Well, there you have it - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, there you have it

Long story short, the stock D221 tires don't do the Versys justice.
Long version: With a little over 3000 miles on my 2012, and a two thousand mile ride coming up, I ordered a set of Conti Motions, to replace the stockers. I'll be honest; I'm not an aggressive rider. I am content, poking along behind the pack, looking at trees, and singing at a terrible pitch inside my helmet. I am not adept enough to tell you that a bike's suspension needs this or that, that the fueling is just a bit off, or that a tire feels a pound low on pressure. Hence, I check pressures, fasteners, chain tension, etc., at a near compulsive rate. I didn't think the 221ís were bad, at least not for the type of riding I do. Had the Conti's mounted between long working hours this week, and I installed them back on the bike late a couple nights ago. Got a chance to take the bike out for a short run this afternoon, and all I can say is "Wow." Came in and told my wife that I should have had the tires switched out before I took delivery of the bike off the showroom floor, a little over a year ago. It is hard to describe it, except to say that it is just, smoother, and less nervous. I had read many (not everyone mind you) opinions on the stockers being so lousy but, as I said, I doubted I would be able to tell a difference. It's there. Definitely.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:27 AM

Well done!!

You don't need to be a race man to feel the difference with the right tyres.
Now you will ride safer with more fun!!

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
ContiMotion's are also the least expensive tires available in Canada, and by a large margin... Fast Eddie likes them too, and makes them last for an incredible number of miles.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
ContiMotion's are also the least expensive tires available in Canada, and by a large margin... Fast Eddie likes them too, and makes them last for an incredible number of miles.
Well, at least I USED to - now both my Vs are running Metzler Tourance rubber, but I was VERY happy w/ ContiMotions for SEVERAL sets! And that included riding dirt quite a bit (check my ride report to the Mica Dam in BC a couple years back, on Contis).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-10-2014 at 01:36 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 01:20 PM

I had my tires swapped out when I took delivery on my bike based on the reviews. The dealer gave me a little credit for the stockers, but not much since the stockers aren't sold in our area except when they come new on bikes.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 PM

Have had experience with stock tires on many bikes, the one's that come with the versys are by far the worst in my experience, road the bike at the dealership and wasnt going to take the bike without a good set on it, I ended up with scorpions and love em, they do wear a bit fast so I will be researching for replacements in a year or so.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 PM

Have a PR 3 on the front, and hope to have a PR4 on the rear by Friday PM. PR4 should give about 20% better wear, with a slightly harder (less sticky) tread. Front tire still has 3.5K miles maybe.

Someday is not a day of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode