Has anyone tried a softer rear spring? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried a softer rear spring?

I weight 165 lbs (and no pillion passenger) and I'm considering going to a softer rear shock spring.

Has anyone here experimented with a softer rear shock spring, without changing the shock itself?

(I'm cheap, and I'm hesitant to invest in a whole new shock.)

If so, are springs paintable, so I can match the stock red one?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:34 PM

Not me, but I am fairly sure that ted tried at least a softer spring (and some aftermarket shocks) and someone tried a hyperpro rear spring on the stock shock (although, you wont like it, it's purple...). Do a search for their posts with "spring" and it'll come up

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Did you try dropping it down a notch or two, it seemed to work with me but I also had to get rid of the stock seat

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
Did you try dropping it down a notch or two, it seemed to work with me but I also had to get rid of the stock seat
I bought the bike in May 2008, and within a couple of weeks I took all the pre-load out, front and back. I put a Corbin seat on a couple of months after that. The Corbin is better shaped and more comfortable, except it's "hardness" adds to the jarring of the overly stiff rear spring on lumpy roads.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Why don't you try Speedy's lowering link.

It softens up the back by changing the angle of the shock as well as lowering the bike. I had to put one in because my dealer messed up and put a 160-70 on the rear instead of a 160-60.

It put me back and softened up the back at the same time.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloy View Post
Why don't you try Speedy's lowering link.

It softens up the back by changing the angle of the shock as well as lowering the bike...
Interesting... How much lower does it make the bike? (assuming no change in the rear tire size.)

I have long legs, so a lower bike might just make my pegs scrape sooner in the corners. But I will check it out on the threads.

Trialsguy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

I just check out Speedys link. I can see how it increases the leverage on the shock, but I don't want to lower my bike. Thanks for the thought, though.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:27 AM

if you're really cheap, you could experiment with grinding a deeper notch in the collar, or finding a lower profile collar off another shock, but that's a half-ass fix. check out that post on the R1 shock swap, you may get some ideas...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
if you're really cheap, you could experiment with grinding a deeper notch in the collar, or finding a lower profile collar off another shock, but that's a half-ass fix. check out that post on the R1 shock swap, you may get some ideas...
I'm thinking that would change the pre-load, but it would still have the same spring-rate. Hmmm. Interesting thought.

I've read the R1 posts and other shock posts on the forum. So far they seem to have resulted in expensive and/or inconclusive results.

I called a couple of suspension places - they suggested that "guessing" at a softer spring rate is not likely to produce a satisfactory result.
Since I am too far away to drop my V off at their place for them to tinker on, they suggested that I send them my spring, (along with the swingarm, pivot, shock mount dimensions, my weight, bike weight, photo of bike, and riding style) and they may be able to work up what I need for a spring.

Since we have at least 4 months of winter here in Wisconsin, I might pull off the spring and mail it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode