To LED or not to LED?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To LED or not to LED??

I live in rural Mid-state TN. An Area known for deer & I'm always looking for better lighting to avoid same! I saw an Ad in last month's "MOTORCYLIST" for a 25/25 watt Cree LED H4 unit which will now fit my Versys I as salvaged an 80"s 7" headlamp after destruction of the stock "Cyclops" 2 years ago. 2 questions: U think this modern lamp will an improvement with the old reflector that was designed 4 a halogen bulb? & although this LED unit is fan cooled do you think it will live considering both beams are (ON) on high beam? Cost is $80.00

Lean/Two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Don't have an opinion on your current setup, but more lighting the better. I have the denali LED lights from twisted throttle and they will show up any reflective material as far as the eye can see. Now if I can just get the local deer population to wear those reflective collars I'd be all set.

I do have them pointed a little off to the side to see more if the deer are in proximity to the road so I can slam on the brakes.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM

I think a solid h4 bulb will be better than the led set up. I've talked to my friends at length on this subject.

Hooligan

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:10 AM

Baja Designs Squadron.
'nuff said

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 PM

The only thing that may NOT work out for the LED H4 is the 'point' source location of the light source. It is ideal to consider a point source of light but the true nature of a real lamp is that it is not close to being a point, rather a elongated point. The reflector cup was designed for the standard Halogen H4 to get the right focus beam. If the LED has the same point source location as the Halgoen, then it will work out. Else, there will be unfocused beam and more glare to on-coming traffic.

On better Halogens bulbs, a brighter bulb with the same power rating is achieved with making the light source as small as a point as much as possible. This theory works the same for any, whether it is halogen, LED, incandescence etc...

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode