Tire Pressure - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Pressure

This is probably a dumb question but what dictates the tire pressure you should set your tires to? I only ask because I just got some new Pilot Road 4s put on last night and I asked them what they set the tire pressure to. They did 36psi in the front and 39 in the back. My 09 Versys manual calls for 32 in the front and 36 in the back. I think it says that on the swing arm too. I asked the dealership why they set the pressure that high and they didn't have an answer. I'm just looking to get the most life out of my tires and proper tire inflation is key is pretty important. Not sure if it helps but I'm a bigger guy, 250lbs and I have saddle bags on the bike. Maybe they over inflated to compensate? What are your PR4s set to? I appreciate the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
36/39 psi in PR4's is good for your weight and payload, especially for cruising at freeway speeds.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 AM

Here is a primer on tires from MSF
http://msf-usa.org/downloads/MIC_Tire_Guide_2012V1.pdf

36 to 38 PSI front and 39 to 42 PSI rear is my personal preference for my PR4's on '09. Heavier load = a tad more air in the rear since that is where I load the weight. I have side bags and a rear case. For more aggressive riding and an unloaded bike reduce the tire pressure. Road surface/conditions, riding style, temperature and load are all variables to be considered.

When in doubt use the recommended pressure published on the swingarm.

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 04-03-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Since I got my '08 in September of '08, on the mechanic's recommendation, I've run 36F and 42R on my two Vs, a KLR, and an SR500 Yamaha, w/ VG results. I got 14,126 miles from the last rear Tourance I changed, while my front has 18,xxx miles. Got at least 10,000 from the OEM Dunlops, and the Contis that followed (as well as several other brands).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Since I got my '08 in September of '08, on the mechanic's recommendation, I've run 36F and 42R on my two Vs, a KLR, and an SR500 Yamaha, w/ VG results. I got 14,126 miles from the last rear Tourance I changed, while my front has 18,xxx miles. Got at least 10,000 from the OEM Dunlops, and the Contis that followed (as well as several other brands).
You're getting your moneys worth out of those tires for sure. I browsed your link of your trip to AK. Camping aside, what was the best farkle you added to your V for that kind of a trip? Seat upgrade...highways pegs?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:34 PM
MTS

I like my tires a little on the soft side. For smooth ride and traction, but tires will wear faster and MPG could drop. Never go too low. I'm always messing with my tire pressure for that perfect balance.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Michelin web site says 33/36 for Versys with PR tires. Personally I would go with what the tire manufacturer's web site recommends for a specific tire model/motorcycle model combination. If that info is not available stick to 32/36. If you have extra weight on the bike like a rear passenger or are 230lb + , it would not hurt to pump up the rear to say 38. Any over inflated tire will grip less and provide a harsher ride. An under inflated tire will wear faster and may provide sloppy handling if it is down more than ~4 psi. I can feel a difference in as little as ~2 psi in how it affects handling.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-03-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 PM

I run 33/36 unless I really load it up then may go to 40 or so in the rear. I'm leary of too much as the bike get harsher and feel like it's skating around to me. Too low is never a good thing as I have seen a tire rolled off the rim from too little air, track day and cut tire.

Go with the tire manufacturer advice or bike manual to be safe.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Can anyone tell me or Invader will know, what is pressure you should run on versys on BT o23's on versys, would also be curious what I should be running on same tyres on my ninja 1000, front tyre same as v but the rear on the ninja is a 190 width tyre and I currently run 36f and 42r on ninja and 32f and 36r on Versys.

Any advice would be appreciated cheers
Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Can anyone tell me or Invader will know, what is pressure you should run on versys on BT o23's on versys, would also be curious what I should be running on same tyres on my ninja 1000, front tyre same as v but the rear on the ninja is a 190 width tyre and I currently run 36f and 42r on ninja and 32f and 36r on Versys.

You should run whatever is recommended by Kawasaki for either one, plus a number of psi's for your extra weight, and also for extra speed. Refer to tire manufacturer's recommendations to make an informed decision, and adjust for your needs and conditions.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You should run whatever is recommended by Kawasaki for either one, plus a number of psi's for your extra weight, and also for extra speed. Refer to tire manufacturer's recommendations to make an informed decision, and adjust for your needs and conditions.
The extra speed is a issue on the Ninja
Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart1375 View Post
You're getting your moneys worth out of those tires for sure. I browsed your link of your trip to AK. Camping aside, what was the best farkle you added to your V for that kind of a trip? Seat upgrade...highways pegs?
Nope. Stock seat (front raised 9/16"), stock pegs lowered w/ Speedy's stuff. (I won't use "highway"pegs because of the way they change your weight distribution, putting more of a load on your back.)

Hard question, but it would be a "toss-up" among my Majesty scooter windshield (several days of rain...), my Tourance Synergy heated jacket liner, and my Vista Cruise throttle 'lock'.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Old 04-04-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nope. Stock seat (front raised 9/16"), stock pegs lowered w/ Speedy's stuff. (I won't use "highway"pegs because of the way they change your weight distribution, putting more of a load on your back.)

Hard question, but it would be a "toss-up" among my Majesty scooter windshield (several days of rain...), my Tourance Synergy heated jacket liner, and my Vista Cruise throttle 'lock'.
I hate to get off topic and threadjack myself, but how did you raise the front of your seat by 9/16" of an inch? I haven't even taken the seat off yet to investigate options, so sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Remove the seat and see where it fits into that U shaped piece at the rear of your tank. Then remove the two bolts, get longer ones and some washers, make a "bridge piece" so the front seat piece is supported above and below. Check my pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00059 copy.jpg (37.5 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00060 copy.jpg (65.3 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00079 copy.jpg (72.3 KB, 300 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Old 04-10-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Remove the seat and see where it fits into that U shaped piece at the rear of your tank. Then remove the two bolts, get longer ones and some washers, make a "bridge piece" so the front seat piece is supported above and below. Check my pics.
Do you happen to have spare "bridge piece" laying around? I don't have any scrap metal, or a torch to cut the metal, or the skills to cut the metal. Hear what I'm saying?
Old 04-10-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post

See this post of mine here - Versys Tyre pressures, a Guide FWIW.

Richard

at
Old 04-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart1375 View Post
Do you happen to have spare "bridge piece" laying around? I don't have any scrap metal, or a torch to cut the metal, or the skills to cut the metal. Hear what I'm saying?
Just cut a piece of 3/4" wide 1/8" steel (maybe 4" long...?), then drill two 1/4" holes in at the appropriate spacing. IF you were near me I'd show you how while making you a set....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You can also use various thickness's of wood to substitute for the washer stack in the above photos, until your butt is happy with the result. Cheap and cheerful. I did that until I finally broke down and got a Seat Concepts.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Congrats on the PR4's. They look like fantastic tires. If they are anything like the PR3's you've got some great rubber under you.

I would give the manufacturer a shout if you can. I have Angel GT's on mine and Pirelli gives very specific PSI's for each tire and tell you to ignore manufacturer suggestions as that pertains to the tires the bike came from the factory with. They also stipulate that the tire must be cold when you check the pressure so you might want to take this into consideration. Michelin probably has some weird stipulation like this as well.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
They also stipulate that the tire must be cold when you check the pressure so you might want to take this into consideration. Michelin probably has some weird stipulation like this as well.
ALL tires should be pressure checked when cold. Tire pressure increases as the tire heats, as much as 5 psi or more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in