Uneven wear on Front Tire - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Uneven wear on Front Tire

I've been a proud owner of my Versys for about 15 months. I've replaced the rear tire with the Roadsmart and love it. This is a great tire and I highly recommend it. I'm going to replace the front in the near future. I've noticed that my stock front tire wore unevenly, harder wear on the left side of the tire. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas why this may have happened other than under inflation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:21 AM

I have had my Versys since March and just now installing a new set of tires (5,500 miles). My tire wear was OK, but in the new set I am using Dyna Beads for the balancing and removing the wheel balance weights altogether front and back. On my last bike (BMW R1100RT) I had this uneven wear on the front and the Dyna Beads solved the issue. You might want to check this out. The web site is something like "InnovativeProducts.com"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM

I would take a quick glance at the steering head bearing. Make sure they are torqued. Other than proper inflation, I guess you could have gotten a bad tire or a bad balance. I got a Dunlop a few years ago the just would not balance out. At the end of tire life, they all start looking pretty uneven.

Last edited by Chicken Little; 09-28-2009 at 12:34 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM

I replaced my stock dunnies at 7500 miles. The tires both front and rear were worn evenly. I kept them inflated to specs and rode it hard..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJDfb62 View Post
I've been a proud owner of my Versys for about 15 months. I've replaced the rear tire with the Roadsmart and love it. This is a great tire and I highly recommend it. I'm going to replace the front in the near future. I've noticed that my stock front tire wore unevenly, harder wear on the left side of the tire. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas why this may have happened other than under inflation?
The front tire will typically receive more wear on the left side due to the crown in the road (assuming you ride on the right side of the road).

Most all roads have a crown built into them, where the road is higher at the centerline, and lower near the shoulder. This is done so that when it rains, the water doesn't pool in the road, but drains to the edges. It's easy to see the crown if you get down at road level and look at the pavement.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
The front tire will typically receive more wear on the left side due to the crown in the road (assuming you ride on the right side of the road).

Most all roads have a crown built into them, where the road is higher at the centerline, and lower near the shoulder. This is done so that when it rains, the water doesn't pool in the road, but drains to the edges. It's easy to see the crown if you get down at road level and look at the pavement.
My front stock Dunlop wore unevenly left-right, but the wear on mine was worse on the right side, not the left. (Then again in New Mexico they may have an "inverse crown" technology - designed to keep as much water on the roadway as possible.) Actually, I thought that the difference in wear was due to the fact I may be more aggressive in right turns than left since I can keep away from the (all too often drunk) oncoming traffic when turning to the right. Actually my front tire wore out before the rear - I nursed it until that rear was down to the wear bars - most likely a foolish undertaking.

I recently replaced them with Roadsmarts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 03:07 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to skidmarks
Well my tyres wear more on the right because in Australia we drive on the left hand side of the road. Its to do with the gradient of the road or crown as mentioned in the previous post. We have round abouts as well that add noticeable wear on the tyres over time.
Its nothing to be concerned about.. it just general wear and tear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode