FEEL SUPERIOR. Help a moron by answering an electrical question. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question FEEL SUPERIOR. Help a moron by answering an electrical question.

This is your big chance to be smug and help out an ignoramus newb in the process. I'm not looking for another question or puzzle in reply to my question, just a simple answer.
On the stock headlight-to-bulb plug, is the top lug the power or ground side? Thanks in advance for your simple and, one hopes, correct reply.
Tally ho,
BarryEss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Banned

Wink

Invader will be along soon!!!!

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I am not where the bike is, but if you have a voltmeter you can find out for yourself.

Or you can look at the different color wires and see what goes with the schematic in the electrical section of the service manual.

The ground wire is usually black with yellow stripe.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
As it is a Halogen bulb - a 2 pin bulb will not matter which way the plug is connected - it will just work. But be careful if you switch to anything else like HID or LED as Polarity DOES matter.

AS to which wire in the plug is Positive and negative you either have to use a multimeter, or tell us the colour of the wire.

2010 Versys
High = R/BK (Red/Black) and BK/Y (Black/Yellow)
Low = BL/Y (Blue/Yellow) and BK/Y (Black/ Yellow)

BK/Y (Black/ Yellow) is Negative/Earth
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I am not where the bike is, but if you have a voltmeter you can find out for yourself.

Or you can look at the different color wires and see what goes with the schematic in the electrical section of the service manual.

The ground wire is usually black with yellow stripe.
Ah, one of those answer a question with a question replies that I spoke of. If I (a) had a multimeter and (b) the requisite tools to remove the middle fairing and windshield in order to see the wire colors, I'm sure that this would be the road I'd take.

Thanks anyway. Next.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
As it is a Halogen bulb - a 2 pin bulb will not matter which way the plug is connected - it will just work. But be careful if you switch to anything else like HID or LED as Polarity DOES matter.

AS to which wire in the plug is Positive and negative you either have to use a multimeter, or tell us the colour of the wire.

2010 Versys
High = R/BK (Red/Black) and BK/Y (Black/Yellow)
Low = BL/Y (Blue/Yellow) and BK/Y (Black/ Yellow)

BK/Y (Black/ Yellow) is Negative/Earth
Again, an answer that is out of my range of possibility. No multimeter and cannot see the wires. One previously undisclosed piece of info, whether it matters or not, the bike is a 2008. I am able to get my hand in from underneath and see enough to recognize that the harness and plug mount from the left. I am installing a headlight modulator. Once I know whether the top tab is power or ground, I'm home free. I can do it blind. Don't need a multimeter, don't need tools to remove the mid-fairing or screen. Just plug and play, with a few wire ties in strategic spots. Put it another way...There are 3 female spots on the plug: 2 horizontals and one vertical (which I believe is blank). Which one is the power side? Can anybody tell me WITHOUT using the word "multi-meter" or its equivalent?

FWIW, I may actually own a functioning multi-meter, but everything I own is in shipping crates except for a few carpenters' tools, some really ****ty screwdrivers, and a haphazard assortment of drill bits. I am unable to access anything else until my kids come and get all of their stuff out of my shed. This is why I'm asking. Otherwise I wouldn't endure this level of embarrassment.

Thanks, truly though, for ALL your efforts.
canit likes this.

Last edited by BarryEss; 02-21-2014 at 01:44 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 02:23 AM

BarryEss,

I wish I could help you, but I can't. I do however, find your replies to others' posts quite amusing...thanks for some chuckles...

In an attempt to offer some assistance, I decided to look at the 2007 service manual. I didn't get very far before realizing I couldn't make much sense of it all. The electrical diagrams weren't helpful to me and the pictures didn't have any these things labeled. I wonder though if the bulb can be placed in the housing with either end up, or the connector attached in either orientation thus making it so that either the ground side or the power side could be up and the only way to know would be to look at the wires (or test with a volt meter) as others have suggested. Maybe this is why the other replies didn't meet your criteria? I don't know, just thinking out loud really...

Sorry I wasn't able to provide a simple answer. And feel free to add me to the list of people who replied with a question

I hope you find your answer soon...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah the top lug is the ground for both high and low beams. Ground wire is usually black with yellow tracer, as mentioned by twowheeladdict... Bulb will still work if wires are reversed.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 AM
MTS

Does feeling superior feel good? LOL

After years of being a complete moron, these are the thoughts I have!

BarryEss I'm with BaileyMan you cracked me up!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 02-21-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 09:56 AM

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Damn, that guy can't sing for squat, but I want the backup music for my ringtone
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Hallelujeh!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yeah the top lug is the ground for both high and low beams. Ground wire is usually black with yellow tracer, as mentioned by twowheeladdict... Bulb will still work if wires are reversed.
Invader,
I am in the digital presence of greatness. My wife, a college instructor, says that any shlub can teach a bright student, but it takes a REAL teacher to break it down so that the slow ones can can the picture. Thanks for helping me back on the short bus with a CLEAR, SIMPLE ANSWER. You ARE superior. Should we ever meet in person, I owe you a decent beer or three.
Thanks again,
BarryEss

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 PM

Britmick was right! Along came invader...

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryEss View Post
Damn, that guy can't sing for squat, but I want the backup music for my ringtone
He was singing??
Funny, tho' and a good funk groove.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 08:02 AM

Wherever you decide you're going to splice in the modulator, take each wire and touch it to someplace on the frame or known ground. If it sparks and blows your fuse, that is - I mean was - your hot wire.

2003 Honda RC51
2006 Honda CRF450R
2008 Kawasaki KLX450R
2009 Kawasaki Versys

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCyclist View Post
... If it sparks and blows your fuse, that is - I mean WAS - your hot wire.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
So... now that you stipulated that you have a 3-pin connector...
generally speaking a 3-pin H4 connector has a | _ | type of pin layout can be used for a 2-pin H7 bulb.

Using the pin layout "|_|" convention as it is hard to represent the "-" at the top with characters!

Left "|" is High Beam +'ve,
Bottom "_" is Low Beam +'ve,
Right "|" is earth -'ve

Just take a look at these images: (most of the Pic show the socket rotated so the "_" is at the TOP.
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=h4...w=1428&bih=819

Now what is actually wired up to our headlights, is 2 wire in a 3-pin H4 socket using only the | and | positions are used.
If we are using common H4 wire pinouts we can assume that the Left side "|" is +positive if the "_" is at the bottom (wire not used), Right side "|" is earth -'ve.

Again... this is convention so you still have to check in case it was wired opposite to convention!
You always have to check!
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I just love when someone wants someone else to do all the work for them. Some people just shouldn't be working on their own bikes.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 PM

Dang Barry, one might think you a troll.

Morons (or humble people that understand they may not have requisite knowledge) actually appreciate any helpful advice, even if it asks another question or creates a quandary. I know you're far from a moron, but if you come here asking questions, you can't be too picky of the response.

I've been here about a year, and can tell you there are several very helpful people here. If you don't think you'll be satisfied with the form of the answer or want to put such strict parameters on the responses, then consult elsewhere.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 07:02 AM

we all have to start somewhere and we're not all rocket scientists
forums are a great place to find things out before you break stuff & sometimes the more basic questions lead to items you may never have thought about.
I try not to make all my own mistakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode