Gas cap lock getting stuck - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Gas cap lock getting stuck

Yesterday when I went to refuel, I couldn't get my gas cap open with the key. Luckily I had enough gas to make it to my destination and back. I tried to remove the cover with an alan wrench (the bolts around the silver-ish ring) but had no luck.

Somehow this morning with the key I got it open and was able to refuel. I forced the key down and turned at the same time.

I'm afraid that this will happen again in 230miles. Has anyone else experienced this problem? My bike is still under warranty, so I'll probably have them take a look at it unless it's just a simple lubrication needed.

Thanks,
David
[email protected]

_____
Little Rock, AR (previously Raleigh, NC; Morehead City, NC; and Virginia Beach, VA)

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Bought in May 2008 and have 58,000 miles on it as of July 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 AM

Press down hard while turning the key. Mine is the same way. You will get used to it.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:45 AM

When closing the gas cap, don't touch the key, just push down on the cap, key will turn and just pull out. If you try and close it by turning the key it can screw it up.

I use Teflon spray lube down the key hole with a straw, or WD-40, both will help free the lock up.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 01:32 PM

happening here too...will try your recomendations

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 PM

Mine has done it too. A little WD-40 and it works fine.

Ahh, Earth Day, the only day of the year where being able to hacky-sack will get you laid.
-Jon Stewart
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:26 PM

Mine did the same thing so I sprayed a little of the Dupont Teflon spray it and it works great now!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:54 PM

my bike did it too, only there was a lot of corrosion in there and on the little flap that covers the key hole, it appeared in the form of white powder, i soaked it heavily in wd-40, so far it works fine, i think the problem is that since the versys gets such good mileage combined with a big tank, it could be two weeks of riding between fillups.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 PM

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by amschemel View Post
my bike did it too, only there was a lot of corrosion in there and on the little flap that covers the key hole, it appeared in the form of white powder, i soaked it heavily in wd-40, so far it works fine, i think the problem is that since the versys gets such good mileage combined with a big tank, it could be two weeks of riding between fillups.
Mine has been really hard to get out and in a few times, but for the most part, it works OK. I noticed the white powder stuff around the keyhole too. It's aggravating - I never had the problem with the cap lock on the Ninja.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 02:44 AM

Pressing down on the front of the petrol (gas) cap is the reccommended way of opening and closing the cap, according to the handbook, as its kind of spring loaded. I think several folk on the UK forums have bent or even snapped the key in the cap lock.

Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 AM

Also on the UK forum a locksmith stated in no uncertain terms that a graphite lubricant was the stuff to use to avoid future problems.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Is Your Key BENT? Mine got twisted when I used it on the seat lock once and then I had issues with the gas cap until I made it straight.

Juast a thought
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridleyman View Post
Pressing down on the front of the petrol (gas) cap is the reccommended way of opening and closing the cap, according to the handbook, as its kind of spring loaded. I think several folk on the UK forums have bent or even snapped the key in the cap lock.
It's how I do it & never had a problem...

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 AM

The first fill up in the spring I had this problem. I did the same as others and sprayed some dupont teflon in the lock and worked it with the key. At first I thought I was going to break the key but that didn't happen. Since then I purchased stronger keys from someone selling them on the forum. They are made from steel and have a smaller head which I prefer.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for these recommendations. Yes I generally push down to relieve some of the stress. I guess the lubrication will help. Where do you get this dupont teflon? Home Depot? Auto parts store? Should I make sure not to drip any on the painted tank and not to get any in the tank, or is that a big deal?

It's very frustrating to have the gas cap get stuck when you're in a hurry and in need of a quick fill up!!

_____
Little Rock, AR (previously Raleigh, NC; Morehead City, NC; and Virginia Beach, VA)

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Bought in May 2008 and have 58,000 miles on it as of July 2014
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 PM

The teflon lube can be found at Lowe's. I use it to lube my chain and I happened to have some with me at the gas station. If you use the included red straw you should easily be able to lube up the lock with out getting any on the gas tank. I don't think it would be a big deal if you did get some on the tank but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

I haven't used the graphite myself but it should work great as well.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 PM

Theres stuff called lock-ease (the graphite stuff) avalable at Lowes and Home Depot and ace hardware
,use it on locks,it works the best because thats what its for.Follow linky
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1425217

AMA EAA STN

Last edited by maddjack; 09-03-2009 at 03:35 PM.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Pushing down while turning the key also works well when unlocking the seat. And Lock-Ease or powdered graphite are the only things that should be used to lubricate a lock. Anything else will attract dirt and grit and give trouble later.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 PM

+1 on Lock -ease. Stuff works great. I also recommend a product called Tri-Flow. Use this teflon spray on a lot of things at home. I don't recommend WD-40, it's somewhere between 80-90% penetrating oil, what little is left is lubrication. WD-40 is however great starting fluid for your lawnmowers! Try it and you'll be surprised.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the lock ease info, I've been having a hard time finding the graphite lube.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 AM

Any good locksmith shop will have both graphite and Lock-Ease.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gas cap, gas cover, gas lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode