"Maxima Chain Wax" Chain Lube - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"Maxima Chain Wax" Chain Lube

I have been using "Maxima Chain Wax" (Brown Can) and don't feel very pleased. I just spent about 3 hours cleaning it off the tire, rim, swing arm and bike. This product isn't suppose to fling and the only time I apply it is after my rides. It built up about 1/8th" around the whole chain. I read it a past thread that some even use just plan old WD-40!? What are your views on the products that are avaliable? I've decided not to use this product anymore. Any suggestions? I don't want to add a automatic chain oiler so I would like to know what products others are using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:14 PM

I'm going against my better judgment and weighing in on a chain lube thread. These threads usually go the way of tire threads, oil threads, politics and religion.

I used chain wax on my dual sport bikes because I didn't care much about how much it gunked up the rear wheel and such. Somewhere along the line I switched to Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube, which I think flung less, but still a considerable amount.

I recently switched to DuPont Multi-Use Teflon based on comments here and on other forums. I was particularly impressed with the review the product received from WebBikeWorld. I've never gone wrong with a product recommended by WBW.

I've been using the DuPont lube for about a month and my rear wheel is quite clean.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 PM

I dont give a flying crap how dirty my wheel gets. I want my chain protected.

I use Bel-Ray Moly or Honda HP White Graphite with good results.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBreath View Post
I'm going against my better judgment and weighing in on a chain lube thread. These threads usually go the way of tire threads, oil threads, politics and religion.

I used chain wax on my dual sport bikes because I didn't care much about how much it gunked up the rear wheel and such. Somewhere along the line I switched to Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube, which I think flung less, but still a considerable amount.

I recently switched to DuPont Multi-Use Teflon based on comments here and on other forums. I was particularly impressed with the review the product received from WebBikeWorld. I've never gone wrong with a product recommended by WBW.

I've been using the DuPont lube for about a month and my rear wheel is quite clean.
Yep, the Dupont stuff works great! No fling, no mess.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 PM

I'm stoked! We are off to Alaska this weekend and if the motogods are smiling I'll be bringing a case of Dupont home with me.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I'm stoked! We are off to Alaska this weekend and if the motogods are smiling I'll be bringing a case of Dupont home with me.
Are ya 2 wheeling or 4 wheeling to Alaska ??? either way have a great time and enjoy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeff View Post
I have been using "Maxima Chain Wax" (Brown Can) and don't feel very pleased. I just spent about 3 hours cleaning it off the tire, rim, swing arm and bike. This product isn't suppose to fling and the only time I apply it is after my rides. It built up about 1/8th" around the whole chain. I read it a past thread that some even use just plan old WD-40!? What are your views on the products that are avaliable? I've decided not to use this product anymore. Any suggestions? I don't want to add a automatic chain oiler so I would like to know what products others are using?
Hey Jeff i was using the same chain wax with good results , not much for fling but a build up of gunk on the chain etc. I give it a good cleaning with wd-40 and then have give this product a try with decent results . http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_jigaloo.php

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman View Post
Hey Jeff i was using the same chain wax with good results , not much for fling but a build up of gunk on the chain etc. I give it a good cleaning with wd-40 and then have give this product a try with decent results . http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_jigaloo.php
Oxman, where did you find the jigaloo? So is it a dry lubricant? Does it apply like a dry graphite would? Sounds like it couild be great!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeff View Post
Oxman, where did you find the jigaloo? So is it a dry lubricant? Does it apply like a dry graphite would? Sounds like it couild be great!
I found it at my local building center but i have seen around at a few places. It goes on wet but dry in a sec ! ive been happy thus far and it also comes in a handy travel size , perfect for the tank bag on those trips.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll start using it!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I do love Maxima's synthetic "Chain Guard" (not their "Chain Wax") (as well as their synthetic air filter oil, and air filter cleaner) like I've been using for years now. Outstanding chain protection, low fling and very easy to clean... Amsoil's HD Metal Protector is also a wax that builds up and is hard to clean.

Regular Jig-A-Loo is a dry silicone-based lubricant, but they now have something even better for our chain, and a great substitute for Dupont's which is not sold in Canada: Jig-A-Loo Performa PTFE. There you go, Red Herring.
"The superior ultra-dry lubricant with polytetrafluoroethylene (ptfe) with superior adhesion, displaces moisture and instantly lubricates where wet lubricants cannot be used... can be used to reduce wear-and-tear between moving parts. It lubricates bicycles, locks and latches, hitching attachments, table saw, mechanical chains, cables and many more. Use it on metal and glass."

http://www.jigaloo.com/ca/e_products_performance.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHNGRDG.jpg (19.3 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Performa.jpg (17.2 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by invader; 09-11-2009 at 05:24 PM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
i hate the wax stuff. just too messy. I use the Dupont multi-use and its great. a guy I work with swears by it. They've come out with a thicker formula specifically for motorcycles called Teflon Chain Saver.
I got this response when I emailed Dupont about where to buy the chain saver stuff......

"At the moment, Chain-Saver is only available online. You can get it at www.netmercury.net, www.mcmastercarr.com or www.motionindustries.com.
Tucker Rocky, the second largest motorcycle accessories distributor is going to order their first PO with Chain-Saver next week. Most likely you have a local motorcycle shop that buys from Tucker Rocky. Give them a call and ask them to place an order for Chain-Saver (part # DCS611101). I believe that Tucker Rocky has the part# in their system at this time but just does not have any product in stock."

Last edited by andyhewitt3; 09-11-2009 at 03:52 AM.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 AM

I have been very happy with the Dupont Dry Teflon spray. It does a good job of cleaning the chain and the chain seems to stay cleaner, but a formula specifically for chains sounds even better!!! I just ordered a few cans.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 09-11-2009 at 07:40 AM.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 AM

I used the Maxima stuff, but it's so sticky it attracts dirt to the chain - the opposite of what I want. I switched to the Teflon Multi-Use spray and haven't looked back. You won't be dissapointed. I can find it at my local Lowe's store.....runs about $4 a can and a can last about 6-8 months.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 AM

Everytime I go to a Lowes looking for the Dupont Dry Teflon they are out and Home Depot doesn't appear to carry it any longer.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 AM

teflon is a neurotoxin if I remember correctly, so a mask might be in order..just sayin'
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the warning! I am not fond of inhaling neurotoxins!

Steve

Now I have four!

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Don't spray it in your face...

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Wish I had thought of that!

Steve

Now I have four!

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode