Knobbiest options for 17" rims?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Knobbiest options for 17" rims??

I'm looking to do a couple long bad-road rides, including some with a lot of sand. So, I'm interested in a set of the off-roadie-iest tires out there.

For the front: it seems easy: TKC 80. Folks I know that run em on different bikes love em.

So, rears:

Trail Wing TW152

Karoo's

Karoo 3's

heidenau K60

That's my short list. Any first-hand experience with these? What am I overlooking?

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
K60 all the way. I have limited experience with it. And so far it's a very well mannered tire on most terrains. And from what I've seen on other bikes that have run it they perform very well with the TKC and Heidenau combo.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
K60 all the way. I have limited experience with it. And so far it's a very well mannered tire on most terrains. And from what I've seen on other bikes that have run it they perform very well with the TKC and Heidenau combo.
Why do Versys riders only use the 120/70 front TKC, but not the 150/70 TKC rear? I like the looks of what you are running, I'm just curious why you and just about every other forum member who runs knobbies avoids the TKC rear. I have no experience with any of these tires.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 AM

Curious to see what you end up with. Post up a follow up report after your ride.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 AM

Pirelli offers their MT-60 in the correct sizes for the Versys. It's a 60/40 tread pattern. If you want something a little more street oriented, Avon Distenzia offers the right sizes and a 80/20 tread pattern.

2003 Honda RC51
2006 Honda CRF450R
2008 Kawasaki KLX450R
2009 Kawasaki Versys

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Why do Versys riders only use the 120/70 front TKC, but not the 150/70 TKC rear? I like the looks of what you are running, I'm just curious why you and just about every other forum member who runs knobbies avoids the TKC rear. I have no experience with any of these tires.
From what I've seen the TKC's wear pretty quick on the rear of most bikes. So to avoid changing it out after 4-5K miles they opt for a tire with a little more longevity like the K60. As I stated I have only 300 miles on the combo so I can't give you too much information. BUT I have seen this combo for years here in AK.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Yeah - as AlaskaJeff states, the TKC rear is said to have a really short life when on pavement. I'll need to do decently long pavement runs to get to the fun stuff, so 20/80 or 30/70 seems to what I'm thinking of (not 80/20).

I've had Distancia's - not a fan (off the pavement). I'd rather run my current Shinko 705 rear than Avon.

I think the K60's are the ones. I like the continuous band of rubber around the center. Seems that that'll smooth out the straight highway bits, and add life.

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 AM

You might want to take a look at the Mitas E-07. No first hand experience here but I plan to try a rear once my Tourance wears out.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
You might want to take a look at the Mitas E-07. No first hand experience here but I plan to try a rear once my Tourance wears out.
Interesting, another option I'd never heard of. I'm looking for something proven, so report back in a few 1000 miles

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 02:26 PM

not 50/50, more like 80/20, i dont know if you want to consider this tire option

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispradez View Post
not 50/50, more like 80/20, i dont know if you want to consider this tire option
Shinko's?

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Shinko's?
Yes, size is listed on pic1. You need to raise the front fender (mine was raised 1.5")

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispradez View Post
Yes, size is listed on pic1. You need to raise the front fender (mine was raised 1.5")
That's what I'm running now. They aren't bad - did me well on this three day dirt road ride, but I want to try something one step more dirty...

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Is that front tire listed as a rear? 120-90-17
Also what method did you use to raise your front fender, and does it still cover the shock piston?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode