Fuel Leak problem? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Leak problem?

Hi, I have an 09 that I bought used. Its a California model and the previous owner removed the emissions system. The problem is that it leaks fuel from a drain line whenever I fill the tank up and I'm not overfilling it. It will leak fuel even as I'm riding until it gets to a lower level.
Before I take the tank off, any ideas on which line goes where? Photos would be nice, I don't have a service manual.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2846

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Weljo, thanks for the links. Hope someone comes along soon with more info on this, I did a search and didn't find too much.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM

Gerry O,

Please, I know it will be painful, but stop riding that bike until that leak is fixed. Too many people throw lit cigarettes out on the road. I would hate to see you hurt.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 01:17 PM

I have an idea of what is going on. I am looking at the '10 up manual so bare with me. There are two metal tubes that go through the tank and connect to two nipples at the bottom of the tank and are vents near in top of the fuel cap inside the tank. Under normal circumstances fuel will not come out of these unless the bike is overfilled or tipped over because the fuel level is below the top of the tube. Only vapors should come out. If either of these tubes is cracked fuel will slowly leake out through the tube. I had a ZX-6R that had the problem.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

I just took the sidecover off and can see at the rear of the tank there are 3 metal tubes sticking out of the tank. The first one (to the front of the bike)has a clear vent tube, the middle has a rubber vent tube that attaches to the side stand (this is the one that leaks), but the 3rd vent tube has nothing attached! Is this the one that previously went to the evap canister and should it be capped to stop the leak?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15897

Post #2 from invader tells how to set up the three lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08160 copy.jpg (41.9 KB, 85 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Fasteddie, thanks for the photo and the link, now it all makes sense. I just followed the steps and will go and fill up and hope for good results. Everyone else thanks for your input.

King V, thanks for your concern
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So it actually works? I don't have a Cali smogged version to relate to.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Yes it does, I just got back after filling up and lo & behold....no leaks!

Thanks everyone for your help.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Gerry O - you are in the process of learning what a GREAT resource this forum has in "invader"...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
So basically you had the breather lines mixed up and the expansion in the tank was pumping fuel out?

Glad it was not a cracked internal breather line.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Gerry O - you are in the process of learning what a GREAT resource this forum has in "invader"...!

I quit. You guys are on your own now. I can just as well manage without this forum.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I quit. You guys are on your own now. I can just as well manage without this forum.
Yes but can the forum manage without you

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yes but can the forum manage without you
AIN'T THAT the truth...!

...and weljo TOO!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
AIN'T THAT the truth...!

...and weljo TOO!

Nah I just buy stuff..Guys like you and invader can fix things and help others to do the same.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Gerry O,

Please, I know it will be painful, but stop riding that bike until that leak is fixed. Too many people throw lit cigarettes out on the road. I would hate to see you hurt.
All I could think of is Newman driving that mail truck dragging that Singer sewing machine...LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode