Another Versys mirror failure! ARRGGGHHH! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another Versys mirror failure! ARRGGGHHH!

You guys have probably already heard all the mirror horror stories but I just had to vent a little. I have had problems keeping my mirrors where they belong since day one. After reading the thread on the internal lock nut and spring washers, I thought I would be able to cure my problem once and for all. Today I decided to take the bull by the horns. My right hand mirror became the test subject and I managed to get access to the lock nut no problem. As I attempted to remove the nut, the threaded shank on the mirror snapped off in my hand.
Keep in mind, I had never touched this nut before today so apparently the stupid thing had been overtorqued from the dealer in an attempt to prevent the mirror migration issue from ever raising it's ugly head. After a few choice words about Kawasaki and it's over-complicating engineers I went to Cycle Gear and bought a pair of Taiwanese replacement mirrors for twenty bucks. Already I would have to say the new pair is head and shoulders above the factory originals. They seem solid and while I don't have more than a couple miles on the new set up, I think they are going to work out well. The only downside I can see so far is that the new ones are ground flat and the stock ones had a slight convex shape so you got a wider view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m_DSCN1009.JPG (27.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg m_DSCN1010.JPG (43.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg m_DSCN1012.JPG (43.2 KB, 183 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:52 PM

You'll get used to the flat ones. More accurate view.( in other words, the vibration will look clearer )
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:01 PM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4973

More choices for your replacement mirrors.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

blipco,
speaking of vibes, I replaced my stock rear sprocket with a 43 tooth Renthal a couple days ago and much of my highway speed vibrations went away. My sight picture in the mirrors is much clearer. Weird, huh?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Hey stlee29, thanks for the added info on the mirrors. I have seen lots of people opt for the Z1000 mirrors, didn't know if they would be any better than stock. They look like the same design in the pics. Is that not the case?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmann1 View Post
blipco,
speaking of vibes, I replaced my stock rear sprocket with a 43 tooth Renthal a couple days ago and much of my highway speed vibrations went away. My sight picture in the mirrors is much clearer. Weird, huh?
Jung, did you have to replace the chain? What about performance? Acceleration off the line, rpms at 75 mph, fuel consumption, etc. ?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Jung, did you have to replace the chain? What about performance? Acceleration off the line, rpms at 75 mph, fuel consumption, etc. ?
blipco,

You might want to reference this thread...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4462

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Hey Blip,
I've only got about 1300 miles on the bike, so no, I didn't change the chain. The sprocket is designed for the same pitch chain so it works fine with the stocker; you just have to move the wheel back with the chain adjusters about 3/8 inch to make up for the smaller diameter sprocket. The chain slack at the midpoint between the sprockets is supposed to be between 1 and 1.4 inches with the bike on the kickstand.
As far as the changes in rpm at a given speed, I didn't experience any huge difference. The way I understand it, changing the rear sprocket to a 43 tooth actually goes a long way in correcting the error in the speedometer. So, I am still seeing about 5000 rpm at 70 mph but I am actually going 70 now instead of 65 or whatever I was actually going before the change in gearing. You follow that? It is a little hard to get your head around but I think that is what is going on. And I haven't had it on long enough to tell any difference on fuel consumption. It definitely has longer legs now in first(don't have to shift half way across an intersection) so I imagine you would see a corresponding reduction in your time off the line if you are into drag racing, which I am really not. Hope that helps! J.

Last edited by Jungmann1; 09-08-2009 at 04:39 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:56 PM

I just tossed the mirrors. Too much trouble and a bad design. I'm using a set of Honda OEM XL/XR dirt bike mirrors now, same as on my KLR, and I like them.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmann1 View Post
Hey Blip,
I've only got about 1300 miles on the bike, so no, I didn't change the chain. The sprocket is designed for the same pitch chain so it works fine with the stocker; you just have to move the wheel back with the chain adjusters about 3/8 inch to make up for the smaller diameter sprocket. The chain slack at the midpoint between the sprockets is supposed to be between 1 and 1.4 inches with the bike on the kickstand.
As far as the changes in rpm at a given speed, I didn't experience any huge difference. The way I understand it, changing the rear sprocket to a 43 tooth actually goes a long way in correcting the error in the speedometer. So, I am still seeing about 5000 rpm at 70 mph but I am actually going 70 now instead of 65 or whatever I was actually going before the change in gearing. You follow that? It is a little hard to get your head around but I think that is what is going on. And I haven't had it on long enough to tell any difference on fuel consumption. It definitely has longer legs now in first(don't have to shift half way across an intersection) so I imagine you would see a corresponding reduction in your time off the line if you are into drag racing, which I am really not. Hope that helps! J.
Thanks Jung, I only have 500 miles on mine,(just bought it) I'm going with a 16T front.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 PM

replace the mirrors.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 AM

Hi Jungmann1,

The stock mirror's square and the Z1000 mirror are triangle at the tips.
It does give that extra field of vision out to the sides compared to stock.

What reduced the vibs for my mirrors was had placed a hard flex plastic washer between the mirror and it's bolt base.
Also a spring washer to lock it tight with loctite.

I think to totally be done with this vibs is to get a new aftermarket handlebar like Tag Metals. Search for Invader handlebar mod. Excellent advice.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:27 PM

I posted this to an older thread on mirrors.. newbie at all this so i cut and pasted here where i wanted to post it...

I read in another thread that the BMW f800gs mirrors may fit as well, my friend has that bike and those mirrors are very nice. Just lookoing at them next to eachother they look like they will fit, i plan on trying it just to see. However they are probably a much more expensive option than the Z1000 with extenders.. I think i am going to replace mine with the Z1000, everyone seems to like them so far. I have to do something because the OEM mirrors are absolutely horrible, I can't see behind me and they move all over the place.. big saftey issue to me.. really is my only complaint about the bike so far.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvherc View Post
I posted this to an older thread on mirrors.. newbie at all this so i cut and pasted here where i wanted to post it...

I read in another thread that the BMW f800gs mirrors may fit as well, my friend has that bike and those mirrors are very nice. Just lookoing at them next to eachother they look like they will fit, i plan on trying it just to see. However they are probably a much more expensive option than the Z1000 with extenders.. I think i am going to replace mine with the Z1000, everyone seems to like them so far. I have to do something because the OEM mirrors are absolutely horrible, I can't see behind me and they move all over the place.. big saftey issue to me.. really is my only complaint about the bike so far.
I think that everyone else on this forum has chimed in on this topic before me. It took me a little while to get the stock mirrors to stay put (I ended up using Locktite on the nuts that attached the mirror to the handlebars - I did not have to worry about the nuts under the mirrors themselves). Since then, I have not looked back... Oh wait - I look back just fine!

To me the stock mirrors work just as well as the rest of the machine.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the input.. i certainly am going to try the loctite and adding extenders to see if that helps the rear visibilty..
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

The extenders are a great idea and make all the difference in your rearward view. I had replaced my stock mirrors with some generic ones of similar design from cycle gear. They stayed put great but were much more sensitive to vibration and were just about useless as far as your site picture to the rear. I had noticed when I installed them that they were much lighter weight then the stockers and I think that is their downfall. The Kawi ones had hefty blocks of steel bonded to the inside of the mirror housings which must of have done a lot to dampen the vibes. Still looking for the perfect solution. J.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:00 PM

I too, was becoming frustrated with the stock mirrors. Not so much the vibration blur, but not being able to see vehicles close behind me. Found the answer today, while searching for Aprillia mirrors at the dealer. Walked past a new Triumph Speed Triple, and it had what I wanted! Bought them on the spot, $72 each. Worth every penny, and then some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc 09 047.JPG (822.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg misc 09 048.JPG (821.6 KB, 115 views)
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:41 PM

Tex,looks great. I'm thinking about getting that wind shield for my Green V. How do you like it at highway speeds compared to stock ?
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Tex,looks great. I'm thinking about getting that wind shield for my Green V. How do you like it at highway speeds compared to stock ?
It really takes the wind off your chest and torso. I love that it doesn't push the bike around either, like larger screens can. I'd say go for it!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 PM

z1000 mirrors helped a lot and so did a power commander, as well as removing the crossbar from my aftermarket atv mid handlebars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode