Adjusting Shock Preload with a Basin Wrench - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Adjusting Shock Preload with a Basin Wrench

Ok, you smarter guys may laugh but after fiddle-farting around with the Kawasaki tool kit thingy for adjusting the shock preload, my knuckles led me to the toolbox.

Turns out a basin wrench (mine cost $10, if I remember) works really nicely to adjust the collar with no slipping and minimal effort!

Hope this helps someone...or at least gives you a laugh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0051.JPG (110.4 KB, 643 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0053.JPG (291.0 KB, 555 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 03:50 PM

Does it fit underneath the seat though?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Under the seat?

You know, Allriding, that is a good question.

A guy can buy just the head of these wrenches and attach any length socket extension (3/8"?) as a handle.

So you probably could fit both items next to that pepperoni hot pocket under your seat!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:08 PM

I'll have to give it a try. The wrench in the tool kit is a killer!!. Thanks for the tip.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:39 PM

Tried the basin wrench today to no avail. Maybe my shock is tighter than usual but all the heel of the wrench was doing was bending one of the tabs in. Was I pivoting it on the wrong spot? Maybe.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:55 PM

Last Kawasaki???

Well I took my shock wrench to the dealer I bought the bike from. Told him my troubles and he promptly walked over to a Versys on the floor...tried it...(silently cussed)...pulled out the wrench from the bike he was trying it on...and they were exactly the same.

So here is what he did...He called Kawasaki...and talked to them for 45 minutes. The first person he talked to suggested a flat screw driver and a hammer...to which he said "let me talk to your manager."

This supervisor offered to send a new tool kit...but it was the same as the one that is "defective".

Basically...Kawasaki isn't going to do anything. This really torques me off. I don't expect the tools to be "Name Brand" stuff...but they should at least work once.

So here is what I am doing...because I am so even tempered and hard to piss off...

Kawasaki's phone number is 1-800-854-3800

Can we bombard them with phone calls about the spanner wrench not working...even if you have a working tool in your collection...just call them and give them a piece of your mind about tools not working.

Maybe if we call enough...they will get the idea.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Andew
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Maybe if we call enough...they will get the idea.

Hahahaha.... Don't think they care about our knuckles!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:23 PM

Andrew, you have a good dealer, but I'm surprised he hadn't seen one of those wrenches before, it's very common on Japanese bikes with cheap OE suspension that has a stepped collar. While it's not the greatest way to adjust the preload, it's not quite worthy of the NHSTA recall you seem to expect Kawasaki to make.

Your tool kit has an extension handle (looks like a flattened piece of pipe), use it to get more torque, make sure the wrench is well positioned and there is tension on it before you start applying force (so that it makes good contact with the collar) then apply said force smoothly. Once you figure out the technique, you'll see it doesn't require that much force and you'll get to keep the skin on your knuckle longer...

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 PM

Adjusting Rear Shock

You have to use the little breaker bar that comes with the tool kit and it works just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08871.jpg (381.8 KB, 274 views)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstandinghorse View Post
You have to use the little breaker bar that comes with the tool kit and it works just fine.
+1 And wear your gloves in case of a slip.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM

I've used mine once and had the same thought, I'm going to slip and take a finger off. Are these wrenches the same on different makes of bikes? Some of the other wrenches I've seen look better made>
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 AM

Cheater bar

I carry a 6" piece of 1/2" pipe, fit under the seat. I keep the preload at minimum so never do adjust.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 PM

Going from highway to gravel roads/river beds it is worth changing the settings. So I frequently use the poorly designed spanner wrench. I couldn't understand WHY kawasaki would give such a Poor fitting (Shape is a little off) spanner.
It is not a tool I like to use even with the the spanner handle added for leverage it could have been shaped better to fit.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 PM

I tried to reduce mine from a 5 to the lowest setting and found it impossible to move. I had to jack up the bike to get the load off the suspension first. Afterward I went back with a q-tip and daubbed a small bit of light grease onto the adjustment notches in hopes that it will help some later.

Can eat with either hand.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Me thinks we would have better luck getting Speedy to engineer a proper tool. (hint, hint)
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 AM

I had the same problem (the wrench slipping). My wrench was slipping because the center area of the span is too wide - and pushes the wrench off the tab on the shock. I used a grinder to grind off the wrench center area until it fits better on the pre-load tab. After that, no more slipping. I adjusted from the factory setting down to a 1. Moves a little hard, but no slipping.
kohburn likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstandinghorse View Post
Yeap done it that way for years and it works great for me. In fact I just increased the preload on my Versys yesterday and found it easier than most bikes to adjust. Of course the Kawasaki spanner is really bad comparied to the one Honda or Suzuki gave me. I usually use the Honda spanner wrench on all my bikes. If you can Ebay a tool kit for an CBR600F4i get one, its hands down better quality than the Kawi tools.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 04-05-2010 at 11:12 AM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
I usually use the Honda spanner wrench on all my bikes.
+1. i'm glad i didn't pitch out the one i had for adjusting the rear axle on my old HawkGT (single-sided swingarm). it fits perfectly.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Reviving

Sooo, The preload adjustment wrench that came with my tool kit had been modified by the apparently frustrated previous owner, the result is it is broken and does not work. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement I can stick in my tool kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode