dyna balancing beads - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
dyna balancing beads

Hi all,

The time is nearing when I have to change my tires (6.2K presently). I have all the parts and tools required including dyna balancing beads, with 2x 2 ounce bags. If this has been covered before else where, I apologize, but my question is how much do I put in the front? I read somewhere that it only needs 1oz. but others have put 2oz. Is there an adverse effect if I put 2 oz. for the front? I know that the rear will require 2oz.

What have you guys done? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Hi all,

The time is nearing when I have to change my tires (6.2K presently). I have all the parts and tools required including dyna balancing beads, with 2x 2 ounce bags. If this has been covered before else where, I apologize, but my question is how much do I put in the front? I read somewhere that it only needs 1oz. but others have put 2oz. Is there an adverse effect if I put 2 oz. for the front? I know that the rear will require 2oz.

What have you guys done? Thanks in advance.
Check their web page - 1 oz F, 2 oz R. You can get the beads quite a lot cheaper from Fox Industries, I believe.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 PM

I'm running 1oz front and 2oz rear as recommended by the dynabeads people.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I had a bad experience using Dyna beads. I took my wheel in to have a tire installed, then put the beads in when I got it home. The installer must have used too much tire lube because the beads gathered together in a clump that stayed in one place. Not a pleasant experience riding with the front wheel way out of balance. I took the wheel to another shop where they removed the tire and cleaned up the mess, then balanced with weights.

I know, I should install my own tires, as I do all other maintenance myself, but would rather spend time and money (for tire changing gear) elsewhere, plus the place I took it to (2nd time) is owned by a friend (Third Wheel Trailers) and I didn't know that he changed tires. He only charged me $20 (friend rate) so I will give the business to him to help him out.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
It is a lot easier to insert the beads while installing the tire than trying to get them through the valve stem after the fact. They've worked great for me doing my own tire installs. Their advantage is you can do your own balancing easily. If a shop does the tire install they don't
Really have a significant advantage over weights.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I'm running 1oz front and 2oz rear as recommended by the dynabeads people.
Would it be a bad idea to put 2 ounces in the front wheel as well? Is there such a thing as too much beads? Thanks again in advance.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Would it be a bad idea to put 2 ounces in the front wheel as well? Is there such a thing as too much beads? Thanks again in advance.
I'm running a rear tire on the front (a 130/80 Tourance), so 2 oz would work. IF you use 2 oz in a normal front tire, I don't see ANY reason to be concerned!

What I do recommend is - BECAUSE the beads can get into the tire valve and jam it open enough for an air-leak IF they're in the rubber part of the stem near the valve - I ALWAYS give the tire a "burst" of compressed air BEFORE checking the pressure w/ a gauge (to force any beads back into the tire) THEN check pressure.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The beads distrute themselves to balance the tire so i dont see an issue with 2 oz in a 120/70-17.

A rear tire is made differently than a front tire and weighs more hence you need more beads for that reason. Any imbalance will be greater with a heavier or larger tire.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Last edited by twowheels; 02-25-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I don't think it'll be a problem. I Googled "Dynabeads FAQ" and found this:

My tire size is on the cusp between two weights, is it better to go with the higher or lower recommended weight of beads?
Excess beads inside of a tire simply distribute themselves evenly inside of the tire, and have no detrimental effect. If you should pick up some mud/dirt/a stone in the tread on your wheel or tire, the extra beads would then automatically redistribute to compensate for the added unbalancing weight to maintain perfect balance. That is why we recommend an extra 1 ounce for off-road riders. So if I were choosing between two weights for a given tire size, I would personally always go to the heavier size to give that margin of safety.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 09:16 AM

I changed my tires earlier this year using the Cycle Hill Tire Changer and tried the Dyna Beads to balance them for the first time. I installed the beads through the valve stem quickly and without any issues (via the supplied bottle and tubing). The tires were instantly in balance, and after over 3000 kms on the tires this year, I'm a Dyna Bead convert. I will be using them in all my tires from now on.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 AM

They are expensive and not available locally, shipping makes them even more expensive. It was way cheaper for me to get a balancing stand and some weights... And I can reuse the weights.

My only experience with Dynabeads was a royal mess. I was in Lafayette, LA in desperate need of a rear tire. Got a rear Q3 at cyclegear, good tire for canyon riding or trackdays, a waste of money for touring/commuting, it just wears out too fast. On the bright side they are very cheap, but Cyclegear wouldn't mount it on my bike. So off I went to a local cycle shop, something or other Customs, they dealt mostly with Harleys and choppers...

I paid 1 hour shop time, plus shop supplies, plus the stupid dynabeads, after tax it came up to $110 (i paid $160 for the tire), but beggars can't be chosers. Either way, as I rode off the bike shop it was smooth, but then I noticed that sometimes it would vibrate, sometimes it would be perfectly balanced. It wasn't until a couple months later, back home, that I got a flat tire so the Q3 had to come off to patch it from the inside...

The stupid lazy mofo mechanic just made a hole in the bag the dynabeads came in and tossed it inside the tire, it still had about half the dynabeads inside it! That's why sometimes it would be smooth and sometimes really out of balance, it just depended on where the bag with half of the beads was.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Sounds like the "royal mess" was with the mechanic, not with the Dyna Beads.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

You can buy much cheaper "beads" from here:
http://foxindustries.com/products/gr...rinding-beads/
IF you can get the fellow to check - ask him for the same size they supplied to me in Florence, AZ.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You can buy much cheaper "beads" from here:
http://foxindustries.com/products/gr...rinding-beads/
IF you can get the fellow to check - ask him for the same size they supplied to me in Florence, AZ.
1.5 mm Zirconium Silicate Beads. These are the ones I have been using from fox.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM

Yep Dyna beads look feel identical to bead blasting media. That's what I've been using too, much cheaper.

Also like Fast Eddy says they'll jam your valve stem (at the worst possible time). I try to get the valve at 6oclock and give it a couple taps before checking. There are filtered valve cores, that's prob the best idea. I'm not that smart though.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 06:11 AM

Don't use em. I had a discussion with a tire rep and they said that because they are always moving inside they are wearing on a surface not designed for it and will cause problems eventually. Using more than recommended will just accelerate the issue further.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter650 View Post
Don't use em. I had a discussion with a tire rep and they said that because they are always moving inside they are wearing on a surface not designed for it and will cause problems eventually. Using more than recommended will just accelerate the issue further.
I been using the beads for 4-5 years on different bikes and change my own tires. When I was riding a lot I was changing a tire about every 4-5 months and never seen a problem .
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter650 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I been using the beads for 4-5 years on different bikes and change my own tires. When I was riding a lot I was changing a tire about every 4-5 months and never seen a problem .
I've used them for MANY THOUSANDS of miles. NEVER had an issue, nor have I noticed any wear when I change tires....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:35 PM

I can recommend Ride-On, a liquid balancer and sealant. When I had my tires changed the shop could not balance the front tire -they tried a couple of times before I gave up and bought this product. No bouncing front end anymore...
http://www.ride-on.com/

Anders B.
Sweden
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 09:25 AM

fyi

From their website:
Dunlop does not recommend the use of dry or liquid balancers/sealers and will not warrant tires into which these materials have been injected.

when spending 2-300$ on a tire, anything that voids any warranty coverage isn't worth it to me. Especially with what happens if the tire fails catastrophically while riding. But along the same idea, lots of people still smoke even though the health concerns are well known, so each to their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode