Fixing my "Boo-boo"... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Fixing my "Boo-boo"...

My Vs lean quite a bit on the side-stand (HIGHER from tires) so I thought I'd add a washer or two to 'shim' the 'stand to be more upright.

Looking at it I figured I could remove the 'stand by FIRST removing the switch's long U-shaped piece that goes onto the post on the 'stand allowing me to leave the switch alone while removing the side-stand. It SEEMS to be held by a Philips screw, which I started loosening....

After maybe a half turn it felt like the screw was jammed. I 'messed' w/ it some more, then removed the 6mm bolt holding the switch in and opened it to see what was keeping the screw from turning....

THAT screw goes into the switch internals, and I had now "buggared" it up!

I put everything back (as best I could...), then started the engine to check WHAT was now buggared.... It started OK, would NOT shut-off when I moved the 'stand down, or when I 'wiggled' the stand to see if it would quit in any other position - stayed running, but I added a 10mm socket, etc to the saddle-bag IN CASE I might need to remove the switch while waiting for the new one.

Went onto the computor and found a switch at BikeBandit for about $82 delivered, so I ordered it. It arrived yesterday and I did about an hour's work replacing it (the SW-Motech crash-bars need some rotation to clear the path to the bottom bolt on the front sprocket cover). Started it up (worked FINE), so I went for a ride....

DON'T try THAT at home IF your V leans a bit... 'specially if you DON'T want to spend nearly a C-note for a DUMB mistake!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02695 copy.jpg (75.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02796 copy.jpg (60.5 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02797 copy.jpg (59.8 KB, 105 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Glad you got it fixed.

The Kawasakis I have are the first bikes I've owned with a stand interlock.

I noticed a difference in opinion on the stand safety switch here with the Versys folks verses the KLR guys. Everyone wants it on the bike a working here and the KLR crew take it off and bypass the wiring ASAP. Guess the Versys people want the safely of the interlock and the KLR riders want greater reliability in the woods. BYW a lots of KLR rides bypass the clutch switch as well.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Glad you got it fixed.

I noticed a difference in opinion on the stand safety switch here with the Versys folks verses the KLR guys. Everyone wants it on the bike a working here and the KLR crew take it off and bypass the wiring ASAP. Guess the Versys people want the safely of the interlock and the KLR riders want greater reliability in the woods. BYW a lots of KLR rides bypass the clutch switch as well.
Klr people, usually, go on rougher terrain than V, USUALLY

You don't want you engine to dye on you because you stumble on something that would trigger the switch, hence te removal of said switch

My 2 cents

LOP

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My Vs lean quite a bit on the side-stand (HIGHER from tires) so I thought I'd add a washer or two to 'shim' the 'stand to be more upright.

Looking at it I figured I could remove the 'stand by FIRST removing the switch's long U-shaped piece that goes onto the post on the 'stand allowing me to leave the switch alone while removing the side-stand. It SEEMS to be held by a Philips screw, which I started loosening....

After maybe a half turn it felt like the screw was jammed. I 'messed' w/ it some more, then removed the 6mm bolt holding the switch in and opened it to see what was keeping the screw from turning....

THAT screw goes into the switch internals, and I had now "buggared" it up!

I put everything back (as best I could...), then started the engine to check WHAT was now buggared.... It started OK, would NOT shut-off when I moved the 'stand down, or when I 'wiggled' the stand to see if it would quit in any other position - stayed running, but I added a 10mm socket, etc to the saddle-bag IN CASE I might need to remove the switch while waiting for the new one.

Went onto the computor and found a switch at BikeBandit for about $82 delivered, so I ordered it. It arrived yesterday and I did about an hour's work replacing it (the SW-Motech crash-bars need some rotation to clear the path to the bottom bolt on the front sprocket cover). Started it up (worked FINE), so I went for a ride....

DON'T try THAT at home IF your V leans a bit... 'specially if you DON'T want to spend nearly a C-note for a DUMB mistake!
Eddie

What's that you're showing us in the first picture ?!?

You know what you should put there to kept that space nice, clean and well lube ?

LOP

PS Sorry for the breakage, but more so the 80 some bucks ...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres what i used to get rid of the lean when i needed to. Just kept it in the saddle bag..

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Glad you got it fixed.

I removed BOTH on my KLR as it has a habit of failing WAY-BACK-IN-THE-WOODS...! (And I believe the V switch is a better system.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Eddie

What's that you're showing us in the first picture ?!?

You know what you should put there to kept that space nice, clean and well lube ?

LOP

PS Sorry for the breakage, but more so the 80 some bucks ...
Yes, Phil, but my neighbor will NOT let me keep his cat there...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Heres what i used to get rid of the lean when i needed to. Just kept it in the saddle bag..
Good idea Joe, but I figured I'd do a more permanent fix due the HIGHER nature of my two Vs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:33 PM

Get a hockey puck. Trap and drill it into the bottom of your flat foot.
Done.

Hooligan
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 PM

My sidestand cut-out switch failed a few months ago. I had it checked at the shop when I was getting a tire on. The shop quoted list for the part, but I told them to hold off on it. I found that it was a shared part by many Kawi models. Got a used one for about $20 and installed it the other day. Works great.
Kawasaki Heavy Industries. They aren't going to make a new part if they already have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode