Engine cuts out - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
vp7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Engine cuts out

Well I just did about 400 km today and towards the end of my trip the bike suddenly started cutting out and eventually died. Once I slowly pulled of to the side of the road. I tried restarting and it died again. I checked fluids and tried again and this time it started no problem. I kept on going for another 60km or so and everything was find until I tried to go on the highway and accelerate above 110 km with fast acceleration. Again I had to slow down and engine died. Process repeated, this time I took it easy until just about home when it all happened again.

The bike is a 2009 with about 6600 km on it. Anybody have any ideas? I need to get this fixed prior to the 18th when I plan a longer road trip.

Thanks

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
vp7

One more thing, I dropped the V a few hours earlier, I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

Vlast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 AM

give it to the service area for a chek up. the bike has a wehicle down sensor, that cuts out the engine if the bike is dropped to the ground. maybe it was damaged somehow so it can cause you troubles.

Versys 08 - black + Kappa 49l topcase + H&B crashbar + Xenon HID kit

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 AM

The bike has a tip-over/vehicle down sensor, but if it had gotten stuck in the down position (which can happen), you wouldn't have been able to start it at all. Also, if the switch is activated, the FI light should be on. I am not sure how it would cause an intermittent problem, so I wouldn't spend too much time on it yet.

When you say you check fluids, you mean you opened the gas tank filler cap? Did you hear a rush of air when you did that? The symptoms you are experiencing are typical of a pinched/blocked gas tank vent line. When fuel is consumed, air can not get in to fill the void, creating a vacuum in the tank and making it difficult to pump the gas out. Trace the vent line, make sure it's not blocked or pinched. Is it possible that there is water in the fuel?

If it's not that, you have to start looking at what could have been damaged or gotten loose in the drop. There is a long list of components and sensors that need to be checked. No point in copying the whole manual in here, just look at the FI trouble shooting guide in Chapter 3.

Gustavo

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 AM

If there was a blow to the tank, it may have damaged the fuel pump or pickup. Low pressure or sucking air may be the result.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM

I'll bet Gustavo on the right track. A tip over would place fuel in the overflow/vent tube blocking proper tank breathing until gas is cleared from tube.
Let us know what you find so we won't be blind sided if it happens to us.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
vp7

So today I tried to start the V and it won't even run, it starts but then just sputters dead. I have an appointment at the shop on Friday but will see if I can check the filters tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Vlast

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
vp7

Well the bike went to the shop and there has been some delays with the diagnostics. The shop couldn't get the computer to tell them what is wrong and now that they put it back together it seems to be working again. I'm hoping it will be good enough for a long trip on the weekend, I am just nervous, I will try a longer trip tomorrow. So far it looks like there may just have been some loose connection and I am hopping that's all it is.

Vlast

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:57 PM

Hope all goes well on your trip and hopefully it was just a loose connection! Sure would be curious which connection.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
vp7

The trip went well and the bike ran without a hitch, and I did not spare it at all. From the last thing the shop told me it may have been one of the little hoses on the bottom that may have been plugged. I think that is one of the troubleshooting things mentioned in the service manual.

So no mechanical problems they could figure out and it seems to be OK now. At the same time I changed the oil to synthetic and I will need to learn to change it myself because I really don't want to pay a $100 everytime I change the oil.

Vlast

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp7 View Post
The trip went well and the bike ran without a hitch, and I did not spare it at all. From the last thing the shop told me it may have been one of the little hoses on the bottom that may have been plugged. I think that is one of the troubleshooting things mentioned in the service manual.

So no mechanical problems they could figure out and it seems to be OK now. At the same time I changed the oil to synthetic and I will need to learn to change it myself because I really don't want to pay a $100 everytime I change the oil.
Glad things worked out. As far as changing oil, there's a really good thread on here somewhere with good pictures on how to do it. Once you do it the first time, you'll wonder why you didn't do it yourself all along.

In fact, lemme see if I can find it...

Yep, here it is:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=836

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
vp7

Thanks Bear, I have seen it previously, but before I change oil again this year I may have to just winterize the bike, not sure how many more days/weeks of riding I have left here. It did get pretty cold last weekend at night.

Vlast

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode