mm of cable left, so I'm sure that's the problem. I ordered another one, hopefully I can make it home from work

Thanks guys, any tips on replacing the cable. I am gonna watch some youtube videos.
Apparently Mr Kawasaki has a lot of cables in stock that he wants to sell us
Do search and you should find a better routing
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This will help with keep the new cable in shape..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ua...ZQFEhEkkFKiGNL

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 04:57 PM

Lubing your cable will help a lot. I have over 30,000 mile on my KLR and the stock cable, 12,000 on the Versys and factory cable. A few drops of 3M oil down the cable and then a bit of grease on the end where it goes into the lever and it'll last. I do so every time I change oil.

I have spares for both bike as I find cables break on Sunday afternoon and NO one has on in stock anyway and it's a two week back order. If you have a spare they NEVER break! Other things will BUT not the cable! Just out of spite.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 04-11-2014 at 05:01 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Lubing your cable will help a lot. I have over 30,000 mile on my KLR and the stock cable, 12,000 on the Versys and factory cable. A few drops of 3M oil down the cable and then a bit of grease on the end where it goes into the lever and it'll last. I do so every time I change oil.

I have spares for both bike as I find cables break on Sunday afternoon and NO one has on in stock anyway and it's a two week back order. If you have a spare they NEVER break! Other things will BUT not the cable! Just out of spite.
yep, I bought a spare clutch cable and a set of plugs from weljo for precisely that reason. I know I will never have to change plugs or cable as long as I own the bike
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, I will lube for sure now. Also, I had my big adjustment nut tightened against the clutch lever and not the smaller nut, is that wrong? Someone mentioned that in a video.

Yeah, no one had one in stock, ordered one from bike bandit.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiznoy View Post
Thanks for the responses, I will lube for sure now. Also, I had my big adjustment nut tightened against the clutch lever and not the smaller nut, is that wrong? Someone mentioned that in a video.

Yeah, no one had one in stock, ordered one from bike bandit.
I go so far on the KLR to tape the spare to the one on the bike when I go on long off road rides. I use duct tape to cover the ends up goot to keep dirt out.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode