Grip glue question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Grip glue question

My throttle side heated grip came loose and tried to glue it back on yesterday with some renthal grip glue.....took the old glue off and sanded it lightly then cleaned it and put the glue and grip on and waited 24 hrs. Went out to check it and is like still wet? It got down to freezing but was in the 50's. The grip does go on with little resistance but there was a nice even layer of the new glue. I peeled the new stuff off but thought I would ask the forum....Suggestions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:05 PM

When I put the aftermarket heated grips on my '09 last year, the throttle side went on way easier than any grip I've ever put on, to the point it turned freely on the throttle tube. I took it off, wrapped a few layers of duct tape around the throttle tube, added a little grip glue and put it back on. So far it seems to be staying in place, even after running the heat on next to the highest setting. But I will be keeping a close eye on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Honda RC51
2006 Honda CRF450R
2008 Kawasaki KLX450R
2009 Kawasaki Versys

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:39 PM

I tried Renthal grip glue, once. I think it's useless but that's just me, seems to be nothing but contact cement to me. I went back to Pro-Taper super glue. Only problems with it are once you start to slide the grip on DON'T stop or it'll set right then and there and that's the end of that grip. Second make sure you cover the bike with plastic sheet to catch any that drools out as it will trash the paint.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

I thought about the duct tape since my grip also slides on with little resistance...might have to go pick up some Pro-Taper

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DA NXS View Post
I thought about the duct tape since my grip also slides on with little resistance...might have to go pick up some Pro-Taper

Used to use duct tape and wipe it down with a little gas then slip the grip on....Never had an issue..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:30 AM

Garage
Never used grip glue or anything else
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 AM

I used a few dabs of clear (small project) Liquid Nails. I didn't use much, just about three or four little dabs. The Liquid Nails is alot thicker than grip glue so it should bond better to a loose grip. My heated grips weren't what I would call "loose" but without adhesive they would slip on and off by hand. My heated grips have been on for about 6 months with no issues.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Cheap aerosol hair spray works well. It helps the grip to slide on when wet, then dries in an hour or so.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Maybe I will try some duct tape to tighten the fit up and us some hairspray and see how that works. If it holds great, if not I can go with a more potent glue

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 AM

If you use the hair spray, you probably don't need the duct tape. Unless the grip is just way loose now. If you need to use tape, Hockey tape (or friction tape) may work better.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

OK, I went with gorilla tape due to the heated grip and some hairspray and it is on there good and tight. One issue was as I wrestled the grip on I had one small drip of hairspray remove some of the K in the Kawasaki sticker. Fixed it with a silver paint pen. Other than that it worked great. Thanks for all the suggestions!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Used to use duct tape and wipe it down with a little gas then slip the grip on....Never had an issue..
I'm w/ Joe on using a bit of gasoline....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode