Rear tire in front. 120/90 or 130/80 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear tire in front. 120/90 or 130/80

I understand that some people are running 130/80 size dual sport rear tires in front. I'm entertaining doing the same thing with a set of Shinko 705s. I noticed though that the 705 comes in a 120/90. While this tire has a higher profile, it's actually not as tall as the 130/80 and matches the stock tire in width. Only snag is that it's a tube tire where the 130/80 is tubeless. Is this an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
You can ALWAYS run tubes in tubeless as well as tube-type tires, but just remember that a nail will "slow you down" INSTANTLY, in a tube...!
Ed
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 PM

A 130/80-17 is NOT taller than a 120/90-17. See below. Both are considerably taller than the stock tire. Has anyone tried either of these on a Versys? Any opinions welcome.

The 17" front leaves very little option for a dual-sport front tire. Only the Distanzia. My current experience with the Distanzia is that the front is wearing very strangely and seems to be gone before the rear 150-70x17. Of course, the front is a softer "supermoto" compound.

Thanks -- Hank.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
120/70-17 3.3in 11.8in 23.6in 74.2in 854 0.0%
130/80-17 4.1in 12.6in 25.2in 79.1in 801 6.7%
120/90-17 4.3in 12.8in 25.5in 80.1in 791 8.0%

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Stinkos....

I "read" things about people using the 705's... but cant find here, or anywhere else where anyone has actually installed them on the Versys and taken photos and given a report on how, or if they worked out.

Lots of debate on the quality of the 705's on some other boards..Only thing I can say is that I have had them on my Wee for 7K miles now.. thru sand, mud, gravel, pavement wet and dry, over mountains, across rivers.. well ok.. more like streams... thru valleys of fire (Utah in July).. and they are FANTASTIC tires. IMO the best tires I ever had in over 50K miles on 3 different Wee's.. yes, I feel that strongly about it

Sure would like to know if they "work" on the Versys.. I guess I may have to just bite the bullet and try it for myself. If I do, i will for certain take photos and provide a report on how or if they worked out.....

If anyone reading this has in fact already done it... PLEASE post some pics and a report.. or provide a link to where you already did

thanks
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 AM

How does using the larger tire (designed for rear fitment) on front (say 130/80 or 120/90) affect handling on the versys? Is there any modification to fender or anything else to fit this alternative size? I am little gun-shy, but will try it with some encouragement . Thanks -- Hank.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
I "read" things about people using the 705's... but cant find here, or anywhere else where anyone has actually installed them on the Versys and taken photos and given a report on how, or if they worked out.

Lots of debate on the quality of the 705's on some other boards..Only thing I can say is that I have had them on my Wee for 7K miles now.. thru sand, mud, gravel, pavement wet and dry, over mountains, across rivers.. well ok.. more like streams... thru valleys of fire (Utah in July).. and they are FANTASTIC tires. IMO the best tires I ever had in over 50K miles on 3 different Wee's.. yes, I feel that strongly about it

Sure would like to know if they "work" on the Versys.. I guess I may have to just bite the bullet and try it for myself. If I do, i will for certain take photos and provide a report on how or if they worked out.....

If anyone reading this has in fact already done it... PLEASE post some pics and a report.. or provide a link to where you already did

thanks
Ok.. answered my own questions:

Shinko's on and pics up

see here http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=3955

scroll down to #11
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 AM

What about use the Michelin Anakee2, 130/80/17, in front wheel?

--
Gustavo Erivan
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

IF you put a 130/80 on your front, be prepared for MUCH heavier steering till you get used to it.

When I put my Tourance on, it felt like it would NOT turn at all!

About 100 miles later and I didn't even notice it any more, BUT I'm not sure I'd let someone else ride it.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
LOL!
Are you aware of the amazing countersteer concept, Eddie? It's how motorcycles are actually steered and how direction is controlled, although many are unaware of it... Just try to turn the handlebars to the opposite of your desired direction and see what happens. Knowing makes a big difference.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 AM

Eddie, JDRocks and Invader,

--
Gustavo Erivan
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
I understand that some people are running 130/80 size dual sport rear tires in front. I'm entertaining doing the same thing with a set of Shinko 705s. I noticed though that the 705 comes in a 120/90. While this tire has a higher profile, it's actually not as tall as the 130/80 and matches the stock tire in width. Only snag is that it's a tube tire where the 130/80 is tubeless. Is this an issue?
Tires designed for the front normally use a softer rubber compound for better grip. They can do this because the front has less weight on it. Using a rear tire you will have less grip. Also because the weight and tire profile will be different so will the feel through the handle bars.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
don't they have an exercise room in that old folks home down there in arizona?
30 minutes a day on those machines and ya could eventually steer that bike.
Well Sonny - lemme tell ya...
Oh, I think I forgot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
LOL!
Are you aware of the amazing countersteer concept, Eddie? It's how motorcycles are actually steered and how direction is controlled, although many are unaware of it... Just try to turn the handlebars to the opposite of your desired direction and see what happens. Knowing makes a big difference.
Well, I've been trying to go to see Phil in NZ, and I've been pushing DOWN. Now you say I have to push UP to go down...?

My head's startin' to hurt!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Tires designed for the front normally use a softer rubber compound for better grip.
I think that is the reason why people achieve a great mileage with this tires in front wheel.

--
Gustavo Erivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode