Fuel Gauge Issues Resolved - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Gauge Issues Resolved

My 08 V Gas Gauge had been slowly miss-computing the amount of fuel, showing 1/2 full after topping off. At 6 months old it was 1/4 tank off. Anyway, just to let everyone know, I took the bike to Ellicot City Motosports outside of Baltimore and they sweet talked Kawasai into fixing the problem even though the bike was two weeks past warranty.

The problem turned out to be a faulty reader/gauge inside the tank.

Many praises to Ellicot City Moto. This is the second warranty job, the first was the Head Light Rattle. More amazing is that I purchased the Bike in Oregon!!

Please keep this shop in mind for your work.
Keep the rubber side down.

VerSteve
ps Great thread on the Seat Repair using a front filler under the existing foam and Velcro strips for re-attachment. Just finished mine and looking forward to a test ride.
I hate Smilies, unless my knees are dragging!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for letting us know. It's always good to hear about a positive dealership experience...

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 PM

One thing about Versys is the gas gauge seems to go down faster than most of my other bike. Most bike seem to show full bar, and suddenly drop and warn u that low fuel.

There are 6 bars, when I fill up, all 6 bars shows, just riding around a little, it become 5 bars... After about 100 miles or so, only 2 bars show. After about 130 or so, only one bar show...

When there is only 1 bar less, I can ride around till almost 200. I always fuel up before FUEL start flashing...

My average MPG is good though... I am getting 45-55, depends on how I ride.

Wonder how others versys gauge behave...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 01:35 AM

I can get around 220 miles before the FUEL warning appears, sometimes a wee bit more.

Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
One thing about Versys is the gas gauge seems to go down faster than most of my other bike. Most bike seem to show full bar, and suddenly drop and warn u that low fuel.

There are 6 bars, when I fill up, all 6 bars shows, just riding around a little, it become 5 bars... After about 100 miles or so, only 2 bars show. After about 130 or so, only one bar show...

When there is only 1 bar less, I can ride around till almost 200. I always fuel up before FUEL start flashing...

My Versys' gauge works the way I expect it to. It starts after a fill-up with all of the bars and then decreases monotonically until I get the fuel alarm (or whatever it is called) about 200 miles. Around the time I get the alarm, I have just a bit more than 0.9 gallons of fuel left in the bike.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
My Versys' gauge works the way I expect it to. It starts after a fill-up with all of the bars and then decreases monotonically until I get the fuel alarm (or whatever it is called) about 200 miles. Around the time I get the alarm, I have just a bit more than 0.9 gallons of fuel left in the bike.
According to the manual, when only 1 bar is showing, you have 1.2 or 1.3 gallon left, when FUEL showing you have 0.9 gallon left.

Is your 1 bar accurate? my 1 bar is not accurate, I can still go quite a distance with that one bar... after another 20-30 miles and if I put gas in, I can only put in 3.5 gallon or so.

My gauge go from 6 bar to 1 bar quick, 1 bar seem to last a long long time... Kind of off, I think. Not really a big deal but nice to have a more accurate gauge...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 PM

Mine seems to give me around 30-35 miles per bar.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post

Mine works exactly the same way. It's different than other bikes I've had but I like it and it's very understandable. I've ridden bikes for years before we had gas gauges. It's a nice feature to have, for sure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode