Water inside swingarm - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Water inside swingarm

Hi

This summer we had plenty of rain in Sweden and I suppose there has been some rain in the USA too?

When driving in rain it's accumulating water inside the swing (at least on the left side)

There is a drain hole on the left side (on the underside of the swing between the bobbin hold and the rear axis nut). This hole is always sealed with dirt, you will have to clean the hole with a nail and then you will see the V "pee" probably up to 50 cl of water.

Why is there no hole on the right side ? It must be accumulating water there too.

How about rust?

Here is another thread on this subject (Versys UK-forum)

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=3524.0

Last edited by CPHB; 09-02-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Good point, CPHB. I saw that thread before, and we did get a lot of rain until recently here. I'll have to check mine too. I haven't ridden in the rain much, but have crossed a couple creeks, and also washed it a few times.
By the way, upon removing my rear swingarm to inspect and grease its needle bearings, I found that the swingarm's inner bearing bushing (inner bearing race) was nearly seized tight (no rust or oxydation) in the needle bearings, and wearing in on the mount bolt and within the frame already at only 2600 miles on the Versys. The inner bushing is supposed to stay put with the mount bolt in the frame, with the needle bearings rotating around it with the swingarm... I smoothed down the bushing with wet 1500 grit silicon-carbide waterproof sandpaper, then polishing compound, wiped it all clean and re-packed with synthetic grease. The bushing fits a bit loosely within the frame which has to be torqued down on it, so I secured it back at 90 ft-lbs instead of 80. It's rotating nice and smoothly now, and I don't get that strange feedback in sharps bumps like I used to.

Last edited by invader; 09-02-2009 at 03:48 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:45 AM

The gull-wing swingarm on the right side is aluminum, it won't rust so thats why there is no hole there.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JehanQuadi View Post
The gull-wing swingarm on the right side is aluminum, it won't rust so thats why there is no hole there.
And on the left side itīs not aluminium? ( OT:In Sweden we say banana-swing insted of gull-wing)

Last edited by CPHB; 09-02-2009 at 08:56 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Left side also appears to be aluminum, or at least its not steel anyway. I tested it with a magnet, it didn't stick so its not steel No worries about either side rusting I guess.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
LOL! It's an all aluminum swingarm. Aluminum does oxidize. The outside is protected by primer and paint, but I'm not sure about all the way inside it.

Last edited by invader; 09-02-2009 at 02:44 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
LOL! It's an all aluminum swingarm. Aluminum does oxidize. The outside is protected by primer and paint, but I'm not sure about all the way inside it.
Yes aluminum does oxidize but does not rust. Unlike rust which flakes off, aluminum oxide hardens on the aluminum forming a protective barrier against further oxidation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode